Guess again if you think the GTS is safe in a roll over!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan M 98 GTS NY:
...........I saw a better pic in the paper looked like a 97 or 98 GTS with Pilot sports on the front, MXXX3's on the rear. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mixed tread patterns and tire carcasses are inherently dangerous..

RIP

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
baknblk, I hope you're joking... the Viper has a VERY LOW center of gravity and super wide track which means VERY unlikely to flip...unless:

you slide sideways into a permanent low structure (curb, berm, ditch) or get one side of the car lifted (center divider, etc) to a very high degree

We're definitely NOT on the hit list of the Insurance Institute for a "moose test"!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Backinblk,

you crack me up dude... LOL

Could the wall you hit have anything to do with you rolling over?

Gerald

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its always a sad day when ever someone dies. All I can say is my heart goes out to his family who are now having to deal with this tragedy.
Somehow I feel its inappropiate to ask or wonder about salvage value of his Viper. Especially on this board...hope it was said in jest?!?!

Ed

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB, Lets hear more about different treads. I just bought Pilot Sports for the rear and have P-Zeros up front. I don't see the car drifting, or notice any issues, etc. How many of us have this type of set-up?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very sad and a little scary too.
i think we have all gone alittle fast now and again...
he had a GTS and i have an R/T
so this pretty much makes the the 5pt harness a done deal... hopefully I will get them installed over the winter for next spring!!!

again very very sad!!! was he a vca member?????

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at the photo but wasn't sure it was a GTS. Comments?

Deepest condolences to friends and family.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like an rt-10 hard top.The dividers we have in NYS are based on the james bond ramp to ramp spiral jump.They were tested here where the 90 meets the 33 in the buffalo area on the exit ramps.NO one ever goes over them.As you slide into one the impact side is lifted higher and higher until it fall back down.During the testing stage the calspan engineers would come out daily and measure the skid marks.They were always amazed at how high some of them were to the top.No record of going over the top as far as I know.Maybe enought speed would cause a car to flip over on itself as it tries to climb up that variable curve wall. Bruce

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly appears to be a GTS. Note the rear spoiler and as Brooks pointed out, what appears to be the gas cap in the picture.

As to the "safety" in ANY crash, all bets are off. While the government and insurance industry routinely test crash worthiness, there is absolutely no guarantee you will survive even a fender bender. While I don't want to make this any more morbid than it already is, there are numerous examples of much worse looking wrecks where the people walked away. Assuming this unfortunate man slid on the roof for some distance (likely), he very well may have been injured fatally by something coming in through the windshield. Perhaps he wasn't wearing a seatbelt and he was fatally injured on the initial impact into the guardrail before the rollover took place. Quite frankly, the passenger compartment appears to be pretty intact and survivable from the angle of the picture.

The bottom line is that any car is dangerous at a high rate of speed. I wouldn't consider myself safe in any rollover, but am confident that my Viper would protect me as well as most cars out there, if not better. My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

Chris

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Adam, I also received many calls to check and see if was me. Heck of a way to know you're loved 'huh?

Anyway, given the proportions of the Viper, specifically its ratio of width to height seems to make this an ideal car for staying flat. The problem though is tip it up with a little momentum and it's not going to come to rest on its side, it's going to fall back flat or go all the way over.

Any thoughts on the dynamics of lifting one front corner of the car, catching air under that corner and helping the car become airborne while rotating it over?

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is sad...
frown.gif
frown.gif

And now this adds to my worries.. how many have actually rolled the car.
I remember JonB saying that flipping the Viper was relatively easy in another thread..
frown.gif

My prayers go out to the gentlemans family and friends..
frown.gif

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VIPORXXX:

Somehow I feel its inappropiate to ask or wonder about salvage value of his Viper. Especially on this board...hope it was said in jest?!?!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Apparently you guys don't know Frank well enough...and he could use a Gen2...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan M 98 GTS NY:
with Pilot sports on the front, MXXX3's on the rear. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm running just the opposite of that, what's up with that JonB?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt. Of course anyone is ignorant to say a 99% plastic car without a tube frame is going to be safe.

Too bad the guy died.