GPS lap timer recommendations

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for a lap timer to be used for recording and analyzing lap times for road racing courses that is accurate and relatively easy to use. To be used in new ACR.
Thanks,
PAVenomRT/10
New_Viper_ACR_011.jpg

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda depends on your budget and need for accuracy. If you want to go the inexpensive route first,and you already have an Apple iPhone you can download Harry's Laptimer. If your going that direction get the Tom Tom cradle that has a little better GPS chipset built in. Don't know if anyone on the board has been following but if you have the newest iPhone the 4 the next version of Harry's will utilize the HD camera in the phone an overlay your g-forces, speed and time, with the addtion of the Kiwi wireless OBD2 plug ($150)it will display the RPMs as well.

With budget Traqmate seems to be the solution of choice I see at the track. They have a new HD version out with a specilized HD video camera coming out next month. Good Luck!

Richard

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A lap timer is nice but actually not very useful for more than "braggin" rights. You are much better off getting a system that will allow you to do data analysis and play back your session to get some real insights as to what you are doing. A system that will allow you to integrate video is best. There are a number of very good, reasonable cost options out there: Traqmate, Aim, Chase, Racepack etc

Cheers,
Jim

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lap timer is nice but actually not very useful for more than "braggin" rights. You are much better off getting a system that will allow you to do data analysis and play back your session to get some real insights as to what you are doing. A system that will allow you to integrate video is best. There are a number of very good, reasonable cost options out there: Traqmate, Aim, Chase, Racepack etc

Cheers,
Jim

I couldn't agree more. I have been doing some research on this very subject for my car. Check out some of the options on this system.
-graphically overlay each lap path to see fastest line around the track.
-separate segments of the track to see fastest times. Then pull them up on video to see exactly where you should be etc...
-multiple cameras...
-overlay data on video screen

Check out for yourself...
The videos are great.

Video VBOX - State of the art in-car video

There is a US distributor....

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. I have been doing some research on this very subject for my car. Check out some of the options on this system.
-graphically overlay each lap path to see fastest line around the track.
-separate segments of the track to see fastest times. Then pull them up on video to see exactly where you should be etc...
-multiple cameras...
-overlay data on video screen

Check out for yourself...
The videos are great.

Video VBOX - State of the art in-car video

There is a US distributor....

That's a great system too!
The RLC I have is a data logger, lap timer and true video integration with the chase cam systems. I love the software they provide. Still takes a while to learn but you can see and compare laps and brake zones and corner exit speeds engine rpm's etc. Worth a good look at anyway.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cheers,
Jim

Good stuff.

One of the G2X's cool geewiz features is the predictive lap time feature. While you're running, the "dash" will show whether you're faster or slower than you're best lap and by how much. You can try different lines/braking points, etc. and get immediate feedback.

GDog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bunch of the guys up here have had great success with the VBox units. at ~$500USD they are fairly cost effective while still having excellent functions (accel/decel, lat G's, direction, trace fucntion, and multiply trace overlays).

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a "TrackCam" app for my Iphone 4 for $2.00 :) Yet to be tested on the actual road course, but from what I see now from few test drives, this app is great. It captures Video, which can be overlaid with accelerometer G force data, Gps outline of the road + speedometer reading. The only money I spent at the Apple app store.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21