Halv Shaft 101

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just pulled the rear end and noticed some interesting details. I have the following spares: a set of Unitrax (steel) half-shafts; a set of BTR (built by Central Florida Drive shaft) half-shafts; the oem half-shafts. I realize that comparing by weight alone is not totally accurate, however, the three different half-shafts are all pretty close in basic design. If anything, the Unitrax has larger (better) transition radii and larger fillets. Here are their weights:

1. OEM: 11.5 lbs

2. BTR (Florida Central): 13.5 lbs

3. Unitrax: 17.5 lbs

In general, the Unitrax shafts have much better workmanship and are 50% heavier than the oem shafts. I removed the oem shafts early on and have run the BTR shafts for several years. I am on my third set of the BTR half-shafts. To put this in the proper perspective, the car is close to 1000 ft lbs on the nitrous. I have not broke any half-shafts, however, I continually twist them in the splines. I always scribe a line on the two halves of the shaft, this allows you to see if they are twisted.

Twisting the shaft within the spline has several negative side affects:

A. It makes is hard or impossible to change the half-shaft or remove the rear-end.

B. The suspension will not work as expected, basically it changes the handling.

C. Keep in mind if you twist the half-shaft you probably have no way of knowing you have the problem. Depending on the shaft position when it twisted it can exert large forces against the knuckles/U-joints on the outsides of the rear-end. Those joints are meant to be strong and resist rotational forces, but, in this case you are applying either tensile or compressive forces in the direction of the rear end.

I just wonder if many of the posts regarding strange noises from the rear can be explained by a twisted half shaft. In this most recent case the drivers side was twisted, my scribe marks were no more then 1/16" apart and that shaft was locked. On the passenger side I was able to push it in, however, I have not had any luck pulling it back out - I will change them both.

I am removing 3.33's if anyone is interested. It is ring/pinion only. They have been drilled/threaded for the larger 7/16" bolts.

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the shaft breaks, it is really easy to change...............................:D

I always seem to break the drivers side shaft. My latest incident:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fantastic info. Good thought on a scribe or paint line.

I often wonder if my half shaft incedent was due to a twist that was not seen. I say that as I did hear a clink/clunk a few times driving into the Nats from the hotel that morning. I did inspect both sides as I was aware there could be an issue, but did not see anything so I assumed it was the fact that the car was still new to me. I always wonder after that if there was a slight twist....

Nice job Mike!

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who has the strongest half shafts that still retain the ABS ring mount?