Getting New Windshield - Advice???

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete the ex glass guy here...OK...the first thing to do is relax. Windshield replacement on a Viper is really no different than on any other car. Yes, you can goof it up installing it, but you can goof ANYTHING up on a car if you don't know what you're doing. It's a standard urethane job. If you take it to a competent shop, seeing that it's a Viper, they will already take extra care (hopefully). I always did.
Seek out the best shop in your area and just tell them beforehand you would like them to exercise extra care with your car.
That's it. Prices for the job vary because different shops charge different amounts for labor and glass. You'll probably get a MOPAR windshield, but if you're concerned about it, just simply ask what brands are available for it and choose what you want if there even is a choice. Hope this helps. pete the ex glass guy & hot rodder

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies!!! I spoke with the 'best' Viper mechanic in Texas, David Weaver at Maxwell Dodge in Austin, and he is going to hook me up with a guy that has done great work for him before!

If anyone has any additional info or tips for us, please post - Thank you!!!!

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There is a great glass shop here in Gallup, NM. They installed my Viper windshield for $450. I still can't get over that price. It is the correct replacement windshield and the job is perfect.

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to get a new windshield in the next couple of weeks (have a pretty big divot smack dab in the center) on my 94 RT/10.

What are some of the things I need to be aware of? A few questions I have off the top of my head are is this easy to do (in other words, can the install be messed up?). Can I get the original MOPAR windshield - seems like I would only want this? Any suggestions as to where to do it at?

Also, about how much does something like this cost (in case I just settle with them and then go find someone to put one in)?

Thank you!!!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CHECK YOUR LOCAL STATE LAWS!

I had to get a windsheild replaced on a 1973 Corvette Convertible about 5 yrs ago. My father told me that BY FL. STATE LAW, the insurance companies have to replace the windshields... by law! When I called the ins. co. they said "No" they would not do it, but after I informed him of the ins. clause or FL. law regarding this, he fessed up and quickly got a replacement glass for me. See every claim they have to do,it's out of their pocket and if they can get away with not paying out.. Biger bonuses!

Hope that helped..

Gerald

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete, the ex-glass guy, would be the most helpful here, but here's what he told me when I asked about this same thing.... (Hope he doesn't mind being quoted...)

"For complete w/shield replacement, which is what I recommend, you first need to call your insurance company and talk to them. They may or may not have a glass shop or two that they will try to "refer" you to. In some states they cannot do this by law. Others they can. They can't force you to use one of their shops, but what will happen usually is, that they will say, OK>>>if you want to use a different shop, then you'll have to pay the difference between what our shop charges us and what the shop you want is gonna charge. Get it?

Try to find the most reputable shop in your area. Here in Phoenix, we have a couple good ones, but I don't know about your area. I prefer taking the car in and leaving it. This does several things. It gives the installer a nicer place to work w/ all his tools right there if he needs something that's not on the truck, there is an additional guy to help set the w/shield, and they have compressed air to blow dust, dirt, or any glass bits that might occur during removal. The mobile installations
are OK, but it GREATLY depends on who's doing it.

For a car like a Viper, I'd take it in. But call your ins. company first and see what they say. Hopefully you have no deductible on glass. These babies are not cheap."

Also, make sure they use OEM glass. Probably not a big aftermarket glass availability on Vipers, but hey, who knows...

Hope this helps - and thanks to Pete, the ex-glass guy.