Harland/Sharp Rocker adjustment PROBLEM!HEEELP

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While tightening the Rocker nut after -0- latch between the roller and the valve stem,all the Guru's Dave at Roe and Dan Cragin Super Guru agree to,(2) full turns then lock down.When we attempt more than 1/2 turn the VALVE/Spring starts to push down(opening).We've got the geometry right according to DAVE at Roe,and the 7.50 comp cams push rods.Why doesn't the LIFTER start to depress before the Valve spring???I've done this before 3 times and no issues.Any ideas?
the car is a 99R/T10.

Thanks bros. :confused:

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know some guru will chime in here but when we installed my set. We only went 1/2 turn. Initially when we installed everything the lifters were pumped up and that was good because we got to check the pattern on the valve stem. (center and or slightly inboard)and we knew we had the right pushrod length. That step is very important. After my lifters bled down (turning the motor over by hand-pushrods installed-will do this).We just turned the motor over until the lifter was on the low side of the cam. reinstalled the pushrod until we got zero lash and went 1/2 turn. You also got to have at least a thread or two coming thru (bottom) in order to get the oil up thru the rocker(pushrod)adjustment bolt and thru the arm.

No problems here.

Hope that helps

R

RTED

I installed the Harland Sharp rollers early this Spring and noticed the same problem....valve started to open up before completing the adjustment. After a phone calls to Roe Racing, the explanation made sense...."the lifters are loaded and causing the valve to open, adjust the rocker and wait a few minutes and the valve will slowly close as the preasure on the lifter releaves the oil pressure". They were right...5,000 miles later....all is well! Good luck!

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a good sign that your valves begin to open after a 1/2 turn, meaning that your hydraulic lifters are in good shape. Lifters which are soft should be a concern, if they don't get hard after 2-3 minutes when engin running.

OP
OP
T

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All makes sense,thanks viper BROTHA'S.
We did 1/2 turn and ran the car,it run's fine,better than before,i'm gonna check out RTED's layout also!
:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't want to pre-load the lifter anymore than absolutely necessary. If you put a bunch of pre-load in a hydraulic lifter it can pump up at high rpms and cause the valves to float. I think one turn on the Harlands equals about .050" which is more than enough pre-load. It sounds like you've figured it out and 1/2 turn past 0 lash works great.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1/2 a turn for me as well this summer when I installed my Harlands. Two turns just seemed to be too much. I went with my gut and my car has never pulled so hard. Infact it was running so good I made a 180mph run later that afternoon. She was still climbing, but I was running out of safe road and I had to shut her down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang