hardtop hoist.... has anybody built one?

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent last weekend fumbling around my garage trying to figure out a good way of setting up a hoist to lift my hardtop off my car quickly and easily by myself. I made one attempt with a rather lame design, and luckily my hardtop survived unscathed. :-0

Has anybody else set something like this up for themselves? If so please share your design!

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just stand on the passenger seat with one foot and lift it off. Im 5 9 175 and average strength. I think its pretty easy to do. I also have my socks on when i lift it off.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know who did this but I kept the picture to build one myself. Eventually..
viper030_1_.jpg

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to any of the early (1955-57) Thunderbird parts guys, such as Bill Gill on John R road in Detroit, or Bill Brown in Coshocton , OH, he has a Thunderbird parts as well, they sell a pulley type lift to raise the T-Bird hardtops off the car.....FYI....good luck...

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just stand on the passenger seat with one foot and lift it off. Im 5 9 175 and average strength. I think its pretty easy to do. I also have my socks on when i lift it off.

That is EXACTLY the lift I use; one foot on the floor, one foot on the passenger seat (or the drivers seat - your choice). Rest the edge of the top against your belly and lift. Oh, I am a little lighter than VENOMIS, and no problem.

Later,

SnakeCharmer99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No need to spend your money on a pully system, you probably allready have one at home. Mine works like this..... I take out the garbage and she helps take off the top. I cut the grass and she helps take off the top. I kill the spider crawling across the floor and she helps take off the top. I think you get the idea. :)~

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to spend your money on a pully system, you probably allready have one at home. Mine works like this..... I take out the garbage and she helps take off the top. I cut the grass and she helps take off the top. I kill the spider crawling across the floor and she helps take off the top. I think you get the idea. :)~
I also heard that if you do this often you get other things as well. I have been working on clearing my dinner plate, putting my dirty clothes in the hamper and then i mention it to her. She says good boy.. :lmao:

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife tried several times to help me over the years for me to take off hardtops, remember that most women do not have the upper body strength then men, and several times when taking off the Mercedes hardtop on our roadster, she almost dropped it on the rear trunk lid....just my $.02....good luck....

OP
OP
D

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know who did this but I kept the picture to build one myself. Eventually..
viper030_1_.jpg

Thanks, I found this thread that has a pic of a more simple holding mechanism:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/561390-diy-hoist-rt-10-hard-top.html

You must be registered for see images

Thanks for all the threads on the "lift it yourself" suggestions, I can do that but it's a bit of a balancing act--then there's storing it, my garage space is very small.

I live in Seattle, and hence have to deal with more "chance of rain" days then most. I think I've finally come up with something pretty easy and quick, I'll post photos once I've finished it.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a better suggestion THREE PIECE TOP - as easy as pie to take off yourself, plus, fits in the trunk! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc