GTS Rear Window coming loose

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is used to glue the window the hinges on a GTS?

I opened the rear window and it scraped the paint!!! Then I noticed it is coming off the hinge assembly. Anyone redone this before?

Thanks,
Chip

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
This has come up before, a long time ago when the GTSs first came out. I think the factory switched to a stronger glue. Maybe you can find something with the search function.

Or ask Jon B at PartsRack, I bet he knows something about it.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds like one for......yes......you guessed it.....Pete the ex glass guy! OK>here's the deal. You need to use some two-part epoxy made for glass to other materials. Loctite has a good one. Get the backglass where you can work on it. I'd take it off and do it on a flat surface if I were doing it. Clean the surface well and mix the epoxy parts together and apply. Don't waste time. A lot of these things set up quickly especially if it's warm out.
The stuff can be a bit runny until it sets up a bit, so plan to use just enough to do the job without having it run all over the place. Clean up is not fun with this product, so try to be neat about it. Let it set up overnight and you should be good in the morning. Cleaning both surfaces is helpful. Pete

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yay! Pete to the rescue! :D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Vic and Pete...this was a problem in 1997 and early 98 due to CABIN VENTING issues, not glue issues. A running design change casued it and later fixed it. (It happened to the late Greg Moore of CART...I helped him and his 1997 GTS at Portland.)

Be sure the gill-slit vents in your inside-rear quarter panels are not blocked inside the rear cargo area under the OE carpet

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used two part plastic weld glue that is made for repairing motorcycle bodywork. My 97 GTS kept blowing the rear hatch loose at all three points due to my Mega powerful stereo!! Epoxy would not hold , but this stuff is like iron.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Thanks Vic and Pete...this was a problem in 1997 and early 98 due to CABIN VENTING issues, not glue issues. A running design change casued it and later fixed it. (It happened to the late Greg Moore of CART...I helped him and his 1997 GTS at Portland.)

Be sure the gill-slit vents in your inside-rear quarter panels are not blocked inside the rear cargo area under the OE carpet

Jon,
Where exactly are these gills located? Sounds like a tech should have been issued. :confused:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If I may-
Look at your tailights, and follow the body fascia around towards the front,(either side of the car) and you can see a slotted vent. The other side of this vent is inside your trunk area. There is a rubber flapper in between the outside air, and the inside air. Inside your trunk, in the right and left rear corners, there is some mesh netting, covering the trunk side of the vent. (or at least there is, on my '01)

Make sure you don't have any junk stuffed into the corners of your trunk, blocking the air flow.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Thanks Vic. I assume the affected cars don't have the mesh covering the vents but carpet instead....curious...why have vents if you're going to cover them with carpet?

OP
OP
I

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks!!!

I will try that tip. I just don't want this thing to come off going down the highway.

Is there a particular brand that I should look for?

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the whole window off and used loctite 9000 lb gap filler epoxy. Clamped it and let it sit overnight. It separated as soon as I shut the hatch. Anyone know where to get this 2 part plastic weld, or something else that will hold?
Thanks
Gary

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperSpray recommended this for my rear lift gate. The latch came unglued. The Plastic Welder does not list glass, but I would guess that it will work with glass on metal. It does have a good shear strength of 3500 psi and a working temp of -40 to +200 F. I got it at WalMart, but have not used it yet, since I used some superglue to temporarily fix it when it failed in the middle of nowhere. Now my problem is how to get the parts apart again to use the plastic welder. :omg:

http://www.ellsworth.com/display/pro...ctid=818&Tab=V

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! The epoxy I used was supposedly 9000 psi but like I stated it came right apart. I thought it was the glass breaking because that's what it sounded like. I spent like an hour scraping the old glue off, now I get to do it all again :evilmad:.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is exactly why you shouldn't stuff your trunk with a bunch of audio equipment that blocks the vents. It's been mentioned many times on here but people still do it. I've been down that path and noticed resonance in the cabin when the windows were down. That's why I revised my audio set up so that the vents are not blocked in the slightest bit.