Bent Exhaust Valve - Again

OOHASNEK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

Picked up a 2001 RT/10 from Palm Springs last year in August. Drove it back to Phoenix and drove it maybe 9 more times and it bent an exhaust valve. Car had 10,800 on it when I got it and I rolled it over to 11,000 getting it back to Phx. Previous owner sent me an invoice from his shop from 2016 where the car did the exact same thing with 10k miles on the odometer (screenshot of that is attached here). A few questions:

Anybody experienced multiple bent exhaust valves at low mileage?

How do you guys support the hood when you take it off? I've seen pics of the hood on the roof of the car when people take it off, can it be set on the ground as well?

For small hoses (coolant, emissions, etc) are those generally available still or if I rip one am I screwed?

Appreciate any help! Here's a vid that shows the carnage in case anyone is interested.
https://youtu.be/Nq5HG0brksE?feature=shared

And of course props and respect to Mr. Eddie Martin for getting into the car for me on short notice and being the gentle bearer of bad news! Good guy to work with for sure.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check the valve spring pressures. If reduced, this can lead to valve float, then pumped up lifters, which then will hold the valve partially open allow them smack the piston...

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like Valve spring failure. I have a bunch of used stock ones. I can send to you along with a few replacement valves.

OP
OP
O

OOHASNEK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like Valve spring failure. I have a bunch of used stock ones. I can send to you along with a few replacement valves.

I really appreciate that thanks. I'll definitely test spring pressure, going to check the valve guides, probably new pushrods, mayyyyyybe new lifters and the car will probably get a 708 cam or other small cam while I'm in there. Regarding valve springs, would a set of BTR's or Comp Cam new springs just be a more safe way to go vs OEM?

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For curiosity, I would send a Borescope in and take a look at the top of that piston. Obviously head needs to be remove and you can look at it them but I would send a scope in ahead of time just because im impatient and need to know what im getting into ahead of time.
Good luck.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That doesn't look terrible. I would clean it off and make sure it is not cracked. BTRs would be an upgrade. A set of Ported heads(That I am selling :D) would also be a REALLY good idea.

wkooiman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, doesn't look bad and sounds like weak valve springs. I had the same thing happen to my 01 ACR when I missed a downshift and over-revved it. It bent 2 or 3 valves (don't recall), plus a keeper split - probably when that valve kissed a piston. That one was bent the most, but it didn't drop. I actually didn't over-rev it very much, but apparently it was enough.

I sold that car, and now I have a 98 GTS. When I had the heads off to replace the head gasket, I had them install "normal" dual springs.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went through a motor rebuild from a valve seat drop, so in the same boat as you but with many more needle bearings involved and a wiped camp. I kept the kissed piston as it was minor as I really did not want to tear down the entire motor and it was not necessary. Honestly, the car is so much more fun and responsive, the large bill is irrelevant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OOHASNEK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the damage to the piston warrant a new one? Just curious what you are doing there.
I'm going to clean it up this weekend and take a good look at it, but from what I can tell, the piston does need to be replaced, yes.

Agreed, doesn't look bad and sounds like weak valve springs. I had the same thing happen to my 01 ACR when I missed a downshift and over-revved it. It bent 2 or 3 valves (don't recall), plus a keeper split - probably when that valve kissed a piston. That one was bent the most, but it didn't drop. I actually didn't over-rev it very much, but apparently it was enough.

I sold that car, and now I have a 98 GTS. When I had the heads off to replace the head gasket, I had them install "normal" dual springs.
Appreciate that, thanks! Sorry, new to this, what do you mean by "normal" dual springs? Do you mean OEM replacement? Or are those aftermarket?

Just went through a motor rebuild from a valve seat drop, so in the same boat as you but with many more needle bearings involved and a wiped camp. I kept the kissed piston as it was minor as I really did not want to tear down the entire motor and it was not necessary. I went with the following below and honestly, the car is so much more fun and responsive, the large bill is irrelevant.

Thanks for the PM, a lot to consider!

BoremViper97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really appreciate that thanks. I'll definitely test spring pressure, going to check the valve guides, probably new pushrods, mayyyyyybe new lifters and the car will probably get a 708 cam or other small cam while I'm in there. Regarding valve springs, would a set of BTR's or Comp Cam new springs just be a more safe way to go vs OEM?
What’s this about a 708 cam??
Is that an upgrade? I’ve searched upgraded camshafts and could find any.
Maybe I should start a new thread?

OP
OP
O

OOHASNEK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s this about a 708 cam??
Is that an upgrade? I’ve searched upgraded camshafts and could find any.
Maybe I should start a new thread?
708 cam is the camshaft that was in the 96 to 99 vipers. From what I've read, it's worth ~10 rwhp and has a little bit more of a lopey idle to it.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Selling ported/polished heads, good time to upgrade.

Attachments

• s-l160077.jpg
    s-l160077.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 888.jpg
    888.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l1600444.jpg
    s-l1600444.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Members online