Head Gasket Weep - How do you know?

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In regards to the large amounts of posts about defective head gaskets etc. How do you know if there is a problem, what are the symptoms? Heck I am going to have to stop reading this forum before I drive myself crazy. Considering that I have no extended warranty I am getting a bit paranoid!

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In most cases, I have found the gaskets leak on initial start up when the engine is dead cold.( sitting more than 6 hrs.) When first started, coolant will leak down the side of the block until enough heat is generated to seal the deck surface from expansion. Some leak worse than others. You may never see any coolant on the floor but still have a leak. I've had some that stop leaking after 15 seconds! The leak is so small, it just slowly runs down the side of the block. It then stops leaking and the small amount of coolant that has come out dries on the block. I also think that some people don't see coolant because they usually start to pull out of the garage within 1 minute of starting the car. Try this, start your car and let it run on a nice clean floor until she warms up. Pull out and look for coolant on the ground. The best way is to get it up in the air and look from undernieth! Good luck, hope they are a-ok.dj

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good info above, plus:

The weep-tracks on the block, under the head gasket seam, often do NOT drip to ground....they evaporate too fast.

Internal leaks can be detected by an exhaust-gas diagnostic sniffer. Shows Glycol in exhaust = leak.

Often, a "mystery aroma" distinctive of coolant is present after shutoff.

Precautions: Torge the heads every 3000 - 5000 miles, but dont be surprised if they are alreday over-tight.....

Sleep better: They do NOT fail fatally....just annoyingly die a slow death.

JonB

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At what point should we replace the head bolts (new stock item for PartsPack...hint, hint)?? I don't think you're supposed to reuse head bolts, and I have seen a head bolt fail (rebuilt 258ci AMC/Jeep engine) and it's not pretty.

I guess to answer my own question, I would retorque once, and then check 3,000 - 5,000 miles later. I'd then replace any bolt that needed more than 1/8 turn (so I could sleep at night).

Dave

Reaction score
David, tried your suggestion on the gasket leak and discovered some coolant on my floor. I called John at Parts Rack and he was a huge help. Thank god for an extended warranty if it is the head gaskets and/or the water pump. Now, I need to find a Viper Tech since there is not one anywhere near Jacksonville. Thanks for the info and John at Parts Rack

SNK BIT in WA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the only thing that has not been mentioned is taking it to your Viper Tech. That is how mine was discovered. With my lack of mechanical skills I rely on the experts at Timberline Dodge and the discussions that occur here to make me aware of these types of issues.