Has anyone removed the mufflers and replaced with straight pipe in a Gen 4?

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thinking that maybe someone has thought about trying this.
Just replacing the stock mufflers on a Gen 4 with Straight Pipe; has anyone tried this?
How did is sound? and what about drone sound?
Thanks
Ray

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this with my old Gen 2 and was quite happy along with tons of other track mods but do not want it done on my Gen 4. It is a lot louder without the mufflers but you will get drone. The race cam and headers complimented the straight pipe sound but with stock cam Im not so sure. Its more of a preferred package deal.

noisy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im actually thinking of doing the same with my exhaust setup plus belanger headers. For me, i want it real loud and i dont really mind the drone coz im used to it. Anyone did this or have videos on a gen 3/4?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cranked my Gen III up with open headers just for the hell of it. It sounded great at idle, but WAY to loud at high RPM's (and I've had some straight pipe exhaust cars before).
It was fine on past cars, and would be fine with it on Gen II where the exhaust exits in the rear, but on a Gen III/IV, with the exhaust coming out right where you sit, it's just too much.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never actually drove it, so I never tried to make it through emissions here, but it would have been fine here.
You're only going to get a CEL by deleting the cats (or certain brands of headers). I have M&M headers, no cats, and the Mopar Race Exhaust on mine. The CEL comes on initially, but all you do is get an SCT tuner that tricks the O2 sensors into thinking everything is fine, and no more CEL.
I wouldn't pass emissions in some states that use a "sniffer", but all they do here is check your gas cap and scan for any codes, so I'm good.

OP
OP
A

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I choose to try this I would be leaving the stock exhaust manifolds and cats on the car.
Gen IV can not get a SCT Tunner to program out the CEL.
Thanks for the info guys.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive heard a few gen3/4 like that. i like the sound

search for richies DLM gen3 car, that had no cats and minimal mufflers

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the mufflers on my 03 with straight pipe way back then. The inspiration came from this thread started by Viperfreak2 http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/556512-Easy-change!-and-it-sounds-GREAT! It did sound good and I ran that set up until I traded for my 06 FE. Roanoke sent the straight pipes back to me after the trade. I had saved the mufflers and they put it back to stock. I still have the straight pipes in the unopened box from Roanoke. They have been stored in a climate controlled area and probably still look fine. Free to anyone who wants them--just pay the freight. But I am not going to unpack, inspect, and re-pack them. Freight would probably be about $25 unless buyer is on the west coast. Sorry for the hijack, I know the OP is talking Gen4, not Gen3.

Bill

OP
OP
A

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smog Dog
Is the exhaust pipes different size on the Gen III vs Gen IV ACR?
Thanks
Ray

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok the 03-06 are not the same as the 08-10 there is 1" diference the 08-10 is longer than the 03-06 FYI. they can work with some work by cutting an 1" or adding, the muflers are the same but the cats are not.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Belanger headers, high flow cats with Corsa exhaust on my GTS. I'm thinking about removing the resonators. Will this increase the sound without a lot of drone? Will it hurt performance or MPG?

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my Gen III which has straight pipe after the primary cat. Still passes WI and CA emissions. I live in WI, car was sold in CA with "SMOG PASS" Stickers on it. Not sure the rules in CA, if they're just bs stickers or not. WI emissions is a simple OBD-II plug in. I'm not even in my thirties and its too loud for me ;)

http://youtu.be/rp0i2fJ2jbU