Has anyone seen Cracks in Doors like this...

kilo17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was cleaning the car and noticed a crack on the inner part of the door jam....it is cracked all the way through... since the car is new and only has 600 miles I'm hoping its covered under warranty.... any thoughts would be appreciated...keith

You must be registered for see images

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it my imagination, or in the middle photo is there separation of the door inner half from the outer door skin (vertical gap at the right of the photo)?

OP
OP
K

kilo17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it my imagination, or in the middle photo is there separation of the door inner half from the outer door skin (vertical gap at the right of the photo)?

It is def. slightly separated as opposed to the other side which is flush....I must say that the folks on this forum do not miss a thing.... ( such as my basketball net and weeds in the Character Lines in my driveway- both have been taken care of :)).... I also think Character Line is a much better way to describe it....

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has that been repaired before? Looking at the paintwork closer to the hinge area looks pretty rough.

OP
OP
K

kilo17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought it new 7 weeks ago... the outside portion just below the mirror doesn't line up either like all the other panels, although that is a separate piece.... i am sure that it wasn't in an accident but i am wondering if the door wasn't aligned properly and jammed causing the crack and misalignment, or if it was something that was repaired at the factory.... thanx again for the help....

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panel alignment wasn't Dodge's strong suit on these cars, but that hinge area and the inner panel look repaired. Does the door shut okay? I would just want to make sure it doesn't have something happening there that would cause the crack to become worse.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being new doesn't mean not wrecked. Dealers have a nasty habit of damaging vehicles and just touching them up in their paint shop to sell them.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have seen waved inner work like that before on the newer vipers, looks normal to me other than the crack

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post it in the Grail Trail forum to see what Herb has to say about it...

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That white crack does remind one of Mrs. Green the Librarian.

OP
OP
K

kilo17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way....that is a Woodhouse car. Would never happen.......

I agree... that is not a dealer issue....Bill P and Mark J from Woodhouse have been incredible every step of the way....from the time I first contacted them they have been top notch and I am glad I bought the car from Woodhouse....

jknappster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panel alignment wasn't Dodge's strong suit on these cars, but that hinge area and the inner panel look repaired. Does the door shut okay? I would just want to make sure it doesn't have something happening there that would cause the crack to become worse.

Quality control is not Dodge's strong suit!

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the skills, carefully remove the inner door panel and see if there is any damage visible to the door on the inside.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that car is now branded- oohh-white crack-- take it back and get it fixed, ints under warranty

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have the skills, carefully remove the inner door panel and see if there is any damage visible to the door on the inside.

And take the chance on damaging the door panel (plenty of past threads on this issue) and them blaming you for causing the damage - and for a brand new car under warranty? I think not.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This may sound like a silly question but have you felt the "crack" to make sure it is indeed a crack? I've had to do many "double takes" for things that looked a lot like cracks and paint chips (I also have a white car) just to discover that they were actually remnants of the black sticky goop used around the door area.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may sound like a silly question but have you felt the "crack" to make sure it is indeed a crack? I've had to do many "double takes" for things that looked a lot like cracks and paint chips (I also have a white car) just to discover that they were actually remnants of the black sticky goop used around the door area.

It does kind of look like a drip

OP
OP
K

kilo17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the small black access panel and the crack goes all the way through and separates easily.... Now that I have looked at it carefully and compared to the other side, it appears that the separation seen between the inner and outer part of the door is either a defect in the shape of the inner part or it was sealed to the outer part of the door incorrectly.... which may explain the crack/stress fracture/character line.... the seal between the inner and outer half is actually between the pieces where it appears separated and not at the end of where the pieces join.....i think that explanation is actually more confusing than where the character line came from....thanx...keith...
also, looking through the black access panel, there does not appear to be any additional damage...

jknappster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was the outcome of this issue? Would a crack like this be covered under an extended warranty program? Check your doors everyone! I have the same issue on my 04, purchased from the original owner and NEVER been damaged (e.g. in a wreck, etc).

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was the outcome of this issue? Would a crack like this be covered under an extended warranty program? Check your doors everyone! I have the same issue on my 04, purchased from the original owner and NEVER been damaged (e.g. in a wreck, etc).

The OP would be covered under regular warranty since his car is 2010. I would think if you have Max Care extended warranty, you would be covered also as it is bumper to bumper, best warranty to have in your Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21