Guess what! I bought a MIG Welder! Watch out!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I got a deal from a friend that works at a well known tool store (employee discount) a $400 mig welder for $174.00 (dual Mig).

Before the jokes and stupid stuff comes out, I do have one legit question. If I use Argeon gas when I weld, will my welds come out smoother and more consistent than the flux type wire that requires no gas?

Yes, I bought a mask and my arms will be protected. I hate to see what my electric bill will be like! I have been practicing on eveything! I have spark plugs welded to old pipes scrape metal. I am going to become an expert at this even if it turns me dark! :D :confused:

Okay let the jokes flow now. Just remember you bunch of *******...at least I try! ha! :D :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome Adam! The best thing about MIG with Argeon is you can weld naked and not worry about sunburn or splatters. It's kind of exciting too. I do it all the time. Try it.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ab, COOL!!!!!!! weld away!!!!!!! the gas works alot nicer on thin stuff like body panels, the flux-core works better on heavy metal(better *********** I think). But if you're welding thick steel, that 400$ welder isn't even close to what you need. It'll be excellent for smaller jobs tho!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Argon won't do anything to help you better weld. It just protects the metal from internal corrotion. Argon is used for high quality welding but it is also expensive. At high temperature the welded metal can corrode very quickly and can solidify inclosing air. The argon prevents this from happening.

In addition Mig welding is more complicated because you have to find the right speed and welding distance. You need a lot of practive before you get a nice welding.

I also got a Mig welder this week-end ! Funny isn't ! But it runs without external argon or C02. The mig wire already contains some sort of gas.

First thing that I welded (or I tried to weld but I would rather call it "glue it") was the rear exhaust. I replaced the rear muffler with straight pipes. Looks really great and cost a fraction of the shop price. All the pipes cost 60$US ! I spend my Saturday shaping the pipes and my Sunday to weld them together. Sunday evening I was running with my new exhaust. It looks awesome and the sound is great.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Doug,

I will have to try that out. I love the welder, but down the road, I want to learn how to tig weld aluminum.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have forgotten something. The way that house electricity counters are built they are not mesuring this type of electricity consumption .... Industrial electricity counters are different. I don't know how to call this physical thing but it is related to frequency staff ...

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here comes a visit to the ER to AB's closest Hospital.

FYI, yes the argon makes a cleaner weld, so posers like you can look like they know what they are doing.

Jon

Jon,

Come here and I will weld those nuts to your forehead! :)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FYI, yes the argon makes a cleaner weld, so posers like you can look like they know what they are doing.

Jon

Jon,

You Sir, will not be touching my nuts, let alone, get near me with your frankenstein making device. Enjoy welding your little fingers into nubs.

Jon

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Jon

Jon,

You Sir, will not be touching my nuts, let alone, get near me with your frankenstein making device. Enjoy welding your little fingers into nubs.

Jon

You don't shut it, I am going to weld your ********* shut for good!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Argon won't do anything to help you better weld. It just protects the metal from internal corrotion. Argon is used for high quality welding but it is also expensive. At high temperature the welded metal can corrode very quickly and can solidify inclosing air. The argon prevents this from happening.

Well... sort of.... MIG stand for "Metal Inert Gas".... the Argon is the inert gas part of the story. The gas is actually a shielding gas preventing the oxygen in the atmosphere from raising havoc on the molton metal, without it, you will get a weld that looks like the froth on your five dollar cup of Starbucks. Different gas's/mixes give different weld *********** characteristics. So now you can add gas mix to the tip to part distance, included angle, wire speed feed, Voltage, Amperage, and weld gun speed variables :)

Here is a brief blurb on: MIG Welding Basics

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss my Lincoln 255 220V roll around welder. I sold when I thought I was going to live overseas (doh)

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is what I got. What do you think? Will it do the job for welding pipes and minor things?

For mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Weld with gas or perform flux cored gasless operations.
Welding current range: 25 to 85 amps
Input: single phase 115 volts, 60 Hz
Open voltage: 19 to 30
Duty cycle: 20% @ 75 amps, 45% @ 50 amps
Draws 21 amps @ 120 volts
Weldable wires: 0.023'' to 0.035'' steel and stainless steel, 0.030'' to 0.035'' aluminum, 0.030'' flux-cored
Includes: 2 lb. spool of flux cored wire, handheld face shield, brush hammer, fuse power line; Weight: 55.8 lbs.

You must be registered for see images

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, definetly looks like you could weld you crack shut. I'll give ya 1 week before that happens. Also looks like it could do the nuts on the forehead thing. Again, give you one week before your wife does it to ya.

Jon

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do metal art work and I weld almost every day. Here's a couple of things that may be of use.

The gas you want is argon and carbon dioxide mix. That's the gas I use. 25%/75%

You want to get an automatic helmet. They are under $100 now. When the first arc is struck it turns dark so fast that you never get flashed. Both hands free and you can see before the first arc.

If you wear glasses, you can get corrective lens inserts for your helmet. They are cheap and they will improve your welding.

Don't weld galvanized or plated steel without being very careful to avoid the fumes.

Buy a whole bunch of various vise grip clamps. A big part of welding is holding things in place while you weld.

You will find that welding thin material is the hardest. It's so easy to burn holes in things.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think you could weld aluminum with it. The Miller and Lincoln are the best machines but you have to spend $$$.
have fun
Max

Mark Red GTS Cooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam,

I bought one a year ago and I cannot rtell you how much fun I have had with it.

I am building stuff that I have always wanted, but could not find anywhere.

I have a Lincoln 175, and for 2 weeks I just ran beads to perfect my skills.

Have fun,,
Mark

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was a great link "MIG Welding Basics" but I don`t agree when they say "Less operator skill required". Mig welding requires more skills but once you master it you can make higher quality weldings. Those who went to a welding school can confirm that the last thing that you learn is the mig Welding.

Argon won`t improve the shape of the welding but will provide a shield as the graphic shows.

Anybody knows something about the domestic electricity bill ?

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB,

I have a similar unit and have done quite a bit of work with it. Nothing professional, just messing around with various cars. And no I haven't used it on the Viper. I'll throw in my 2 cents:

1. The argon gas DOES make a difference. Welding with the flux core wire creates alot of **** and it's much harder to make a nice weld.

2. Don't try to weld stainless steel without the gas. Ask me how I know.

3. Placing the clamp near where you're welding is important. Sometimes you won't even get an arc if it's too far away and/or the area it's attached to isn't clean.

4. Practice on various thickness metals. Making a nice weld on sheet metal is relatively easy. The trick is knowing what heat and wire speed to use in various situaitons.

5. Welding should sound like bacon frying. A constant crackling sound, not an intermittant pop.

6. Don't lick the wire when the welder is on.

--Rob

Frank Barefield

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gee Adam, I hope this welder works ok, or I guess we'll be reading a 4 page thread with the manufacturer chiming in.......... :laugh: BTW are you going to use this to adjust your Paxton unsuper supercharger? ;)
Frank
P. S. Should I tell Mickey to get ready? :2tu:

Black 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1: Just to mention that mig welding releases very toxic fumes that should not be breathed.
2: Also as mention by someone, you need a welding machine that has "high frequency" capability to weld aluminum.
3: Exposure to welding rays can cause skin cancer.
4: To weld galvanized steel,grind all parts to be joined and make sure not to breathe those fumes HIGHLY TOXIC.
5: For welding ST-ST with flux core wire you need mixes argon-co2 gaz mixture.

have work in steel all me life.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto on the auto darkening welding helmet. It frees up one hand from flipping, saves space (if you are under a car?) because you don't have to swing the helmet, and you just won't forget to lower the helmet or get those flashes when you don't get it down in time. And they come in different darknesses, and as Joe said, under $100.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my auto darkening helmet about 6 months ago and it's great. Now I can actually see my starting point without flipping the helmet down and hoping I'm still on the right spot.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
85 amps ain't a lot.. I got a 200 and on occasion welding really thick steel plate to pipe (we're talking 3/8" each), have had to turn it right up. You should be OK with mild steel up to about 1/8". Stainless does need the gas (sometimes even on the back side of the weld too), or you will watch it gather surface rust after a few days. Al is the hardest to weld, and a good machine really helps.

It doesn't run your electricity bill up, unless you are actually pulling the trigger for 2 uninterrupted hours a day. In which case your major worry will be going through reel after reel of wire.

I think Chuck is having you on about welding naked.. You still do get sunburned, and sparks still fly with gas. He's a bad, bad man.