Got a challenge to race an airplane today!

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out in the yard this evening when a guy in a black Lexus stopped to talk to me. He asked if the blue Viper sitting in front on my house was mine. He said he lives about a quarter of a mile (12 seconds) from me and that he sees my car go by frequently. He then told me he builds airplanes for a living and has a commercial hanger on his property. Now I don't know airplanes, but he says these have 400HP engines and are fast. He just finished one and it is shipping out tomorrw. I guess I'll stop by and check it out.
At any rate, there is an airfield a few miles from here with a 5800 foot paved runway which he says is 100 ft wide. He has a lot of "pull" at this airfield and thinks he could arrange a side-by side drag race with my Viper. It sounds interesting to me. What do you all think?
Bob K

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds fun. Sounds safe. Why not? You don't get an opportunity like that every day. :) How many here can say they raced a plane? And when you win, what great bragging rights! :D

You must be registered for see images

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbine engines are pigs until they get high altitudes with better air, they aren't designed to dig from a roll. Those engines just aren't very efficient at low altitude. Prop airplanes aren't much better. It is easy to strap 400horse to a composite airplane, makes them very fast due to high horsepower and aerodynamics. Still not very fast at takeoff due to throwing all the horsepower to a prop to cut the air and pull the airplane. Ever notice how the P-factor takes control on these planes? (How so much horsepower and torque will cause the airplane to pitch violently in the opposite direction the prop is turning) Should be a no brainer for you. Many people with experimentals have strapped Nitrous to them also, not that uncommon, especially in time to climb races, etc. The airplanes at the Reno Air Races are just one big motor, one small pilot, and lots of nitrous. (not used all the time)

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ironically, once the secret to flight was out (wings! air pressure! etc) it made it almost impossible NOT to get something to fly .... so:

The odds of this plane being able to stay ON the ground over 100 mph is nil (although he can probably fly it 1 foot off the ground and really make some speed!).

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they as fast as a F16? The SRT beat one in the 1/4.

But lost at the halfway point by just about the same amount. Cool beans! :cool: BobK, make sure you get a video from multiple angles!

Mike

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Dad had a Cessna that I want to race. I know I would win. The only thing I'd be worried about is a prop kicking up rocks all over the car. If you do it, stay out in FRONT!

OP
OP
B

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update on this plane:
I went over to this guy's place this morning to check out the plane. It is a Lancer 4P (I think that is what he said). It has a 6 cylinder twin turbo (Garrett) engine with a 4 blade prop that puts out 400 hp. He says it is the fastest single engine plane in the world and sells for $500,000. It is capable of near vertical take-offs and cruises at 400mph.
He has one nearly complete and ready for delivery (actually it will still need the interior installed, all the inspections, etc.). He has to put 25 hours on it before final delivery so he says he messes around with them a bit. It takes him about 2 years to build one and he has 2 others in process in his hanger.
He is serious about racing my Viper so we will work out the details. No idea on exactly when it might take place but will keep you informed.

Bob K

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob K,
Be sure to let us ALL know when this takes place; maybe we can have a Viper outing to "cheer you on".
Later,

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome go for it, and get it on video, I'll fly out there to film if you want :p

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It may be something different to do, but you will smoke him.
That propeller is not near as efficient with the air as your tires are on pavement. I am surprised he is not aware of this. The Airbus 320 I fly with 50,000 lbs of thrust takes about 5000 feet to accelerate to 150 mph depending on the weight at takeoff. Have fun and let him eat your dust!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't take this challenge, tell him I will! I can't see a prop plane being able to cut enough air to pull him up to speed fast enough. In a quarter mile you should destroy him. Over a half mile he might be dangerous because once he is airborne he might start to gain on you fast. But like I said, I'd be happy to come down to take a shot at it if you don't want to!

PS. Have you seen him take off before? You can probably get a good idea of how fast he can launch from watching it. I'd be in awe if a prop plane regardless of horsepower can pull enough air to beat 8 seconds in an 1/8th mile. If he can, look for rubber bands strapped to the front of the plane!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte