Having charging issues...

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car is a 02 gts and when im away for work i allways put the trickle charger on it, so last time i was home i was at a buddys shop and no trickle charger so killed the battery, boosted it drove it home 45 mins and parked it in garage but trickle charger on it over night next morning went to start it and half a whirl and click click click. So ever since i had the car at nigth time lights would allways pulsate a bit, so when driving volt gauge is right up to 14 at idle it drops down and battery light will come on. So i took alternator of took it to a shop they opened it up and nothign wrong he said all looks good. I put in a new mopar battery when i bougth the car like 3 years ago. And when i put it in i tightened the cables really good. unless one is a little loose?? What would you guys say is going on here?? thanks alot!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The previous battery in my '01 only lasted 4 years...easy answer is another battery...but other's will chime in with their battery experiences.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing I would do is get the car running and then under the hood, put a volt meter on the Positive and negative posts (drivers side). With the car running, you should get high 13 to 14 volts with it running. Also, throw the headlights on and make sure the alternator can still supply that voltage. If it does, rip out the battery and replace. If you dont get the voltage, sounds like alternator or wiring...

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it does turn out to be a bad battery; get a Battery Tender instead of the trickle charger. TC's send juice to the battery continuously - not ideal for the battery's life and functionality. Tenders (its a brand name) send juice to the battery only when it needs it....in order to stay fully, but not over-, charged.

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok will do I bought the mopar one last time I'm not sure if it has warranty I not I may get a little bigger one!! These v10's take a lot to turn them over !! Also I did the volt meter on the car with it running and it was only at 12.9 to 13.5

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also if the battery was real low would that make the volt gauge drop down at idle in the car and cause the battery light to flicker on?? Then rev it up the gauge comes up and stays up when driving it!!

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also if the battery was real low would that make the volt gauge drop down at idle in the car and cause the battery light to flicker on?? Then rev it up the gauge comes up and stays up when driving it!!
Did you use a volt meter (DVM) or the Volt meter in the dash of the car?

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used a actual volt meter hooked it up to car I think if I remember right it was 12.9 13.3 somewheres around there I believe in car driving car gauge is up nice and high it's just at idle that it drops down!!

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure the alternator belt is nce and tight... If it is, I would replace the battery. Could have a shorted cell.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
perfect thanks alot guys great site with great help!!!! Will do!! all of the above!!! How many cranking amps are you guys using whats factory call for?? Im not home im away for work ill be home thursday and get her going then!!

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also while lookin for a new battery any recommendations and how many cranking amps you guys using?? Thanks

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, industry standard for regulators is 14.2 volts. I realize that the PCM controls voltage in these cars, but with a good battery and alternator you should be seeing approx. that on a volt meter. I used to work at a place that manufactured alternators and regulators.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm using an Energizer Max E78-N, 960 cranking amps, 770 cold cranking amps. I got it earlier this year at Sam's Club. I haven't had any problems, but I also haven't had to use it in the cold yet.

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
all the batteries i been looking at that have the higher amps are side and top im not sure if ill have enough room for side and top post did any of you guys put in a side and top post battery?