Bad mechanical noise from valvetrain - Gen2 GTS

98-WC-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi - new owner here. Not the way I wanted my first post to go.

I recently picked up an ex Speed World Challenge 98 Viper GTS. My first track day with it was this past weekend, and when I fired the car and pulled it out of the trailer it ran great. When I fired the car to head out on track for my first session, the engine was missing on the left cylinder bank. I took it for a short drive around the paddock, and at one point pushed the clutch in and revved the engine, to see if it would rev to redline. It then stalled, and when I refired it, was making an awful clacking noise from the valvetrain on the driver's side. Pulled the valve covers off, and nothing is obviously bent, or out of place. I'm thinking it could be a bent pushrod, but any other ideas on what I should be looking for? Car has TD 1.7RRs, but I'm not sure if the pushrods or valvesprings were upgraded at the same time.

When I was pulling the plugs for inspection I found the source of the misfire - one of the plug wires was not fully attached. Talk about frustrating

Thanks

Last edited:

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check each rocker by hand for looseness. Then spin the engine a couple of times (i would do it manually but that's me) and watch each rocker rock.

You got hydraulic lifters on it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala