head gaskets in gen I

TampaViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a 94 with 19.5k miles. i know they have a reputation for head gasket problems. anyone have any real data on the problem like what percentage go bad, when they go bad, warning signs, the average damage, cost to replace. i am wondering if this is something i should do prophylacticaly?

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always heard it said "it's not if, it's when". Head gasket design was inferior, and the new ones are supposed to be a lot better. Mine started leaking at about 30k miles. Tracks down he block from coolant. Some have lasted a LOT longer, and some have had them go sooner. The gasket kit is expensive - like $900. Recently someone in here DIY the head gaskets (and other stuff that should be done while you're in there). Do a search. You will find a ton of info.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems as though warranty pays about 10 hours for the job, so customer pay rate should be about 14 hours (warranty * 1.4). Most Viper techs get around $100/hour labor, so you're looking around $2500 (with tax included) for the job.

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TampaViper, I just had the head gaskets replaced on my '94 with only 9,300 miles.

Gasket Kit: $768
Labor: $850
TOTAL: $1618

The gaskets were just starting to show signs of seepage between cylinders 3&5 and 7&9.

The best explanation I've heard for the gasket issue is that the antifreeze becomes acidic over time and literally eats the paper away. The only way to avoid this is to keep your coolant pH balanced or change it every three years minimum. There are other "theories" but this is the one that makes the most sense to me.

Better safe than sorry. Have your car inspected by a Viper Tech and do the right thing. $1618 is a LOT cheaper than a complete rebuild.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had my head gaskets replaced after finding a puddle under the car when I took it out of storage.
10 years old and 15,000 miles when this happened.
Total cost with new plugs and wires, $2200. done at dealership.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had my head gaskets replaced after finding a puddle under the car when I took it out of storage.
10 years old and 15,000 miles when this happened.
Total cost with fluids, plugs, wires, oil change. $2200. done at dealership.

RSenn94RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine replaced at the dealership about 9 months ago. My 1994 RT/10 had 8,000 miles and was showing some signs of weeping. The total cost for mine was $1700.00. No problems since then.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tampaviper,
If you are a DIY person, I am willing to help.
I realize that the Gen II is different, but as long as we have the serivce manual, not a problem.
I picked up my motor from the machine shop and had the entire motor assembled in 8 hours(except for water pump!). The motors are very simple and this can be done in the car.

Either way, let me know when you will be on the road so we can cruise together.....I should be wrapped up this weekend with motor install.

OP
OP
T

TampaViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great. Thanks to everyone. Hemibeep - I'd be weary of doing it myself, but would be jazzed at the thought of doing it with some help. Since I am not having any problems with her now, maybe we could do this in the relative cool of the Florida winter? We should get together before then and cruise around.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TampaViper, Do it yourself. If you get a few basic tools it will make the project simple. It is time consuming but not hard. Search on my posts when I did it.

anthony1999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am having my done at the dealership right now! 19.5 K miles and under extended warranty.. :) An 11 year old car under warranty, can you imagine that! but they are holding it for two to three weeks....

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having my done at the dealership right now! 19.5 K miles and under extended warranty.. :) An 11 year old car under warranty, can you imagine that! but they are holding it for two to three weeks....

2-3 weeks, that is a joke. One day job for a mechanic dedicated to the car. I would never let my car sit at a dealership that long.

anthony1999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the extended warranty not too long ago.. good up to 3 years or a certain mileage I forget.

I thought it was a joke too, but they said they had to order parts, and I guess I am last on the list for the viper tech because it's under warranty. But I figured Al from Valaya brought me in so it should be ok.. I will let you know once I get it back

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure they use RTV on the thermostat crossover gaskets and the 4 bolts! Call your tech and talk to him about it, go down there and label the parts or something to remind him.