Got in an accident..your estimate on damage by photos

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got caught in the rain last night. I knew to be careful, but evidently not enough. Traveling at 70mph while changing in lanes, I hit a puddle on the interstate. That was all she wrote. The back end came around, I steered into it, then it came around the other way. I tried to correct again, but it was too late. That's when the 360's began. In the process of spinning the nose of my car hit the passenger door of the car next to me. This sent me spinning into the median backwards, by the grace of God my car stopped in the emergency lane on the other side of the median just short of going into opposing traffic.

The car drives straight and true still, so I don't think there is frame damage. Except for the front of the car the rest appears to be ok. The door seams don't appear to be out of line. By the pictures, what are your opinions?

You must be registered for see images

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
coulda been worse.....

glad yer ok. im betting the guy on the wrecker did more damage to it.

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, yep I'm ok, though my back is a little sore. My thoughts were the same for the guy in the wrecker, I called a shop that does a lot of work of Vipers and he said he's picked up quite a few of them, so hopefully none for the worse.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very hard to just from those pictures. If you wash the car, and get pictures of the exact damage you find, as well as pictures of the frame if possible, would be very helpful.

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really doesn't look that bad, you really lucked outbig time IMHO. The body looks relatively good, if it's just minor body work, some popped screws on the fascia, and a hood alignment consider yourself very lucky. I've see those hoods go for 8K easy. I would guess barring any major damage with parts, labor and paint I would guess around 3500-5K. Good luck to you & please let us know what the outcome is.

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It really doesn't look that bad, you really lucked outbig time IMHO. The body looks relatively good, if it's just minor body work, some popped screws on the fascia, and a hood alignment consider yourself very lucky. I've see those hoods go for 8K easy. I would guess barring any major damage with parts, labor and paint I would guess around 3500-5K. Good luck to you & please let us know what the outcome is.

One corner of the hood, very small is damamged. You can see it in the photo. 8K for a hood! :shocked: I'll let insurance handle take care of it.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really does not look too bad, as mentioned the hood is a HUGE cost item but it looks really good, minor glass and touch up. Amazingly the front fascia looks fine also. Like Ulysses said, check the pan and the front frame horns. I would add check the bottom of the side sills as you went off road and might have touched down on them. All in all not bad. Be very thankful, the worst Viper accidents I have read about over the years have been spins into the opposite lane due to wet or cold conditions. You stopped just short of this kind of situation........ Glad you are OK!

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=470991&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you survived w/fairly light damage to the car and yourself. Gives me a headache just looking at it. Those big ole tires are just like waterskis in wet weather. Take care.

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One corner of the hood, very small is damamged. You can see it in the photo. 8K for a hood! :shocked: I'll let insurance handle take care of it.

In that case it will cost you $500-$1000. LOL

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which year is the car? A description of the accident would also help in identifying possible areas to check.

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Which year is the car? A description of the accident would also help in identifying possible areas to check.

It's a '01. A brief discription of the accident is above the photos. The front of the car was the only part to make contact with the other vehicle.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
have someone check the frame....the front is very thin and will surprise you on the hidden damage. some of the parts in the front crack pretty easy (radiator core). But the key is that you are okay....car should be an easy fix...good luck

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad your okay, from the sound of it, things could have been much worse.

I would be more curious to hear what the insurance company comes up with after they look at it.

Given how the hood is attached to the supports, is suspect that area may be cracked inside.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar accident. Total bill was 28,000$ with no frame damage and headlights/hood/fascia replaced/radiator support

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Im guessing approximately 10K, looks like the front support was pushed back, will need hood repaired, bumper repaired, repaint hood, front bumper and blend to door. Will also need probably some pulling on the front along with aligning everything etc is a lengthy process. Glad you are okay!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its too bad you arent closer up this way! I fixed an RT/10 in MUCH worse shape than that over the summer. Looked brand new when it was complete. Too bad the guy crashed it AGAIN 2 weeks after he got it back... Now its a next spring project!

Hmm, here is my rundown from what I can see;
-Needs a new bumper
-driver turn signal
-core support is most likely cracked
-touch up on door/hood
-touch up on sidesills assuming lower damage
-Frame Bent?
-Hood hinges bent?
-Various other parts in the area of impact such as ABS Hydraulic Actuator, ABS control Unit, Radiator, Condenser, Headlight

25K is a good estimate, assuming some major players arent damaged- IE, the frame, hood supports, etc.

Whatever you do- dont let the insurance company force you into anything!

If you end up needing any parts, give me a ring or send an e-mail and I can price them for you. As with any VCA member, you get 20% off list.

Thanks,

rae661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The worst part is now that you are Ok and no one was hurt--having to deal with the car damaged and the grief and cr@p you will have to endure. I was traveling home the other night on I-78 and had some nut behind me either right on my tail or 15 car lengths back. All of a sudden the traffic in front slams to a halt--I down shift and hit the brakes hard--thought for sure I would "tap" the car in front of me--when I think about about the guy behind me--if he was on me---I'd be toast!! Thankfully I missed the guy in front of me and the guy behind was trailing way behind. So moment avoided, but it got me thinking, if the accident did happen, I was sure I would be OK, but the expesene and the hassel it would be dealing with my baby hurt and all the grief from friends and family-----almost too much!

Glad you are OK, and hopefully you can get your baby up and road worthy shortly.

Bob

Mike 01 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your accident. Plum crazy is right, it could have been worse. I live in K.C. Missouri. A long way from you. I have experience with Viper repair. If you run into questions or problems feel free to call me (816)630-1700. Go to www.chuckanderson.com click on service parts and body shop and look at the Viper at the bottom. Very similar accident added up to $28,000 damage. The frame was bent and needed to be welded in. Call if I can help your shop of choice with any questions.

Mike

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the support and good will. $25-28k in damage! :shocked:
If the vehicle is worth $55, do you think Insurance will want to total it? Now that it has been wrecked, is it best that they do? Your opinions on this matter are appreciated.

Mike 01 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based off of two similiar accidents that I've repaired I doubt that the insurance co. will total the car unless there is frame damage on both ends. It will also depend on the unsurance co. and the experience they may or may not have working on Vipers. The car can be repaired "good as new" with todays technology. Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Based off of two similiar accidents that I've repaired I doubt that the insurance co. will total the car unless there is frame damage on both ends. It will also depend on the unsurance co. and the experience they may or may not have working on Vipers. The car can be repaired "good as new" with todays technology. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks Mike, State Farm is my insurance co., as large as they are, I imagine they've covered Vipers before.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it's a 2001, I don't think it will total the car (even if you find frame damage). Look under the front of the car and see if the frame section lines up perfectly straight. If possible, take the cash option from the insurance company. Aftermarket hoods cost under 4K and you will have profited from your accident.

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since it's a 2001, I don't think it will total the car (even if you find frame damage). Look under the front of the car and see if the frame section lines up perfectly straight. If possible, take the cash option from the insurance company. Aftermarket hoods cost under 4K and you will have profited from your accident.

hmmmm ;)

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BJH1,

The best advice I can give you is to make sure that the person doing the repair knows vipers. Many will claim to, few will actualy know. It is not just about knowing how to repair fiberglass. It is about knowing what else needs looking into after an incident like that.

Even if you need to ship your viper to another state, it will be worth your time and money to do so.

Unfortunatly the only person I can vouch for is in Los Angeles, and would probably not be much help to you. Hope someone from your area chimes in and suggest someone.

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BJH1,

The best advice I can give you is to make sure that the person doing the repair knows vipers. Many will claim to, few will actualy know. It is not just about knowing how to repair fiberglass. It is about knowing what else needs looking into after an incident like that.

Even if you need to ship your viper to another state, it will be worth your time and money to do so.

Unfortunatly the only person I can vouch for is in Los Angeles, and would probably not be much help to you. Hope someone from your area chimes in and suggest someone.

Russ, I appreciate your concern. I had the same concern, regarding who works on my car, when looking a place to repair. I called the dealership I bought my car through and the dealer was adamant on the same issue. He recommended a local shop that he sends all his Vipers to. Oddly enough a member here PM'd me recommending the same shop. So I feel satisfied they are competent.

Thanks,
Brannon

By the way, anyone have an opinion on how long work like this will take to complete?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte