GTS is Chirping!

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started the car (01 GTS) up this morning, and heard a chirping sound at idle. Seemed to go away as I increased RPM but hard to tell over the engine noise.

I have a ROE SC installed. I want to determine if it is the alternator, PS pump, air conditioner, or anything else with bearings run by the belt. Will the car run momentarily if I remove the serpentine belt, given the ROE SC is installed?

GoCanes1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it do it when you are in gear? Mine just did that when in 1st gear just about to release the clutch. At first we thought it was the tensioner and changed it out but it was only when the AC was on so I am replacing the AC compressor clutches.

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it do it when you are in gear? Mine just did that when in 1st gear just about to release the clutch. At first we thought it was the tensioner and changed it out but it was only when the AC was on so I am replacing the AC compressor clutches.

No, it does it in neutral. I looked around with a flashlight while it was running but did not see anything obvious. The sound seems to be coming from the passenger side, front of the engine.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could do the home-grown mechanic thing and idle the engine, then take a cut piece of tubing and "aim" it around the pulley system to try to isolate the source of the noise. It's cheap, but sometimes the easy things work and save time.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have some belt dressing, you could use that to find out if the source is, in fact, the belt. Otherwise, like others have said, it sounds like a pulley.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can run the car without the SC spinning no problem. You won't be spinning the water pump, so don't run it too long.

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The belt is off the car, and it looks brand new. Yes, the car runs without spinning the SC, so no chirping without the belt. That's good news. Did find where the belt was slightly rubbing the coolant hose that is close to the new idler. Glad I found that before the hose gave up and lost coolant. Now trying to figure out what is making the noise. All of the drive pulleys seem to be normal, with no play or binding.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No glazing on the belt at all, as in maybe it has begun to slip slightly?

What pulley are you running? '01 so assuming 5 lb.

Also, did the weather change that day? Not joking here. Humidity and temperature can affect things like that. AKA, the friction between the belt and pulleys.

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No glazing on the belt at all, as in maybe it has begun to slip slightly?

What pulley are you running? '01 so assuming 5 lb.

Also, did the weather change that day? Not joking here. Humidity and temperature can affect things like that. AKA, the friction between the belt and pulleys.

No glazing at all. Looks absolutely brand new. 5 lb. pully. No big change in weather. I'm betting on the spring loaded tensioner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang