Has anyoone done heads/cam on 06

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done a heads/cam package on an 06? What were the gains on the dyon? What heads and cam did you go with?

J

Reaction score
05' Viper Greg Good heads, custom Comp Cams bump stick, Jessel rockers, Belanger headers and Corsa cat back with 1 set high flows. Tuned with a Dastech piggy back at the time.

Gained about 75-80hp at the crank, about $20K at the time all in...

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much better gain for less money with a supercharger...

without a doubt, but to me nothing compares to the rumble of a big block. in a way the n/a route also seems a little more civil as far as driveability goes. It is essentially just making the motor breath better and being more efficient vs. forcing it to take in the air.

now dont get me wrong I wouldn't mind slapping a pair of turbos on my car with my heads/cam. Just curious how the GenIII's are responding.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Talk with Kevin at Exotic Engine. They can build it from mild to wild (try 740 hp at the crank NA).

Best heads currently for Gen III seem to be Jeff Moreys Stryker heads though the rumor has it we'll see a Mopar 2008 heads / intake set up become available at VOI 10.

Dan

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine a paxton or a Roe or a TT on a heads/Cam combo. That is where you will see the true gains. That way do the heads/cam now leaving you options down the road for some serious Forced Induction.

Reaction score
Normally a great N/A setup will NOT be good for F/I cars because of the overlap in valves so i would plan on a custom F/I cam if you do this after the H/C build.

Imagine a paxton or a Roe or a TT on a heads/Cam combo. That is where you will see the true gains. That way do the heads/cam now leaving you options down the road for some serious Forced Induction.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Sean's new SRT blower works like his gen 2 blower, you can get the same "HP right now" effect that you get with a strong N/A motor.
In addition, you will get the same HP without having the minor problems associated with a big HP N/A motor. (I.E.. rocker arm adjustment, and basically everyday "stop and go" drivability.)...IMO

Biggest bonus would be a lot less money

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^ya but I gotta hear the car rumble at idle and scream like a wild ape as it goes thru the rpm's. nothing like it.

On my current h/c I went with a grind that is suitable for boost and went ahead and had Greg Good put in the inconela(sp) valves just in case turbos go on the car.

I love the hp one can get in anyway but ever since I put the cam in the car I think I would take that route initially before any other mods.

What gains are people seeing on the GENIII's? On my GENII I picked up (without pulling out the dyno sheets) I believe 100-110 range and an awesome sound.

J

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, there is nothing like the rumble of a big cam and the "scream like a wild ape as it goes through the rpm's" BUT have you heard the whine of a blower over about 4000 rpm's... Nothing like that either.

On my 01, I added the blower first year. Built the the engine (Forged, BIG cam, Striker heads etc) the next year. The "build" matched my F/I requirements. Including a possible TT..

On my 06 SS coupe I have a Paxton that I am going to install this Winter. I will build the motor to meet the needs of the blower the following Winter.

My point being, like others (a lot smarter than me) have stated, that the specs for a strong NA motor won't work if you decide to go FI. If you install a blower on a stock engine, that might be enough hp for your needs. If not, build the motor to work with the blower. If you build the strong NA motor first, you will need to modify the engine you just built.

IMHO...Unfortunately for me, from expensive experience

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean like the sound of this Roe SC? I have to agree, nothing like it, sounding like a wild ape would be an under statement. This is my favorite video for those that dont know. Cant wait to hear what the new ROE sounds like
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Supercharged-Viper_133661.htm
I agree, there is nothing like the rumble of a big cam and the "scream like a wild ape as it goes through the rpm's" BUT have you heard the whine of a blower over about 4000 rpm's... Nothing like that either.

On my 01, I added the blower first year. Built the the engine (Forged, BIG cam, Striker heads etc) the next year. The "build" matched my F/I requirements. Including a possible TT..

On my 06 SS coupe I have a Paxton that I am going to install this Winter. I will build the motor to meet the needs of the blower the following Winter.

My point being, like others (a lot smarter than me) have stated, that the specs for a strong NA motor won't work if you decide to go FI. If you install a blower on a stock engine, that might be enough hp for your needs. If not, build the motor to work with the blower. If you build the strong NA motor first, you will need to modify the engine you just built.

IMHO...Unfortunately for me, from expensive experience

Last edited:

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel for you J DAWG, I'm going big on my NA build now. Love the car shaking and the intense sound coming out of the back.

But its all about what you want. Mid 600rw shouldn't be a big deal with GOOD heads and a GOOD cam.

Steve

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You mean like the sound of this Roe SC? I have to agree, nothing like it, sounding like a wild ape would be an under statement. This is my favorite video for those that dont know. Cant wait to hear what the new ROE sounds like
Supercharged Viper- Video

I was about to join in and say how awesome NA cars sound... but that video.. wow! Sends shivers down my spine!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960