guys i really need your help 1998 gts in new jersey

bmw1952

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought a 1998 gts in florida last april from a private seller. i shipped it up to new jersey and got the car checked out at a local dodge dealer in jersey. the did some maintanance and had some leaks and changed some seals. i drove it all summer and a few times in the fall the also changed my oil. before i put it away in the winter i took it for a ride and the oil pan light came on. stopped at a local gas station and checked the oil was very low. make a long story short the car is making a knocking noise one the top left side of the engine. the car starts and runs fine but after a few minutes it starts making noise on the top. i did a oil change and the said they found metal shaving in the filter. now i dont know what to do what kind of damage can it be and how much should i bring it to the dealer or and recommendations on a local viper mechanic in jersey

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How low was the oil? I am not positive how low it need to be for the oil light to come on. But if the light only come on with pressure loss, you most likely have a damaged lifter or rocker from oil starvation. How regularly do you check the oil? Have you noticed any leaks? I wonder if enough oil was put in when it was changed.

I am not sure what part of Jersey you are in, but I recommend Tators Dodge. Chuck Tator has an exceptional reputation. We have actually had several Maryland and Virginia members take thier cars to Chuck.

OP
OP
B

bmw1952

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was low not sure how much but the light turned off and on a few times. oil was changed around 2500 miles i took it to fairway dodge in ridgewood. im in central jersey new brunswick area. do u think the whole engine needs to be rebuilt just worried because some local mechanics are giving me bad thought due to the shavings in the oil filter

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tators Dodge. Chuck Tator. there isnt a dealer in NJ worth talking to.

and fairway dodge isnt known for the thier techs.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give John Kerwin or Joe Kallas a call. They work at Barbera Dodge. Great Techs

93VIPERBOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tators Dodge is the only place I would bring my Viper to. Give Chuck Tator a call. He is the Man.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
bmw1952, I am not that far from you in Jersey. When I bought my car I brought it to Tator also. It really isn't that far and I am sure if you called him he would be a real help. 914-763-3136.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CHUCK TATOR. Guy's bring their cars to him that live MUCH further. you won't read a post on this website that is anything other than positive regarding the Wizard.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From a Dealer stuck in the middle of Kneebrasky Cornfields..............take your car to Chuck Tator. He will treat your car like it is his own, and since you may need to work on the internals, he is your absolute best bet to get inside that 8 liter.

Best of Luck,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Out of curiosity do you have an extended service contract on the car?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4