Have been reading some interesting stuff on fuel additives on the Cobra site.....

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was once told that what make super unleaded SUPER was BXT. Benzene (probably not so much now), xylene, and toluene. If anyone knows the recipe I have 8000 gallons of toluene at work! No.............I would never do that. Hmmmmmm.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All those components may have an octane higher than "premium" gasoline, but none will raise octane any more than the ratio at which you use it. In other words, the octane increase is in proportion to how much of those components you use, and you can only get up to the octane of this new component. (There is no replacement for tetra-ethyl lead.)

To get anything noticeable, you need something that alters the rate of combustion; something that has a delayed onset of combustion, then a rapid rate so that peak cylinder pressures are centered at 16 degrees or so ATC. This is (or around this value) is the best mechanical advantage of gas pressures pushing down on the piston. Think about spark timing - it starts around 35 BTDC, hopefully peak pressures are around 16 ATC, then pressures drop quickly after that due to cooling and expansion. If you could reduce the pressure build-up time more of the work would be done when the mechanical engine could take advantage of it. You would need things like picric acid or nitro-compounds.

Anything with oxygen brings added complications. The oxygen in the molecule leans out the mixture, so adding, for instance, a large amount of methanol, which is 50% oxygen, will raise the octane and lean the mixture. Further, it will cool the incoming mixture, too, so you have some good (octane and cool) and some bad (lean) and eventually the stock ECU can't figure out what to do.

BXT's are on the toxicological no-no lists. Benzene and xylene are great solvents, too, but jeez, keep them off your skin.

My opinion is that every example of where these things might have helped was because the engine wasn't tuned quite right (cam choice with fuel metering or air flow rates with vavle size, etc.) and the added fuel component was a bandaid, changing combustion rate or combustion timing to get back what the engien should have been doing.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tom........ Whew.

I read and save all your stuff....I think you should have your own guru {geek!?} section here.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have tested a number of Octane boosters with Mustangs and found that none of them effectively increased the octane or raised the level of resistance to detonation.

However, recently we came across a Race Fuel Concentrate that works as advertised. It is not an Octane Booster, but is a concentrated high octane, unleaded race fuel. Mixed with premium fuel, it works great.

Our Mustang tuner tested some on his Cobra while adjusting timing and fuel with his software. Using premium gas, he adjusted to the point of pinging. After trying a few different boosters, none of them had any effect. After trying the Race Fuel Concentrate, he was able to dump timing in without any pinging or detonation....

We bought a few cases, and it sold out. We are expecting 2 more cases this week.

Benefits include:
·Race fuel concentrate--NOT an octane boost!
·Performs as well as any unleaded racing gasoline within the limits of compression and rpms
·Contains the most proven octane enhancement technology known to the racing industry
·Great for Vipers with increased compression ratios!
·32oz. bottle added to 20 gallons of 93 octane fuel produces 97 octane!
·32oz. bottle added to 10 gallons of 93 octane fuel produces 104 octane!
·32oz. bottle added to 5 gallons of 93 octane fuel produces 107 octane!

·Dyno-proven by APEX Motorsports to compensate for added compression ratio and advanced timing!

·Only $17.95 per quart and in stock!
You can call me at 408.562.1000 with any questions, or to order some up.

Thank you.
-Wayne

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The highest Octane I've ever tried was the 104 octane that they had at a few gas stations down in Los Angeles. I can virtually feel the difference. Don't know whether they still have it now? As here in Vancouver, BC, the highest octane here is 94. I guess that will do for me.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LTHL VPR,
What is a fuel "concentrate?" Different fuels do have different densities, which require air-fuel ratio or timing changes to burn properly, but a concentrate seems to imply that all the "good stuff" is captured in a small container. Can you explain this?

The performance claims you've listed include both "...NOT an octane boost" and "Contains the most proven octane enhancement technology" followed by examples of the starting (93) and ending octane (97-107.) Can you explain how it's not an octane boost but raised the octane?

The octane rating of fuels is the average of the Motor and Research methods (hence R+M/2 on the yellow gas pump sticker.) Can you share the Research and Motor octane numbers? The change in Research compared to the change in Motor numbers help digest under what conditions this would be a benefit.

Your experiment allowed you more spark advance, but a) was the engine tuned to knock-limited peak power with a reasonable A/F ratio first? and b) did you measure a power increase with the new component? (I can find chemicals that slow the rate of combustion, allow more spark advance, and *lose* power.)

Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187