Have You Experienced this Noise?

BigSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a 06 Coupe with 10,500 miles on it. The car is totally stock. I am hearing this whine that seems to be coming from the passenger side rear.

I hear the whine while cruising at 60mph in gears 3rd - 6th with slight throttle. The whine goes away if I engage the clutch or when I rear 75mph.

Other than that whine, everything else is fine. I can shift through the gears while driving easy or WOT runs.

Since this wine seems to happen in more than one gear and goes away if I take it out of gear or engage the clutch, I am guessing that it is the rear differential. Since I just bought the car, I am planning on getting the engine oil changed. Maybe I should get the rear differential oil changed as well.

What do you guys think?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine made that sound and it turned out to be a bearing in the rear end. In fact mine is making that sound again and when I change the rear fluids here shortly, I am going to have another bearing installed. Not sure why it keeps going out. Has done it since new. i should just drop the Quafe in and be done with it already. I do have 3.50 gears in the back though.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a 06 Coupe with 10,500 miles on it. The car is totally stock. I am hearing this whine that seems to be coming from the passenger side rear.

I hear the whine while cruising at 60mph in gears 3rd - 6th with slight throttle. The whine goes away if I engage the clutch or when I rear 75mph.

Other than that whine, everything else is fine. I can shift through the gears while driving easy or WOT runs.

Since this wine seems to happen in more than one gear and goes away if I take it out of gear or engage the clutch, I am guessing that it is the rear differential. Since I just bought the car, I am planning on getting the engine oil changed. Maybe I should get the rear differential oil changed as well.

What do you guys think?

you mentioned it happens in more than one gear...but does it happen at a certain RPM?...what about cruising then lifting off the trottle?

OP
OP
B

BigSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses.

Venom, if I am cruising at 60-65mph in 3-6 gears with slight throttle, if I let off the throttle and the speed drops below 60mph, when I start cruising again below 60mph, the whine is not there.

Also, if I increase throttle and the speed increases to 75mph and above and I maintain that speed the whine is not there.

The whine is only apparent when I maintain a cruising speed of 60-65mph in 3-6 gears, as I move above or below those speeds, the whine goes away. That being said, the RPMs ar different in each gear at that constant speed.

It really is wierd, and not in a good way. :dunno:

chiurw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack this thread but couldn't find a way to post a new one.

I too own a 2006 Viper with 12,900 miles with a rear diff that makes noise. I can best describe the noise as two cymbols slightly rubbing. It is very evident coasting at about 10 mph, clutch engaged, and gets loader when I slightly turn the steering wheel in either direction. Is this a common problem with the Viper's limited slip diffs?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine