Gonna replace my OEM clutch, what to use ???

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I promise im not doing a damn thing without talking to my tuner. i dont make ANY decisions on this car without Doug. Just wanna get ideas and info first.

Car is over 800rwhp and hopefully going up a little this winter.

i have and like the LUK (OEM) clutch. Never a problem and its been on for about 8K miles and 5K miles of it at this power level. I drive the heck outta this car. TONS of highway pulls and no 1/4 mile BS....never slipped or anything.

reason im changing it is, its going south to Doug Levin at the end of feb for a few upgrades and the flywheel is coming off anyways, might as well change it now before its a problem. labor is gonna be cheaper to do it now rather than later.

what are the options on clutches ?? and place them in order of upgrade (worst to best) and if you have any more detail on it like part numbers/price/personal experience, please add that to this list...

You have::
OEM/LUK
centerforce dual friction
tilton
mcleod
spec 3
spec 3+
RPS ( PN # of the clutch (max series with pro pressure plate): MS-23048-EC-PRO )

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For your power level, the Spec 3 is the best match. The Tilton is overkill. The McLeod is also a bit much for this application (although if you like twin-disc feels and have spare $$$$, this the mcleod isn't a bad investment).

Most people destroy their clutches on the launch and not from spirited 50-150 driving. The spec 3 is a touch tighter than stock, but not by much. it will also hold the power quite well.

my .02... I run the spec twin disc myself. but it is too stiff for sitting in traffic a lot daily-driving.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats the price on a spec3 ? is it the next step UP from OEM ? or 2 steps ?

and you know im not likely to ever step foot on a track. keep that in mind too

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
plum ive been told newer gen3-4 etc will fit on our cars and like you i have never had a problem with my oem clutch and im in the 760 rwhp range look into those clutches

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, the stock clutch was good up to about 700(on multiple turns drag racing and still functioning), but anything higher it will heat up, slip and not shift properly when needed. I have used several types. I like the 6 puck ceramic clutches(old RPS design) utilizing the LUK pressure plate, holds more HP and feels very close to stock, but have a scatter shield.

the next step is for me to go with a Spec 3+ on my turbo car, which will happen this year (I hope). I am using the 6 puck in my Roe, but will probably change it to a centerforce in a few months.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info. So what power level is the centerforce good to? I am making 660/710 and will probably need to upgrade the stock clutch soon.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had centerforce clutches in the past, though not in a Viper application. The sound of the weights shifting around at idle used to drive me crazy. They may have overcome this issue over the years but it was annoying at best. Any current users?

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey phil we have a stock clutch in john's car. would rather have clutch as the weaker link than trans, shafts or rear.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kinda what ive been thinking and what DLM tells me.

if johns can handle it, mine can and he drives like as much of as @ss as I do... :)

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Spec Stage 3+ worked well with my Roe.

I also know many guys that keep using the stock clutch and replace it when it goes bad (cheap clutch). I'd go with whatever Doug recommends.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Spec stage 2 plus with a light chromoly flywheel works great for the street at that power level. The Spec stage 3 has harsh engagement.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had centerforce clutches in the past, though not in a Viper application. The sound of the weights shifting around at idle used to drive me crazy. They may have overcome this issue over the years but it was annoying at best. Any current users?

YES! Those weights still drive me crazy as well.

But one trip to the drag strip with some awesome 1.5x 60ft times killed it, but thanks to the weights I was able to get home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960