Had the Viper in for alignment yesterday

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car has never had an alignment since new..And the past couple of years the RT- 10 felt very vague in the handling department.

I had a hard time finding an alignment shop in central New Jersey that accommodates the low front end of my Viper. I found on RT-9 north bound near Freehold a STS. Jack the manager said that they do alignments on quite a few low front end exotics.

Still, to get the car onto or up the rack was a still a colossal pain in ass. We needed two teches and 2 by 4 wooden boards to able to walk the car up to the ramp and cross the edge part of the Hunter alignment rack.

The rack itself was the newer state of the art Hunter about five years old. We also had to remove the tire stop chucks at the tip of the each rail in order to clear the low front end on the Viper. These chucks were just held on by pins, and popped off easily, because they have done so many low slung cars.

Once the car was safely in position on the rack.
I started the engine had held the break and sat in the car the whole time in order to do the procedure with my real world weight.

My rear alignment seemed very off, but after 30 minutes the tech corrected all the miss-settings I had from Dodge. Apparently the factory did not do a good job with their alignment department. From day one the car felt lose, as if I was fighting to keep the Viper on course.

My rear left as well as my right side's camber and toe were way off the allowed mark. I also had my steering wheel slightly off center, which we corrected when the front was tackled.

We followed the factory alignment specs, and now the car is sorted, it corners crisply, and tracks perfectly straight without any wheel hunting

Email me if anyone needs the shop info..They were very professional..Arthur

The printout of the results
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/179976_377905245598498_1625214950_n.jpg

Last edited:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... that left rear before/after spec really is something. Could it have gradually moved to that from tracking over the years?
What year car?

I bet you're like a kid now with the new ride. Should beat your old times now. :)

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... that left rear before/after spec really is something. Could it have gradually moved to that from tracking over the years?
What year car?

I bet you're like a kid now with the new ride. Should beat your old times now. :)

Correct, when these cars have an alignment problem..they can become extremely dangerous at or near the limit. Unlike many cars, I believe Dodge built a natural over steer in these cars to achieve the sharp handling characteristics on the Viper. Throttle steering is a par for the course with these cars .

Arthur

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the tech set you up for a right hand track on purpose? Why did he do such a offset on the side to side Camber. It would be interesting to see the cams on the rear lower control arms to see if they are "clocked" the same when they were finished.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caster is off too much from side to side, and if rear camber was adjusted with only one cam bolt (or both in different directions) your rear caster is going to be way off. Just because those settings are "within specs" doesn't mean it was done correctly. There are specific tools required to set this car up correctly, I know, I just went through this myself. Mine is right now and what a difference.

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caster is off too much from side to side, and if rear camber was adjusted with only one cam bolt (or both in different directions) your rear caster is going to be way off. Just because those settings are "within specs" doesn't mean it was done correctly. There are specific tools required to set this car up correctly, I know, I just went through this myself. Mine is right now and what a difference.

Thanks for your valuable input..but if the read out is within the correct specs..How much more can we set up the car correctly?

I own the 1994 shop manual and you are correct about the special tool part # 6627 for the front and for the rear part # 6648. But I checked with a few Dodge dealers that service and sell Vipers, and they told me that if a shop has the newer Hunter alignment less the 8 years old, it has this correction feature built into it.

One has to remember the back in 1994 shops were using much less accurate 1980s and early 1994 models, so one needed these "special tools" which were just a straight bars which attached to the front and back frame to set up a reference points to help the tech.

Nowadays the hunters have compensating features to replace these manual reference points.

Arthur

Hunter F111 4...circa early 1990's

http://c0358709.cdn2.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/vault/sale/1033/1_full.jpg
http://c0358709.cdn2.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/vault/sale/1033/4_full.jpg

now

http://www.hunter.com/alignment/hawkeye_elite/images/hawkeye_elite.jpg

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that alighnment is not good at all, go get it tweeked back right, and not from that previous guy.. he has you worse off

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The numbers are not that bad . Just because its in the Green does not mean its correct. It looks like he used the specified range as left and right specs for the camber. Which is not right. What he did fix was the excessive amount of rear toe in and front toe out. That is what made the most difference in handling. For street driving Camber should be equal right and left. Caster should be a little higher on the right. The hunter machine will not measure rear Caster. Dont care how new it is. Thats why i recommended you look at you rear cams on the lower control arms to see if they are in the same position front to rear.
Its not a bad alignment but it not a good one either.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's your odometer? Was there any telltale wear in your tires from the misalignment?

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's your odometer? Was there any telltale wear in your tires from the misalignment?

10 K...on the OD..I found no wearing or scrubbing on the tire sides..But the car before the alignment handled like crap and very scary to drive hard..now it feels sharp and predicable. on it's toes..I have pilot PS 2 's all around..The grip was always there..but not sharp on turn ins and high speed stability was doggy and just overall a lack of confidence in the feel of the RT-10.

I did go for a hard twisty back road **** yesterday and found the RT-10 to be very predicable and confident.

Track time is coming up in South New Jersey..I will increase speed slowly to see if the alignment is detrimental or beneficial.

Arthur

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte