Half shaft and safety loop install help.

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a search and did not see any info on installing Unitrax half shafts or the safety loops. JackB did have a couple pics of modifying one side (shaft loop bracket)to accomodate the 998 recall.

The manual does not show much. It says to replace the universal joint straps whenever they are removed due to deformation when tightened. It also recommends Loctite on the strap bolts.

Any words of wisdom or install pics for either item? Does everybody replace the straps? Any brand or grade Loctite in particular?

Thanks.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to watch, if you buy the the bolts that come with the threads already dressed with locktite be careful. If the bolts have set for any length of time the locktite or the product used can harden and make it next to impossible to thread the bolts all the way on. If that is the case use a wire wheel remove the factory applied locktite and re-coat with blue.

Also it is hard to remove and install the bolts without rotating the drive shaft, therefore, you have to be able to lift the wheels free even if you are on a lift.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10-4 on the old locktite. Those bolts are hard to turn anyway with a little 8mm wrench. I had that happen once and thought I'd break the bolt. Anyone found a better tool to quickly install these in that tight space. I've used a 1/4 ratchet and it's about the best I can find.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
5/16" Snap-On box end "brake tool" (has 5/16" and 7/16" ends...and is about 8" long)...this helpful tip comes from SUPER Viper Tech... Mr. Tom Sessions.

OP
OP
T

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just opened the half shafts box and found replacement straps and bolts included. One less thing to order.

The loops are modified like Jack B's from the factory. Looks like they paid attention!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PaulS:

A 5/16" racheting box wrench does a good job and as long as you can move the driveshaft, a 1/4" drive rachet with a thin extension works well.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I've got the stock shafts off but can't get it out. Do I have to remove the shock lower bolt to get the stock shafts out?

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get the original shaft off on one side but the other side is tight. 998 recall ....you need to remove the shock/spring to clear the larger after market shaft.

The shock/spring is tight. I use a spring compressor to pull the tension off. Putting it back on, put the top bolt through first, then pry up the base to get the bottom bolt on.

Half Shafts off and on:
If the car is in neutral, Ebrake off. Get both the wheels up off the ground. Then you can rotate the main drive shaft by hand. this will turn the half shafts. I use a 1/4" socket with 8mm with long extension. Use a 3/8" air impact. You can only align one at a time. But you can zip them off in nothing flat.

I always use new clips and new bolts. Good insurance. About $2.15 for each bolt and $3.80 for each clip.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry. But I can't see how I can pull the stock shafts out without taking off both shocks. The U-joint won't fit through the shock strut opening. Can I just take apart the U-joint and get it off the shafts?

The new shafts should be no problem going on since they come in 2 pieces and I can thread them in one half at a time. Then mate them together.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

I did mine, without taking anything off other then the straps. I have never heard anyone having to pull the shocks. You just have to get the ANGLE right, when your removing them. They only seem to come out 1 way. Also remember to compress the 1/2 shaft before pulling it out, and also installing the new ones.

Its not that hard of a job. Since Tom Sessions did my first ones, I knew anyone could do them then, and I did my second set on my own. (j/k about Tom).

Jon

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But did you have the 998 recall done at the time?

I have and I had to take off the shocks. Now I can't get the shocks back on. I don't have a set of spring compressors. :shocked:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, one more question. Are the straps similar to any other strap or do I have to get a Viper specific straps. I'm missing a set.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm stuck in my install. I can't get the shocks back on because the spring compressors at Murrays don't work. I tried the strut type but it won't fit through the coils. I tried the inner spring type but that didn't work either. I've seen the ones that AB uses but it will be another week at least before I can get it shipped to me.

Which spring compressor should I be using. Someone please help!

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, The 998 recall puts a piece in the way. Your 02 does not get the recall.

GTSnake, You can get them on without a compressor. Put the top bolt in first. Then use a large flat blade screw driver to wedge up the base of the shock. Use a flash light to look through the hole to get it lined up.

I use the cheapo spring compressors that work one on each side. They are total crap but work good for this type of work.

GT if you need some retaining clips, I have used ones along with bolts.

Email me if you need more help.

Jerry Dobson

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it is to late now, but you need to pull two of the u-joint caps off (opposite sides) to get the shaft throught the shock wishbone.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry,

I've tried using a screwdriver the spring is too strong. Maybe my screw driver is too small. I've also used the one compressor on one side but the spring just pulls the shock to one side and the holes never line up.

1Tony1 I've got the shafts through the shocks already I just can't reinstall the shock lower bolt.

I've even tried jacking up the suspension assembly to compress the spring then clamping it with the spring compressor and letting the rest come down. That didn't work either and the shock still sagged. I don't know why this is so difficult. If I knew it was going to be this much hassle I would have let someone else do it.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine how you could ever compress the springs in place. Per the factury manual, put the lower shock bolt in place. Then using a long pry bar, pry downward on the upper control arm till you can slip the upper shock into place. This worked well for me the few times I have done it.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jcaspar, you mean I have to take off another bolt to get 2 back on!!! Noooo, now I'm really getting frustrated. That upper bolt looks like a bich. I had to use the impact wrench to take off the lower one I don't think I can get a wrench up there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas