GT-2 motor??????

Da1cop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Joe Donovan today and he advised the when he took my heads off he realized that I had a GT-2 motor in my 96. I guess this is really rare...I hear its a different block. Anyone know anything about this?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just this weekend at the VA/MD club dyno day, ViperJohn was mentioning something about some of the '96's getting some components out of the GTS-R engine or something along those lines. I'm a little fuzzy on what exactly he said. Maybe he'll see this and clarify.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's nothing special about the 96 motors- although I personally LOVE the lumpy cam in 1996-1998. There's no such thing as a GT-2 motor (would that be the 1998 GT-2 commemorative edition? Only thing "different" about that one was that is had smooth tubes to advertise 460 HP)

GTS-R parts on / in 1996's is urban legend.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's nothing special about the 96 motors- although I personally LOVE the lumpy cam in 1996-1998. There's no such thing as a GT-2 motor (would that be the 1998 GT-2 commemorative edition? Only thing "different" about that one was that is had smooth tubes to advertise 460 HP)

You urban legend killer!

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Janni,
All of the info I have found makes it look like 96 thru 99 had the same cam spec's? Is this true or is there more than one cam? If so, where can I find the spec's.
Dan 99 "kind of lumpy" cam. :bonker:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,
Think you are right - although I am not 100% sure - I'll check with some folks and get the straight skinny on cams.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I talked to Joe Donovan today and he advised the when he took my heads off he realized that I had a GT-2 motor in my 96. I guess this is really rare...I hear its a different block. Anyone know anything about this?
Since there is no such thing as a "GT-2" motor, you might ask him what he's trying to sell you. Did he mean a 1998 engine? Even the 100 1998 GT-2 special edition cars have the same engine as other Vipers of the same model year (the only remotely engine-related GT-2 differences were external to the engine - the stock smooth tubes and K&N filters), so it would be hard to call a 1998 engine a "GT-2" engine.

In general, other than the GTSR/Competition Coupe engine (I *think* they're the same), there were no special engines made that I'm aware of - the engines of each model year are all the same as the other engines made the same model year.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Are viper motors stamped with the Vin# of the car they're
originally mated too? If so there is a snowflakes chance it
might be a GT2 motor, though it would only have additional
value to the person who owns the matching car.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lake Murray put up an excellent source for the specs................... Our own site! :D Notice the 96 RT cam spes differ greatly from the GTS (lift and duration). Also note that the biggest spec cam came in the 98's and 99's. The 2000 adn later had similar specs, but the overlap was slightly less which may be why the "creampuff" cars don't respond as well to exhaust mods as the earlier cars. And to Bonk, from what I understand(ask the Wizard to be sure), but I don't think the blocks are VIN matched to the car.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was down at PBJ yesterday and last week. Joe started your car yesterday (sounds great) and he is going to put the car on the dyno today.

I have been talking to Joe about your car and I actually called some people looking for you head studs. (rare size) (As soon as your car is done we can finish my car). You have 9/16 head studs. There is no such part (listed)in any of ARP's books, Mopar etc. Joe talked to Todd at Arrow and he said that there were only 50 engines built like yours. 40 of them went straight into race cars and the other 10 were not accounted for. You have one of the ten. (you lucky dog) Not sure what other goodies came with that motor. Joe could help you out there. Not sure if I have said too much for now. i do know that joe has been working his asp off trying to get it dialed in. Like i said it sounded good yesterday. Hope this helps a little. :nana:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe talked to Todd at Arrow and he said that there were only 50 engines built like yours. 40 of them went straight into race cars and the other 10 were not accounted for. You have one of the ten.
Then, this sounds like a GTSR/comp coupe motor? Weird, first I'd ever heard about some special run of a different engine.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only VIPER owners would think having one of ten engines with a specific headbolt size is a good thing...