GTS vs. RT/10 ?????

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alright, I am partial to an RT/10, but other family members of mine are trying to get me to look at buying a GTS instead. So, once again........I look to you guys, the ones with experience. :drive:

Which one is better....and why?
What are the pros & cons of each? :dunno:

(I tried to search for any other thread that deals with this comparison, but I got nothing. Sorry if this is a dead horse that I have kicked again.....but I'm new and cant find the older posts......plus there may be newer owners on here with newer opinions!)

Thanks Again

VipeRauf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As much as I love my RT/10,

I regret not buying a GTS.

Reason being, practicality. Now I feel like I'm going to get flamed for using the word practicality in the same sentence as a Viper, and believe me, I drive my RT 2-3 times a month TOPS, but jesus christ... no top ? no windows ?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top-off driving.... is AWSOME...but, it rains alot in Tampa...but, the weather's warm year round....

Decisions, decisions....

Maybe go with your wallet and the best deal you can find! They're both totally over-the-top rides!!!

Sorry, no help here.

- J

V

Venomiss

Have you ridden in both?
Do you plan on taking your Viper to the track?
Have you checked out the Viper Buyers Guide?

Try the search and put in GTS differences and then RT-10 differences.
There are a couple of pages of hits that might be good reading for you.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/new-own...oo-hard-decision.html?highlight=coupe+convert

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...missing-anything.html?highlight=coupe+convert

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...40-more-08-viper.html?highlight=coupe+convert

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...oupe-convertible.html?highlight=coupe+convert

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...isions-decisions.html?highlight=coupe+convert

Perhaps you're a bit "Search disabled"? This took a whole 30 seconds. But OK, yeah, I'm a heck of a grouch. No doubt you'll get many responses from some of our nicest, more gracious members. Why not start with explaining what YOU expect from the car and how YOU plan to use it. No doubt YOU have a preference that you would like the rest of us to reinforce. So here's the short version:

Lots of tracking...stop here and buy a coupe.

Some tracking...buy a coupe or buy a roadster and a hard top

No tracking...decide how often you are going to take extended trips where luggage will be necessary. If you will and it is..buy a coupe

No tracking with mostly day to single overnight trips...decide how much you would like to drive *******. Other than luggage space and the look of the rear end of the car, they are the same for street use. Obviously, a rag top will afford you an option that the coupe will not.

So tell us the truth, which do you know you already want.

DublinOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a later model RT/10 and then purchase a trunk top three piece hard top. Best of both worlds. Top down driving when the weather is good. Top on driving the rest of the time. Looks way better than the factory tops also. Can't beat the looks of a GTS from the rear though....

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had the opportunity to drive each of them for awhile on the same day. 95 RT and an 02GTS. Both lower mileage and never wrecked. Drove the gts for about a 100 miles and the rt for about 40. It was enough. Gts is nice when it rains. Gts is nice when its cold out. Gts has airbags. Gts looks cooler.

RT was a much nicer car to drive and felt significantly more powerfull on the bottom end. Dash layout of the 95 rt looks dated compared to the gts. Rt feels a bit smaller and lighter (weather it is or not, I have no idea) Seats were more comfortable and the pedals seemed an easier reach. Being a convertable with the top off I felt more relaxed. Perhaps a bit of claustrophobia comes into play with the gts. Regardless, I felt like I could drive the car much further without fatique compared to my earlier gts (I have a 97) and this later gts (02). RT felt a little more stable around corners and didnt follow the grooves in the road like the gts does. (tires?)Older RT also got a hell of a lot better gas mileage than either of the gts's I have experienced.

It appears to me anyways if you want to look cool..get a gts. If you plan on driving the thing a lot..get an RT.

Mind you I am no expert with these cars and have only been driving them for a year or so. Its an opinion, everybody has one.

viper02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an 01 RT/10 for two years and loved it. Sold it and bought a 01 GTS and love it more. Go with the GTS.

01 Sapphire Blue/Cognac GTS

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I both said we would miss the open air if I ever bought a GTS. Not much is more relaxing then a drive in a RT/10 at night.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picture a gorgeous 75 degree sunny day and you wanna go for a drive. That day cannot be fully enjoyed unless you are driving without a top on. Every time I get out on a day like that I am thankful I got the RT/10.

In a perfect world though, I would also own a GTS. Someday I'm sure.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a GTS and have NEVER been dissatisfied in the least. That said, I saw a Gen III RT last week and followed it for a few blocks. Man, that is a nice car.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread should have been Closed after CitySnakes post...:money:

next the op will ask:

What is the most Popular color?

or

What is the most Desirable Color?

or

What is the best color?

or

What is the Rarest color?

:lmao:

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS.

Pros... Looks better with stripes.

Cons... You have to replace your rear hatch lift cylinders every five years.

Whoa! Our GTS's have hatches...!!! Thanks! (lol...I think I have opened mine twice in the last year...:lmao:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
******* RT/10 is the best looking car ever built IMO.

Other than subjective opinions the only difference between the two is a ******* RT/10 is much, much hotter in the Florida sun. Believe it or not the AC helps even when *******. But my AC hasn't worked in four years.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS -vs- RT/10... It all depends on the individual. I hardly ever took my hard top off my RT/10, but when I did, it was like driving a totally different car. Kinda like 2 cars in 1. I like fast, drag/street cars, so I prefer the GTS. I also like the idea of having windows which the GTS has. For those who enjoy afternoon cruises and don't really care as much for the drag strip, it seems they are more inclined to go with the RT/10. It's just different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been lucky enough to have driven both, I'm about 6ft 2"

I find the driving position in the GTS better. I can clearly see out of the windscreen without having to dip my head which I found I had to do in the RT/10. I know seat lowering kits are available but I'm just comparing standard seating positions.

The RT/10 I drove around for a while was a Gen 1 1994 model, My GTS is a 2000 Model. Its much more fun to drive over here as it also tends to rain! Also the Air con is great :) And although I don't leave the car unattended often it has better security ;) I like the rear window lift lever down on the floor by the drivers seat, (early GTS,s did not have this feature)

I think the J Leno video being shown on these forums at the moment sums up the RT/10 very well, Its raw and can be sometimes compared towards a Kit Car (his words, not mine);) Here's the link Jay Leno's Garage

I know you can get a hard top for the RT/10s, that's OK if your driving around the block, but you cant exactly store it in the car! OK there is So I believe a folding hard top but its still a pain! I also used to find that with the soft top on the car felt quite claustrophobic, (came back from the Le mans 24hrs, in the rain with the soft top on). Still better to be in a Viper than some other rubbish car :)

As far as prices go, over here in the UK there are a few RT/10s for sale,and for some reason they are not selling that well, The GTS seems to command a few thousand $ more ;)

So there are my thoughts on the subject, Don't get me wrong, there both great cars, good luck with your search
Mark

:uk:

Last edited:

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who drives in the rain??????????????? open top,side pipes...I like them both, There is a 10k differance in the price .......

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you guys are offering opinions by comparing a Gen 1 roadster and a Gen 2 GTS. That make little sense. Still waiting to hear back from the OP as to how they plan to use the car.
I thought my post was fairly unbiased! One of our UK members ZS also has a gen 2 RT/10. OK on the gen 2 cars you get windows that go up and down :D , apart from that everything I said in my earlier post still stands. ZS took me for a drive around Le mans in his RT/10, It was exactly the same as the previous RT/10 I had driven as far as seating position and view out of the windscreen :dunno: Like I also said in my post they are both Great cars, its just up to the guy to make a decision

Mark
:uk:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '01 RT/10. I don't understand the flack regarding managing the hard or soft tops. Hard top goes on for track days. Soft top stays in the trunk in case of rain. In the event I do get caught in the rain I find that if I drive fast enough I won't get wet. :D Otherwise, it's a convertible that hardly ever has a top on it. A/C keeps me cold in the summer, heater works great in the cold weather and I've been known to drive in 40 or below temps with the top off in my shorts. I can't get enough of the open cockpit. It lets me appreciate the full extent of my exhaust system. ;) At 6' 1" I'm very comfortable in the RT/10, plenty of headroom :D. Easy to get in and out and even easier to detail. I bought it to enjoy it and I am. To each their own. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte