GREAT Gen I 1/4 mile time & MPH, but uh oh...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our favorite KC VCA member, Early93Viper, made his very first pass EVER at the drag strip. He turned in what I think is VERY good for a practically bone-stock Gen I: 12.52 @ 114 mph!

Unfortunately, it would be his only run for the night: Upon his return we noticed some fairly decent smoke coming out of one side pipe. Yep, we are 99% sure it is head gasket failure (still original to the car).

Soooooo, we would like to ask anybody out there with Gen I head gasket experience to pipe in on the expected cost. We are trying to track down some inexpensive replacements that will hold up. He was pretty bummed, having heard the gaskets themselves could be $1000+. PLEASE tell me that isn't correct! We have one of our own VCA guys (Jerry Dobson, VP) that will wrench on it to keep the costs down. Now we need only locate the gaskets to get Dan back on the road without breaking the bank. Gotta have some money left over for the Zone Rendezvous next month!

Many thanks in advance,

Chris
[email protected]

imbendenton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome time! Dan and Chris, good luck with hunting down a cheaper replacement. That's a crappy deal. I'm sure something will pull through to help you out. :)

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Chris and everyone else who helped me tonight. Chris must have made over 20 calls trying to find me a trailer so I could get home. He is one stand up guy!

Also it looks like Jerry is going to help me get my baby running again for minimal cost. Another stand up guy!

If anyone has any leads on a Head Gasket for less please PM me. All this help makes me a very proud member of the Viper Club. :2tu:

Thanks,
Dan

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome time! Dan and Chris, good luck with hunting down a cheaper replacement. That's a crappy deal. I'm sure something will pull through to help you out. :)

I hope so. :2tu:

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had some trouble after. But that pass was FAST for a gen 1. The mph is strong.

Cheers

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator has the entire set, something like 10+ gaskets come in the set. Retail is $950 and he'll get it with a tube of RTV for 20% off, no shipping or tax.

You need all the gaskets, especially the crossover gaskets because these are prone to leak on gen1 and you need to rtv the gaskets and put some on the bolts on the crossover when you reinstall.

Do not put anything on the head bolts when you reinstall, no oil or anything. Get something to clean out the holes after the bolts are removed. Tator will tell you everything.

Don't know the miles he has but valve seals are about $5 each and Roe has Sharp rockers and rods for less than 1K.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to sorta change the subject, but you said he is "practically bone-stock"...what all is done to it?

***** about the gasket though!

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope your gasket issue gets resolved quickly. Very good times for a gen I!

Thanks for rubbing it in. My gen1 is sitting in garage needing me to start replacement. Received gaskets from Tator and am putting together plan.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try Jason Heffner for head gaskets or a complete set.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's about a normal ET and MPH for Gen1 with slicks. A little slow actually, but in the ballpark.

Here's the mystery H pipe that dropped my '94 RT/10 from the consistent 12.39 range down to a 12.12 backed up by a 12.16 after installing it at the strip and going back out 20 minutes later.

You must be registered for see images

I've still got it and connecting hardware leftover after selling my GTS if anyone's interested. (PM me)

It cuts ground clearance by 2.5"....

H pipes always show improvements on just about any car-especially large displacement engines. So it's hardly a new idea, or a fabrication of my imagination

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's about a normal ET and MPH for Gen1 with slicks. A little slow actually, but in the ballpark.

Cool, because he wasn't on slicks and was running with regular ol' street radials - not even a street slick. All he has is K&N filters and deleted cats.

I am still trying to figure out what the heck that pipe is - besides closed. :2tu:

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE065,

Why did you feel the need to be a such a ******** in your post? Go back to LS1.com where belittling jerks like you belong.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does that pipe weld in before the cats? It looks like it may trace back around the transmission. Is this correct?
Interesting design. I've always wondered if anyone ever tried that.