Good rears for high HP...

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to decide on a new set of rears for my car. 2001 GTS, Heffner TT.

I currently have BFG G force, wondering if I should continue with these tires or find something that might have better wear life. I do 99% street driving, concerns are grip and tread life.

Any suggestions?

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only tires I've seen sold presently in a 345/30-18 are BFG DR's and Pilot Sport Cups (unsure if still available). If you go with 335/30's, you have a few more choices.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, they're low mileage tires like the BFG Drag Radials (soft). I just bought the new Michelin Pilot Sport 2s since they're good for thouands of miles, symetrical and have better traction than the PS1s. According to this forum - they're the best.

Call JonB at partsrack for the best deal. I did.

Ted

OP
OP
C

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...

I was not too thrilled by how low the mileage on the BFG's were. Since I do SO much driving on the highway (this is my daily car), I need a tire that will give me grip AND life!

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
C

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright guys, I ordered PS2's....

Size-wise, tread-wise, etc. (on 18's), was this not the best decision? Should I have stuck with the BFG's?

Need some help here, tires were never a real concern before....

ViperBing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yah, they're low mileage tires like the BFG Drag Radials (soft). I just bought the new Michelin Pilot Sport 2s since they're good for thouands of miles, symetrical and have better traction than the PS1s. According to this forum - they're the best.

Call JonB at partsrack for the best deal. I did.

Ted

Have you tried them yet? How do they hook?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to PIR next week to try them out on the road course. Expecting great things.

Ted

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Zach,

Too bad about your car. I run either Kumho Ecsta V-700's or Nitto Drag Radials on the street. Both stick well and offer reasonable tread life.

PS2's won't work well at your power level and they will be dangerous when they are cold.

Dan

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You bought a TT and your worried about tire life and mileage????

My suggestion would be: (this is what I did for my S/C car)

1. Get a second set of wheels and tires for the rear. One set with street tires (better mileage, and for driving distances i.e.. PS2s') and another set with DR's for...."shttn' and gittn'"
2. Quaiffe diff. (This was a huge improvement as far as traction and control)

OR

Get a second car to drive to work

IMHO... What good is a TT when you sit and spin at the light because you can't "harness" all that horsepower and get it to the ground.

BTW...Please tell us how you like the TT and what was your reaction/feeling the first time you felt it "Spool up"

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah,

Nasty fire.