Got another front license plate ticket

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got one last year; just got another tonight. Same city (my home city), but a different cop. It's absolute horse**** considering I see cars with no front plate literally every 9 or 10 cars that drive by, and that's no exaggeration. I told him the only reason he pulled me over was because of the car I was driving, and he admitted it; saying it stands out and that's their reason for pulling me over instead of a common car. I am sure another reason is that I am a young guy, but I didn't want to bring that up. I wasn't augmentative, just accepted it and moved on... Until the next time. I could have told him he deserved to be pulled over for driving without any headlights on past 9pm. I don't think that would have gone over too well though. The cop did compliment me on the car this time, but that doesn't make up for ****.

The sucky part is I wasn't even going to take it out tonight, I haven't even driven it on a weekday yet this year. I was ********** and wanted to take my mind off some things, so I took it out this evening for a relaxing drive. Whatever though, I am not about to deface my car over a couple of *********. A $100+ yearly donation to my lousy city is well worth it.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JonB sales a 3 second on/off bolt-less front plate bracket. I bought one because the Texas troopers promised to pulled me over everytime I left the house. No front plate problems here in Idaho.

OP
OP
J

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I keep mine in the trunk with the license plate attached lol. I am past the point of trying to bull**** my way out of tickets with it though.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I used to get 2-3 per year in IL, then i moved to GA where they only give you one plate. Weather is a bonus too :)

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I keep mine in the trunk with the license plate attached lol. I am past the point of trying to bull**** my way out of tickets with it though.

Just tell them "I take it off when I go into the stores, so people don't steal it.... I just forgot to put it back on." Then put it on, and he may just say "ok, fine."

who knows.

OP
OP
J

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just tell them "I take it off when I go into the stores, so people don't steal it.... I just forgot to put it back on." Then put it on, and he may just say "ok, fine."

who knows.

I tried that last year, but it didn't work. I don't really want to lie or act like a ****, otherwise I will have a target on my back by the whole police force. I'll pay the thing and move on.. Just frustrating it happened on an already ****ty day for me. When it rains, it pours.

I found this article to be pretty hilarious.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/dayton/news/2011/may/31/law-enforcement-opposed-dropping-front-license-plate

If they're so worried about tracking down lawbreakers, why don't they ever enforce the rule on beaters and every day cars with sketchy looking drivers? Nah, instead they go after the flashiest looking cars possible. Like I am really trying to get away with a crime in a bright yellow Viper roadster. Last year the cop gave me bull**** about how they use front plates to check for stolen cars. Maybe so, but if there's a stolen yellow Viper around town, you're going to know without needing to see the license plate. It's amazing how the cops in surrounding states are capable of doing their jobs without drivers having front plates attached. Just amazing.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jjp11, I don't know where in Ohio you are but I keep waiting to get nailed because I here stories like yours all the time. I'm between Akron and Canton and I cringe whenever they pass me on the highway. I agree, that's ugly on a viper and there are tons of regular cars without them.

The front plate is so your car can be identified if necessary... I think it's pretty easy to identify a viper running from the cops since they "kinda" stick out just a little bit from the average car.. don't 'cha think?. It's not like these cars are going to blend in and get lost in a crowd. I personally think there can be exemptions. If sombody knocks off a store in a red '57 chevy... do you think for a minute anyone is going to take the time or effort to memorize his plates? Same here with you... I think "It was a yellow viper" or "a yellow looking race car" or "a bright yellow exotic" or whatever would pretty much do the trick to help the cops nab you if needed. :crazy2:

Sometimes there is no room for common sense in society.

OP
OP
J

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jjp11, I don't know where in Ohio you are but I keep waiting to get nailed because I here stories like yours all the time. I'm between Akron and Canton and I cringe whenever they pass me on the highway. I agree, that's ugly on a viper and there are tons of regular cars without them.

The front plate is so your car can be identified if necessary... I think it's pretty easy to identify a viper running from the cops since they "kinda" stick out just a little bit from the average car.. don't 'cha think?. It's not like these cars are going to blend in and get lost in a crowd. I personally think there can be exemptions. If sombody knocks off a store in a red '57 chevy... do you think for a minute anyone is going to take the time or effort to memorize his plates? Same here with you... I think "It was a yellow viper" or "a yellow looking race car" or "a bright yellow exotic" or whatever would pretty much do the trick to help the cops nab you if needed. :crazy2:

Sometimes there is no room for common sense in society.

They're so damn full of ****. I had my 11 year old little brother in the car when I got pulled over last year. ******** didn't even give me a warning.

BTW... I am about 25 minutes south of Cleveland. I don't even drive in my home city much because it's hilly, boring, and the cops are *****.

Last edited:

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been getting slaughtered with the front plate tickets recently. At 60$ a pop, every few weeks, it starts to add up. I was having lunch with a friend about a month ago when I noticed a meter maid giving me a ticket. I ran out and asked what the problem was and he stated that the issue was no front plate. When I brought up the fact that the front plate law was only enforced in LA because of the red light cameras which have been disabled, he said it didn't matter. When I pointed out that every other car on that street also lacked a front plate and my car was the only one getting a ticket, he said he was going to leave the other cars alone. I'm getting rather sick of it. Has anyone installed those front plates that pop out at the press of a button, then fold away? http://ctsvracing.com/2012/04/14/powered-pop-up-license-plate-frame/ For me, it would pay for it's self in no time. I just want to make sure that there is a way to mount it in a viper grill. If it were under the front fascia, I imagine it would get ripper off on the first steep driveway.

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No kidding...It helped me choose to move to Florida over California because of the front License plate deal. I am not putting a front plate on my Viper or my other cars. They look terrible.

OP
OP
J

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been getting slaughtered with the front plate tickets recently. At 60$ a pop, every few weeks, it starts to add up. I was having lunch with a friend about a month ago when I noticed a meter maid giving me a ticket. I ran out and asked what the problem was and he stated that the issue was no front plate. When I brought up the fact that the front plate law was only enforced in LA because of the red light cameras which have been disabled, he said it didn't matter. When I pointed out that every other car on that street also lacked a front plate and my car was the only one getting a ticket, he said he was going to leave the other cars alone. I'm getting rather sick of it. Has anyone installed those front plates that pop out at the press of a button, then fold away? http://ctsvracing.com/2012/04/14/powered-pop-up-license-plate-frame/ For me, it would pay for it's self in no time. I just want to make sure that there is a way to mount it in a viper grill. If it were under the front fascia, I imagine it would get ripper off on the first steep driveway.

$60? You lucky bastard. They're $122 here.

The cop who pulled me over also followed me a good 5 minutes before turning on the lights. He pulled out behind me right before we reached a long, steep downhill. I know they run plates, but it doesn't take that long. No doubt he was hoping I'd get rolling too fast and go above 35, but I absolutely crawled lol. Again, he didn't even have headlights on past 9pm. I don't know if he was hoping I wouldn't see him or what. People had to be driving by and laughing at how I was about to get screwed with the way the cop was tailing me the whole way down. It was such a joke and so ****ing obvious what was going on.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I never realized it was that much of a headache (scam, racket, money making law). Lucky I guess, we don't have it here cause I'd probably be in the same boat as the rest of you! And I imagine they Love writing that ticket to A Viper Owner, & if he knows your mad that just MAKES HIS DAY! jmo

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just moved away from Dayton to Florida. No front plate, glad to be away from there. I can drive year round now too.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The joys of Michigan. No front plate law, no emissions testing, no carb requirements for mods. You can literally register and legally drive a dune buggy on the streets here, as long as it has a rear plate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen