Have you ever tried to close the rear glass, but it just won't latch?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to close the rear glass, but it just won\'t latch?

Here is what I did, when this happened to me.

All I had with me in the way of tools was my trusty 12-in-1, good-for-nothing Leatherman. And as luck would have it, some WD40.

It was the end of a long hot drive, and the car was really baked by the sun, plus the engine had been idleing in stop and go traffic for hours. I think the car and I had reached that theoretical state of thermal equilibrium, where everything is at the same temperature. After getting something out of the trunk, I tried to close the lid, but it just kept popping back open.

Chances are, you can fix this yourself, and you don't need a degree in mechanical engineering. All that happened in this case is that the lock was being continuously released, as if the key was being turned. Checking the tumbler, I found that the key was not stuck in the release position, so the problem was not in the tumbler, but in the lock itself.

To reach the lock mechanism, you need first to remove the press-on rubber molding that surrounds the hatch area. It has been put on with some kind of super sticky black compound, almost like a tar, that will stick to you, your car, and whatever else it comes in contact with, so don't let it get all over the place. You only need to pull it back far enough to expose the plastic lock cover, which goes over that lock bulge in the rear portion of the trunk rim.

Using the Phillips driver, remove four black screws that holds the cover over the lock mechanism. There are also two little snaps that you have to pry out with a straight blade. Don't lose the screws, and note differences in the length.

Crane your head in the trunk, downward, until you can see the lock mechanism. After the blood has stopped rushing to your eyeballs, and you can see again, note that the lock mechanism is housed in a sheetmetal can-type assembly, that defies analysis. (!)

That's ok, we only need to lubricate it at this time.

When you turn the key toward release, you are actually pulling a cable that goes from the key tumbler, up to the lock mechanism, which rotates a cylinder, which releases the catch. This cable was not taut, indicating that the "signal" for release was not coming from the cable, as when the key is turned.

This two part plastic cylinder, keyed together with serations, must rotate to release the catch, when the key is turned. When the key is released, the cylinder is supposed to return to its normal position, which allows the lock to catch the bar on the glass, and hold it, keeping the lid closed.

This cylinder had rotated just fine, when the key was turned toward release, or open, and the only problem was that it had not returned to its normal position, holding the catch mechanism in a constant release state.

Spraying some WD40 right onto where that cylinder rotates casued it to return to its normal position right away.

If that works for you, put everything back just the way you found it, and note that the screws for the trim need to go back into holes in the rear clip, (Or trunk tub), and to find these holes, you must look behind the trim, as you push the screws in, until they are lined up, then you can spin 'em down.

So if your glass won't close, don't freak out. All is not lost, and the answer can be very simple.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Have you ever tried to close the rear glass, but it just won\'t latch?

Thanks Vic...
I always wondered about this "potential" problem. I have reworked mine and all looks well.
Thanks again.

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,
CStegall

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

CStegall-

Hope it helps!

Happy motoring!

-Vic

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AQX:
I had a non-latching hatch the other day, and after
bouncing it up and down a few times, feeling & looking
like an idiot, it dawned on me to check the hatch-release
lever on the floor of the driver's seat. Sure enough, it
was very slightly caught on the floor mat - not enough to
notice, but evidently just enough to prevent the hatch
from latching.

Michael

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! I should have thought of that, too! Thats' a good one that didn't occur to me. Mark that down as another possible cause!

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same thing happen as Michael, but it took me 15 minutes to figure out.

Then the other day at the Viper Brawl I couldn't get it to latch and thought I had the same problem. However after several attempts and moving the mat around Dean noticed that there was something blocking the hatch from closing. Believe it or not the entire steel loop and bracket had popped off from the glass!! The adhesive had just given up and separated very cleanly from the glass!

Paul and I found a hardware store in tiny Ft. Davis about to close and bought some LocTite epoxy in little single use packets that you knead and then apply; very cool and not messy! Dean had some channel locks and after a thorough cleaning of both surfaces with rubbing alcohol, applied the epoxy and carefully aligned. Now it is as good or better than new! It would have been a disaster if we could not have fixed it as it would have prevented me from and excellent weekend of snake mania.
smile.gif

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Bigs, I'm really surprised that you were successful with the epoxy. I thought it would be not as good as the factory glue.

But anyway, that's good news, in case it happens to mine. LocTite!

By the way, where did the adhesive separate? Did it make a clean break from the glass? If so, then maybe a little sandpaper on the glass mating area would help the LocTite, too.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vic, We stood in front of the sandpaper bins and decided against it. I failed to mention though that Dean had a handy wallet razor blade and we did scrape the surfaces first. There was a small amount of adhesive still on the glass, but aside from that it came off clean. Could have something to do with 100 degree heat and high speed runs with the windows open.
laugh.gif