Guys with custom systems lets see em

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the stock system in my gts was kinda upgraded with mb quart interior speakers and an 8inch kicker sub (still sounds awful) so im redoing it. Just trying to get ideas so if any of you guys have a custom sub set up post a pic. Also in my z06 i had all jl amps with focal interiors and a jl w7 13inch was way to much and way to heavy. Any recommendations for hard hitting/ clean sounding subs that are light aswell?

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

old system

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 inch sub in box where spare used to go. amp by rear facia....not great for weight balance but sounds great. If you were looking for specs I can dig 'em up but the system is 6 years old so may be irrelevant in todays market.

DSC_0121.JPG

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 inch sub in box where spare used to go. amp by rear facia....not great for weight balance but sounds great. If you were looking for specs I can dig 'em up but the system is 6 years old so may be irrelevant in todays market.

DSC_0121.JPG
nice clean looking install, did you upgrade the rear small interior speakers also? or just the door speakers

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
T1 rockford 10 is what I am running. The box is super small, hits very hard.

Front speakers
Focal 6.5 componnet set (awesome speakers)
Sub 1 RF T1D210 dual 2 ohm sub wired to 1 ohm, super small box
Amp is Memphis MCH-1300d (The beast of all amps, 150x4 @ 4 ohms and 1100x1 @ 1 ohm, bridged it is 300x2 @ 2 ohms and 1100x1@1 ohm, 5 channel)
Photos later after the amp case is made. Amp on the shelf, speaker in the trunk. Hits very hard, can barely turn the highs up, the amp is complete overkill.

Wiring does not look like this currently and this picture was taken with crap in the trunk. Wiring has been cleaned up and is no longer visible and a case to surround the amp so you don't see any connections is being made. I also ordered a trunk cargo cover to cover everything up. I was going to do a full custom install but I use the trunk sometimes.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the not so great pictures. I know I took other pictures of the trunk open without the glass in the way, but these were all I could find.

This system was installed back in 2008.
-Boston Pro Speakers
-Boston G5 Subs
-Alpine 4 Channel Amp
-Alpine Mono Amp
-Alpine Head Unit/iPod/MP3 Receiver
-Alpine IMPRINT Chip
-Alpine CD Changer

I also had the place measure my spare tire and then build a custom felt wrapped sub box that was the exact same size to replace the spare tire with; and then fit two 10" subs within it. I then had both Amps and CD Changer stacked and mounted vertically in the corner which you can kind of see. Nothing too fancy, but it's clean and simple and the sound in the car is amazing. No extreme rattling either.

Jerry Colpitts from the New England VCA region has by far the best setup in his trunk I've ever seen. All fiber glass to match his car. Jerry, if you see this you should definitely post pictures of yours!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KNG SNKE: that was actually my idea to get a box that fits in the spare tire area, put it in, then make a panel that goes over top of it to cover it all. so did you just do front components and disconnect back speakers? or you did components in the rear also?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Rockford 6 inch subwoofers in the trunk stock boxes, rated at 300rms, they are monsters but useless overall. They were in the car when I got it and handle a lot of power but the quality of sound is garbage. When I put the closeout panel in the car you won't hear them anyhow. The focal's in the front already kill peoples ears, no need for the rears though I do have them currently hooked up to the amplifier.

I like the box in the above post, looks really good, I just can't give up my spare tire.

I ordered the panel from Partsrack. I am not a woodworker and cannot cut a straight line so I would rather pay for something like this then pull my hair out trying to make it look good.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
costanZo: that looks really good also. When they built the sub box did they just build it to fit or did they measure it for the air space the subs need? basically can i put any sub in any box or does it really have to match up the requirements of air space

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Rockford 6 inch subwoofers in the trunk stock boxes, rated at 300rms, they are monsters but useless overall. They were in the car when I got it and handle a lot of power but the quality of sound is garbage. When I put the closeout panel in the car you won't hear them anyhow. The focal's in the front already kill peoples ears, no need for the rears though I do have them currently hooked up to the amplifier.

I like the box in the above post, looks really good, I just can't give up my spare tire.

I ordered the panel from Partsrack. I am not a woodworker and cannot cut a straight line so I would rather pay for something like this then pull my hair out trying to make it look good.
I hear ya not really a carpenter myself lol. . so you think ill be fine with just a single pair of high quality interiors up front and a sub in the back?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
APGTS-

Thank you. Before the box was built when we measured everything out, I was actually fortunate the two 10" subs would fit as I had originally planned. I demanded that the box had to be the same size as the spare tire to look right and fit the trunk best. So if the subs wouldn't have fit the size of the spare tire, I wouldn't have had the box built. I also didn't consider air space for the subs since the place said this method would work really well in my car from all the past boxes they built. So I figured they knew what they were talking about, and they did a good job.

I'm no expert, but would imagine you can put any sub in any box as long as the box fits into place and is obviously big enough to support the sub or subs. I just wanted something that was simple, yet clean and aligned perfectly. So it just so happened that the actual size of the spare tire was big enough to complement two 10" subs side by side. Considering two 12" subs would not have fit.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya not really a carpenter myself lol. . so you think ill be fine with just a single pair of high quality interiors up front and a sub in the back?

Without a doubt. I have focal front speakers, they handle up to 300 watts. I have a very solid amp pushing them now and I can't even get the amp up to 1/4 the way without having to turn it down and I come from a competition stereo background. Insanely clear and loud. You would have to have a pretty overwhelming subwoofer setup to drown mine out and if you get that serious you will most likely rattle the glue loose on the rear glass

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without a doubt. I have focal front speakers, they handle up to 300 watts. I have a very solid amp pushing them now and I can't even get the amp up to 1/4 the way without having to turn it down and I come from a competition stereo background. Insanely clear and loud. You would have to have a pretty overwhelming subwoofer setup to drown mine out and if you get that serious you will most likely rattle the glue loose on the rear glass
ok cool im going to start pricing the stuff out tonight just up in the air about what to do with subs. ( one 12, two 10s, one 10). . are the focal's a direct replacement for stock interiors?

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
btw which focals do you have? just looked em up and they span from like $120 to $2,000 a set :omg:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Focals are super expensive. I go my set for a steal but I don't recall exactly what model I have and I would have to go pull one out to find out. I can tell you brand new they are about 800 dollars. They are monsters!

I was in the air about subs too. I come from an SPL background and was concerned with having only 1 10. I mostly listen to rock music so I figured in that car 1 10 would be enough. If I can get a good deal on 2 10's of the same model I would go that route, especially with the size of the sub box, small, but one is good for me for now. I can hear it over my exhaust so its working fine (those who have heard my car can comment on this).

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to run two 12" subs, but decided to run two 10" subs in my Viper instead and I'm glad I did. If you listen to a variety of music, especially rock music like KNG SNKE mentioned go with the 10s, if you listen to a lot of Rap music or anything with a lot of bass 12" is the way to go. I prefer a more balanced sound throughout, besides the 10s will still pound at the right settings. Just make sure you get a good enough amp to compliment your sub or subs. I have one mono amp to power both of my subs and a 4channel amp to power all 4 of my speakers.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya i really dont listen to rap at all so im thinking about just going all JL Audio.I had JL in my old car and never had a problem with it so thinking of doing one set of jl higher end components, jl w7, & 2 jl xd amps

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JL is definitely a good way to go. I went with Boston for my subs/speakers because they performed well and cheaper than JL. I also bought a lot of stuff all at once so I was on a budget. However, if I ever have to replace my subs/speakers I will definitely be considering JL Audio.

overzealous1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
here is mine. the deck is a jvc. not using any deck power, just signal, so it is really clear. controls are not the easiest, but met all that i needed for the viper with the small screen. custom door speakers. don't even remember what they are. mb quart i think. a pair of eclipse 12" subs. each pair of speakers has it's own amp, with crossovers before the amps so i am only amplifying a narrow band, equating to cleaner sound and higher power. amps are under the false floor in the trunk and 2 farads of cap. crossover network is adjustable by removing a rear trunk panel. each 12" is totally enclosed and completely fills the cavity it sits. only front speaker mount is wood, rest is fiberglass set in place. false top on it.
it isn't quite finished in these pics, but have since made the rest of the panels to complete and finish off. total watts is about 2200. car also has a couple layers of sound deadening in it also. it is reasonably quite with doors and windows shut, even with headers, no cats, and only a couple small flowmasters on it with 3" duals. you can actually talk on the phone!

this is pretty mundane for me. usually go over the top. but, for the viper, i love listening to the engine most of the time!!

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow thats a pretty intense phoenix gold equalizer/ tuner y got there lol. . . .good looking install

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think im going to basically reproduce what i had in my vette only not as crazy. Just going to do a single 10 facing up and build the amps in next to it. . trying to figure out if i can get away with a single jl amp to run 1 w6 and a set of really good jl components

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950