Got ticket for tinted window

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some bored cop decided to make my life little less enjoyable today by issuing me a ticket for tinted windows and now front plate. I see sooooo many cars with the front tinted windows, regulart Hondas and Toyotas, but no he had to pick out Viper to make a little money on me.
Seriously, I can't believe these guys got nothing better to do, unless of course they have a quota to bring in from the shift.
Anyone ever took similar ticket to the court in CA and won the case?

WAM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No disrespect intended toward you. I probably should not reply because I don't intend to start trouble.

I thought one of the reasons for not allowing dark tint on side windows is so when a cop has a car pulled over he can see in when walking up to the car.

If my son was a cop I would want him to see what might be pointing at him. I would pull over EVERY car with dark tinted windows, give them a ticket and follow up if possible. Think of your son in that position.

Rules are set up and I don't always follow them but when I'm caught, I pay the price without complaint because I decided not to obey the rule.

As far as the front plate goes, I'm real happy that Pennsylvania does not require one.

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is a BS ticket but it's a safety issue for the police when making a traffic stop....they need to be able to see into the car.....if you're gonna tint your windows and run no front plate that's perfectly fine but you do know it's illegal so don't complain about it when you get a ticket for it.....

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
true, from a safety standpoint, non-tinted windows can safer for a cop, but its the insurance companies that push for that law because they claim you cant see safely out tinted windows at night. cops dont push for that law, its the insurance companies.

as far as the safety point goes, many states including IL allow tinted windows, and no noticeable difference can be found concerning cop safety between tinted and non-tinted states.

BTW - its not called a quota, its called a performace standard or something like that. the standard motivates lazy cops into actually doing something occasionally.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering how much was the ticket? I also wonder if this would cause a insurance increase? Its a BS ticket but sometimes you have to pay to play...I'm sure this happens to a lot of people dont let it hurt your day, my day will come i am sure, I have a light aftermarket tint which came with the car and no front plate :2tu:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ACR had tint on it but I was always driving with the windows down (day or night) so it was never an issue.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Move to a state where you don't need a front plate... problem solved. I see limo tint on cars all the time...w/ my luck- I'd get pulled instantly.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right, and the cop is right. This kind of ticket is within his rights to issue. The law says don't do it... end of subject as far as he is concerned. Now, having said that, they look for this kind of ticket as a "BS" ticket to issue. No cop with anything to do in his day is going to take the time to stop you for something as silly as this, unless he's just a "by the book" cop. Things like window tint, no front plate, covering up your plate so its not readable, items hanging from your rear view mirrow, burnt out bulb, etc, are all legitimate reasons to stop you, but are all used looking for something else, such as , drinking, drugs, no seat belt, etc. These are higher penalty, more serious infractions. Usually these mentioned stops will result in a warning because they are just not worth his time to issue a summons once he has figured out you have no "real" infractions. The key is to play nice with the cop and unless he just isn't a Dodge fan or believes his badge makes him a God, he will let you go.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Set up an LLC in Montana. Register your cars under the LLC. Montana has no state inspection, no excise tax on cars, and no sales tax. Think about that next time you want to buy a new car. Headers, mods, no problem. $1000 to set it up then registration fees on the cars which vary by year. Older cars get permanent registration. Seems like a good deal to me. I googled it. Your home state can't really do to much about it either after all you're driving a company car. Company just happens to be based in Montana. Google Deer Creek, Helena MT.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad Arkansas doesn't have a front plate. Missouri legislatures just voted to do away with their front plates.

As far as tinted windows, I always tell them to keep mine legal as I don't need the hassle.

Funny thing I was meeting an FBI agent for lunch one day, had never met her but didn't have any problem picking out her car when she drove up, with the numerous antennas and the dark, dark tint they have on their cars.

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You stood out to the cop more so than a Honda. : Makes sense
You broke the law, twice, and got the tickets to prove it. : Makes sense.
Your mad because you knowingly broke the law and got caught. : Makes no sense.

I too have no front plate and really dark tint. When I get pulled over, the windows go down and my hands go on the wheel. When the cop hands me the ticket I smile and tell him "I appreciate you doing your job.". I chalk it up to the price of being a bad ass.

diamond head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In CA the violation is a Fix-It ticket.

1. Have the tint removed and have a cop or court official sign off on it and send in the ticket and that would be that!

2. Pay the fine about $150.00 and keep the tint on. If you are cited again tint must be removed.

Illegal equipment most often cited by the CHP:

•Loud Stereo if heard more than 50 feet from the vehicle.
•Lack of front and rear DMV-issued license plates.
•Radar detectors are legal, but jammers, or any device which interferes with radar signals.
•Lowered frame that is lower than the lowest point of the wheel rim.
•Air and hydraulic suspension systems that are operated unsafely or with the vehicle lower than allowed.
•Tinting the front side windows and the windshield (except for a narrow band at the top of the windshield). Windows behind the driver's head may be tinted. If rear window is tinted, right-side mirror is required.
•Lack of white rear license plate light. It must illuminate the license plate, not project light behind the vehicle.
•Missing front and/or rear bumpers

Illegal Engine Modifications:
•Air Cleaner Modification - modifications to the air cleaner and/or its housing.
•Air Filter/Intake Modification - open element air filters, modifications to the air flow intake tract, heat risers/preheat ducts.
•Kits that include multiple engine modifications such as new cylinder heads and camshafts, or boring and stroking; engine changes using an engine certified for another late model vehicle application, with additional engine modifications .
Exhaust System/Exhaust Modification - exhaust manifold, exhaust headers, exhaust pipes, crossover pipes.
•Fuel Line Modification - devices designed to attach to or be inserted in the fuel line.
•Fuel System Modification - fuel filters, gas caps, pressure regulators.
•Intake/Exhaust System - a kit that includes both intake and exhaust components.

•Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal. Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.
•Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal.
•Tail lights other than red.
•Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red.
•Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks.
•Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear.
•Red lights to the front. They are illegal except on emergency vehicles.
•Tail lights that incorporate a bulb with a red tint or coating. In general, custom tail lights that incorporate a clear outer shell and red inner lens are legal. If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle.
•Tail lights that are too dim, washed out or show yellow, white or other colors.
•Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear.
•Driving with just parking lights on. Vehicles that have factory-installed automatic daytime running lights must meet federal requirements and are legal.
•Illegal decorative lights. All flashing decorative lights are illegal.
•Illegal windshield washer nozzle lights. Only white or yellow are allowed.
•Lights attached to tire valves.
•Lighted license plate frames (unless red).
•Illegal lights, whether or not they are operating. It is illegal just to have them on the vehicle.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should move out of that ****ing Communist ****hole of a state Comrade. California is the one place that I'd rather DIE than have to live there, and no, I won't visit either the mere thought of the place makes me want to puke!

In CA the violation is a Fix-It ticket.

1. Have the tint removed and have a cop or court official sign off on it and send in the ticket and that would be that!

2. Pay the fine about $150.00 and keep the tint on. If you are cited again tint must be removed.

Illegal equipment most often cited by the CHP:

•Loud Stereo if heard more than 50 feet from the vehicle.
•Lack of front and rear DMV-issued license plates.
•Radar detectors are legal, but jammers, or any device which interferes with radar signals.
•Lowered frame that is lower than the lowest point of the wheel rim.
•Air and hydraulic suspension systems that are operated unsafely or with the vehicle lower than allowed.
•Tinting the front side windows and the windshield (except for a narrow band at the top of the windshield). Windows behind the driver's head may be tinted. If rear window is tinted, right-side mirror is required.
•Lack of white rear license plate light. It must illuminate the license plate, not project light behind the vehicle.
•Missing front and/or rear bumpers

Illegal Engine Modifications:
•Air Cleaner Modification - modifications to the air cleaner and/or its housing.
•Air Filter/Intake Modification - open element air filters, modifications to the air flow intake tract, heat risers/preheat ducts.
•Kits that include multiple engine modifications such as new cylinder heads and camshafts, or boring and stroking; engine changes using an engine certified for another late model vehicle application, with additional engine modifications .
Exhaust System/Exhaust Modification - exhaust manifold, exhaust headers, exhaust pipes, crossover pipes.
•Fuel Line Modification - devices designed to attach to or be inserted in the fuel line.
•Fuel System Modification - fuel filters, gas caps, pressure regulators.
•Intake/Exhaust System - a kit that includes both intake and exhaust components.

•Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal. Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.
•Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal.
•Tail lights other than red.
•Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red.
•Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks.
•Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear.
•Red lights to the front. They are illegal except on emergency vehicles.
•Tail lights that incorporate a bulb with a red tint or coating. In general, custom tail lights that incorporate a clear outer shell and red inner lens are legal. If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle.
•Tail lights that are too dim, washed out or show yellow, white or other colors.
•Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear.
•Driving with just parking lights on. Vehicles that have factory-installed automatic daytime running lights must meet federal requirements and are legal.
•Illegal decorative lights. All flashing decorative lights are illegal.
•Illegal windshield washer nozzle lights. Only white or yellow are allowed.
•Lights attached to tire valves.
•Lighted license plate frames (unless red).
•Illegal lights, whether or not they are operating. It is illegal just to have them on the vehicle.

CHAOS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry for hi-jacking this thread..

Why is it a crime to have tinted windows?? To protect cops from what, the 99.5% of the population that never commits a crime? Does this mean we should all have our civil liberties abused because of a handful of criminals who the cops cant and/or choose not to stop anyway?

I swore to my god to defend our constitution and spent 5 years of my life in the Middle East that I will never get back. Lately I wonder if anyone even knows what the constitution is, because it gets suspended so regularly. To make things worse people think thats a good thing because it "protects" us from the "terrorists".

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1755

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a ticket for this in GA, but I live in TN.
I was driving back from FL (passing through GA on the interstate) and there were cops running radar everywhere on the side of the road as I got into Atlanta. I slowed down and made sure I wasn't speeding. A few miles later, I got pulled over and was not sure why. The trooper came up to my window and I was very polite and and asked him if I was speeding. He said no, that windows were too dark. I gave him my info and he went back to his car. I figured he'd see I had no warrants or anything and send me on my way. Nope, he came back with a ticket for the windows.
At this point I went off on him (I was already getting a ticket). Number one, I'm from out of state and passing though on the interstate. Sitting on the side of the interstate is one of the most dangerous places you can be. I told him it was irresponsible to risk his own life, my life and the lives of my three passengers by pulling us over on the interstate for nothing but window tint. There was a lot of argument over this point, but I won't go into it.
The other issue is that I don't live in GA, so how can it be legal to give someone a ticket from another state that is passing through for this? I understand radar detectors are illegal in some states, but you can turn those off. What are you supposed to do about something like window tint that can't be "turned off" when passing though another state? He said it was new law that any vehicle passing through the state can be cited for this. I looked it up and he's right. I would think a lawyer could take this high enough up to get it overturned, but it's not worth my cost to do it.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but it's just one of those things. If you play the game, you've got to be willing to pay when you get caught. It's a small ticket and no points, so your insurance doesn't go up. It was the whole dangerous situation and not being from that state that really set me off.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So let me put my fire proof undies on and post since I was in law enforcement for over 30+ years, seven of them spent in uniform. But in a very busy city department where vehicle traffic stops were almost a secondary concern.

The primary reason for the tint laws is due to concern over diminshed vision caused by some of the dark tints. Rear windows are OK with darker tint. It is the front tint. Most states have specified tint levels that can be measured by a meter. Put a heavy tint up front and combine that with some good sunglasses or night driving in poorly lighted areas and a driver's vision is restricted. As a side note, I NEVER gave a summons such as this. Most time when I did a V&T stop it was to find out more about a suspicious vehicle and its occupants.

The second safety reason is for a law enforcement officer who may have to approach a vehicle. Trust me it can be unsettling at times and you would want as much of an edge as you can get. Traffic stops at night are up there. Go to the link below. The officer (this happened in Montana) stops a vehicle for simply using the wrong lane, turns out the guy was drinking. If you listen closely you will hear the driver's handgun (a .41 magnum) not go off on the first pull. You now have a idea what can happen at a driver's door.

Hamilton Police shooting video

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had mine tinted but Legal Tint. It looks great especially with the Steel Gray color. I have never wanted real dark tint, cause I WANT People to see who's driving this Viper.

diamond head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the biggest reason is the insurance companys backing this law. They believe you can not see through tinted glass and you will get in an accident. :drive:

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I for one can't stand the "tint laws" I have asked local cops why do they think it is ok for them to have tint on their police cars....some have said that it keeps the heat off their $15000 computers in their cars :rolaugh: others say its to keep the car cool for the K9..and they didn't even drive the K9 car! :rolleyes: The last cop I asked was a DEA and said that the tint keeps people from seeing the drugs that they might have in the back seat?? Put it in the trunk for gosh sake:dunno: I am sorry but all my cars are tinted. I have 5% tint on the Viper and the TA. I have an excuse of my own.....I think that you are less likely to get car jacked at a traffic light with tint. The criminal is less likely to approach your car if they can't see who is behind the glass. :2tu: It also cuts down on theft if you have stereo equipment or other items in the car. Anyway, everyone has their own opinion. Its just kind of hard for me to justify the tint laws when all the local cops are running around with dark tint themselves. Whenever I do get pulled, the first thing I do is roll down the windows before the officer has a chance to get to the car so they can clearly see me!

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Set up an LLC in Montana. Register your cars under the LLC. Montana has no state inspection, no excise tax on cars, and no sales tax. Think about that next time you want to buy a new car. Headers, mods, no problem. $1000 to set it up then registration fees on the cars which vary by year. Older cars get permanent registration. Seems like a good deal to me. I googled it. Your home state can't really do to much about it either after all you're driving a company car. Company just happens to be based in Montana. Google Deer Creek, Helena MT.

This is a valid option for some, but for anyone considering this, do some thorough research first! A year or so back, I was THIS close to pulling the trigger on doing this for my vehicles, but just as I was getting all of my ducks in a row, the NY legislature put a provision in their annual budget bill that killed this. (I *could* have still done it, but I still would have owed the sales tax to NY, so it didn't make financial sense to do so from that aspect, but even less palatable in my case is, because I was looking to transfer vehicles that I already own, once the LLC owned them and I drove them in NY, the state could have forced me to pay sales tax on them *again*. Having to pay it once was bad enough!) The main reason I was looking into this was to avoid NY's annoying annual inspections, also many of my vehicles are older and thus could have qualified for a lifetime plate in MT, unlike NY where registration fees are due every 2 years; the sales tax avoidance was just a really nice bonus. Avoiding the annual inspections wasn't worth the "double taxation" risk to me though, so I had to pull the plug on the idea. :(

Anyway, the socialist states are getting wise to these Montana vehicle LLCs, so if you are looking to go this route, be very careful and do your homework!

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the biggest reason is the insurance companys backing this law. They believe you can not see through tinted glass and you will get in an accident. :drive:

Yep, that's probably true. (Actually, the biggest reason is probably because governments will use any excuse to impose additional restrictions and controls on people, even if there is no more valid reason than "because we can", but I digress...) :)

I agree that the traffic stop issue is a non sequitur. Vans and pickup trucks do not even need to have rear windows or rear side windows, and usually there is no limit on the amount of tint that can be placed on rear or rear seat windows so being able to see into the vehicle as you walk up isn't an issue. I would assume that any police officer who was concerned about his safety could instruct the stopped driver to lower their windows prior to approaching the vehicle, or they could even have the person step out of the vehicle from the safety of their patrol car.

I have darker than legal tint on a couple of my vehicles, both of them pickup trucks. (One I had the tint installed, the other was a truck purchased that way from Florida where the tint is legal.) If I have the windows up and notice a cop, I will usually roll the windows down. I've gotten one ticket for the tint, which was my fault because I was going through a traffic checkpoint and was talking to a friend in the car, and I forgot to roll the windows down. The tickets for this are a "fix it" ticket here, which means you can either pay the fine or if you can prove that you corrected the problem within a certain number of days, the ticket will be dismissed. I wasn't about to remove the tint, so I just paid the ticket. Shortly after that though, I kept my eyes open on eBay and snagged a couple of non-tinted windows from a salvage yard for a good price. They are currently sitting in a box in my garage. If I ever get another fix-it ticket, I'll just swap out the glass, drive down to the police station to have them verify the "fixed" vehicle, and then swap the tinted windows back into the vehicle as soon as I get home.

This may not be an option for the Viper where components are so pricey (replacement window glass for this purpose may be prohibitively expensive in comparison to the cost of paying the ticket), but I thought I'd throw that idea out there, just in case.

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Florida you can not drive without tinted windows so here it is the norm. It is a shame but most cops are just rejects who will never earn a good living. I guess that somehow makes up for their shortcomings in their little minds. After all did you ever see an intelligent person say I want to be a cop instead of a doctor or lawyer.

The safety part is such bull****.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My windows are tinted, but I believe not dark enough to be Illegal.But I got a statement from my eye Doctor due to I had Eye surgery in 07 & "Glare" hurts my eyes. ;) Went to The State Police & got a Permit for the Tint. Works every time. I Love being 100 % Legal.Makes it more fun to drive. I even wave @ the State Troopers when I pass them by.:drive: :drive:;) :2tu: You'll never win that Battle. Go Legal or keep paying up.After thousands of dollars, It finally sunk in.:lmao:

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Of course cops can have tinted glass on their cars. Same was they can drive while talking on their cell phones. And same as them using a laptop right on the dash while they drive. Same as them turning on their lights to go through a "no right on red" intersection. Or same as them videotaping you at a stop, but it being illegal for you to tape them. What's good for the goose is not enough for the gander.

2) If cops are concerned about their safety at a traffic stop, the answer is simple. As always, be smart and respectful. Roll down your window, turn the car off, and put both hands on the wheel. Don't make any sudden movements, and if you go for your registration or whatever, just speak up as to what you are doing. If the window is down even before the cop walks up, it's a non-issue. Personally, I think it makes no sense for a cop to give you a ticket over this, law or not, if you have circumvented any threat associated with it. As far as insuracne companies driving this, I somewhat doubt it. Cops don't work for insurance companies, and unlike seatbelt laws, there is no hard data on window tint causing accidents.

3) You can register a car in Montana or whatever, but you can get a ticket for renting or owning a property and having out of state plates for too long. Even in AZ, they hit me up for this. Except for a student in the dorm, everyone has to register locally. So this is not a perfect solution.

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got pulled over at 5 in the a.m for tint that the dealership had placed on my other car befor i bought it.So i just took it back to them they had there instal guy remove itthen i had to go show the cop it was off.I do believ that you can get smoked windows because they come from the window guys that way but if you have it added to the front driver/passenger side windows then it is illegal depending on the % of darkness of the tint is.As for front plates i know that most of the provinces have a mandatory front plate law but some of us are lucky to be in the good ones with just the read it when i pass you plates.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No disrespect intended toward you. I probably should not reply because I don't intend to start trouble.

I thought one of the reasons for not allowing dark tint on side windows is so when a cop has a car pulled over he can see in when walking up to the car.

If my son was a cop I would want him to see what might be pointing at him. I would pull over EVERY car with dark tinted windows, give them a ticket and follow up if possible. Think of your son in that position.

Rules are set up and I don't always follow them but when I'm caught, I pay the price without complaint because I decided not to obey the rule.

As far as the front plate goes, I'm real happy that Pennsylvania does not require one.

Anyone who has his window up when a cop walks up after being pulled deserves to be shot. 99% of people have the window DOWN.

Ron

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you should move out of that ****ing Communist ****hole of a state Comrade. California is the one place that I'd rather DIE than have to live there, and no, I won't visit either the mere thought of the place makes me want to puke!
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! And people from Cali move to Maui because Cali is too conservitive for them. :omg:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some bored cop decided to make my life little less enjoyable today by issuing me a ticket for tinted windows and now front plate. I see sooooo many cars with the front tinted windows, regulart Hondas and Toyotas, but no he had to pick out Viper to make a little money on me.
Seriously, I can't believe these guys got nothing better to do, unless of course they have a quota to bring in from the shift.
Anyone ever took similar ticket to the court in CA and won the case?

I sympathize with you. To an extent. I feel the tint laws are a little draconian especially here in MN where you can't go below 50% VLT. However, you know you were breaking the law so you have to accept the risk of getting fined. To say you only got pulled over because you were driving a Viper is just sour grapes. I've been pulled over three times for my window tint in my daily driver which is a low visibility car. All three times it was by the state highway patrol. They have a hard-on for illegal tint in this state. City police could care less it seems. First two times I got a warning. Third time I got a ticket. I know my tint is illegal and I choose not to remove it. I accept the risk of getting fined so it would be silly to gripe about it.

Why don't I remove it?

1. Most importantly....I'm not a threat to the police.
2. Security. The less thieves can see inside my car the better.
3. I think it makes the car look much better.
4. Pick up trucks, vans and SUV's are exempt from the law except for the driver and passenger door glass.
5. My tint would be legal in some other states. So all the arguments against dark tint are invalidated for that reason.

What about sunglasses then?? This argument makes no sense to me. I can honestly say I can detect no difference between my car with tint and my non-tinted Viper when I'm sitting inside. At night however, headlights in my rear view mirror are noticeably dimmer. Which is a good thing and probably should be #6.

When I get pulled over I roll both windows down (which you should do regardless if your windows are tinted), turn on my interior lights if it's at night, and put both hands where they are visible to the officer. At that moment there is no difference between me and #4 above. I had the opportunity to practice this method when I got stopped on the way home from work at 2am last week. That combined with not trying to BS the cop resulted in me going home with a warning for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang