Head gaskets

Big Dog

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 95 RT/10 that I have had for 2 years. I purchased it through a broker 2 years ago with 14,500 on it. I now have 17,500 on it and I have been told that I should replace the head gaskets. Since I do not know who the 3 previous owners have been is there anyway to determine if the Gaskets have already been replaced without removing the heads.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you put the car on a rack and look up under the engine you will be able to see the head gaskets sticking out from the side of the head. The replacement gaskets are black MLS (multi layer steel). the original gaskets are brown (composite). They tend to degrade over time. If you service your cooling system every two years then this is less likely to happen.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A more tell tale visual once you have the car in the air is if you notice streaks down the block. You'll notice right away. Dark brown water stains and maybe a drip at the bottom of antifreeze. That's the first signs of seepage. After I replaced mine at 17000 miles I went to a NAPA parts dealer and bought some aluminum brightener/cleaner and sprayed the block under the heads on both sides and it ended up looking new again. Took all stains out. Spray it on and hose it off. It's acid based and makes the raw aluminum look factory fresh. I think it's called Alumabrite.

Sainthitch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a 94 and i am also looking at changing the gaskets...Does anyone know what a realistic cost is to have this done? or is it easily enough done by myself?

I do have a fair amount of experience with engines, just not a v10 monster. can i keep it in the car when changing the gaskets? or best to drop the engine out?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if the posts are still searchable but I put an extensive write-up with pics out there a long time ago. Rather simple to do but took me a lot of time. Remove hood and you are good to go.

OP
OP
B

Big Dog

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do have streaks at the back of the block but they may have been there before the gaskets were changed and not removed.They are not fresh and there is no sign any leakage now. Sure wish I could find previous owners to see if they had been changed already.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why not just post a high-res picture of the gaskets where they are visible under the headers? I can easily tell you if they have been replaced.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do have streaks at the back of the block but they may have been there before the gaskets were changed and not removed.They are not fresh and there is no sign any leakage now. Sure wish I could find previous owners to see if they had been changed already.

Try seaching the service history with the VIN through a Dodge dealership if you haven't already done so.

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a 94 and i am also looking at changing the gaskets...Does anyone know what a realistic cost is to have this done? or is it easily enough done by myself?

I do have a fair amount of experience with engines, just not a v10 monster. can i keep it in the car when changing the gaskets? or best to drop the engine out?

I did my '95 for about $1000...all parts cost. That's including the new thermostat, plugs, plug wires and fuel filter. I had a buddy help me out because he owns a lift. Took us a weekend. I paid for his time in reloaded .45 ACP ammunition. :2tu:

Sainthitch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wonder if the posts are still searchable but I put an extensive write-up with pics out there a long time ago. Rather simple to do but took me a lot of time. Remove hood and you are good to go.

I tried doing the search under "head gasket" but everything i find with any instructions, or details, all have too old of a post and the pictures are no good. Im going to assume that as long as i go by the manual, i should have no issues.

Appreciate your help though.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you end up needing the gaskets, call us- we stock all of them, and supply pretty much everyone, being the ones who brought these to the market. We also offer far superior gaskets to replace all of the Paper Mopar gaskets, and all of their wonderful problem causing tendencies.

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
without a doubt go with Dan's gaskets,,, he sells the AFM's for all the other componets and they are wayyyyyy better than the paper ones. Got all of them on mine.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$600 bux. You can do it in your garage with the car on stands in a weekend or a long day. It's a straight forward job. Do not try to be neet by removing the radiator drain plug (stock drain plugs may twist out the bottom of your radiator!), just pull the bottom hose or be very careful!

a few more tips:
Remove the hood (but it can be done with it on).
Remove the heat shields after you remove the valve covers (shields may scratch the painted covers).
Valve cover gaskets are re-usable.
Good time to swap the t-stat and hoses (the t-stat is a pain to do with the intake on later).
Early '94s (4 stripe manifolds) may have a hidden bolt holding the fuel line just in front of the crossover.
One of the bracket bolts on the front passenger side head may bind and strip a few threads (be ready to chase the hole with a fresh tap if necessary). Two of the ones I've done had this problem.:dunno: Can't remember which years.

I use a shop vac to draw as much fluid out of the heads/block as possible (after draining of course) to minimize splliage onto the pistons before I remove the heads.

Have another look at the comments made by others here. There are plenty of posts on this subject......

Enjoy

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good information here. Pictures give a feel for how much work the project is. FYI:The dealer quote was $3,100 parts and labor. You can see from the pictures the hard line for the fuel. Also you can see the thermostat housing that is under the intake manifold near the windshield. These heads were slightly out of tolerance so they were resurfaced. Yes, take the hood off; there are no alignment issues and its only four nuts.

Jerry

Last edited:

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good write up...

I have 72,000 miles on my '95. I'm pretty sure my gaskets have never been changed either. I don't currently have any leaking, and the block doesn't show any signs that I could see, when it was on the lift.

Sorry if this is a stupid question: What could happen if this gaskets are not replaced? thanks

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good write up...

I have 72,000 miles on my '95. I'm pretty sure my gaskets have never been changed either. I don't currently have any leaking, and the block doesn't show any signs that I could see, when it was on the lift.

Sorry if this is a stupid question: What could happen if this gaskets are not replaced? thanks

The original gasket design allows coolant to permeate through it, and as a result, causes corrosion/pitting on the head and deck surfaces. The longer it is installed, the worse the problem gets. The same goes for any of the coolant containing Paper gaskets. Over time, they do the same thing. Changing coolant often helps, but isnt a real solution.

Last edited:

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had two Vipers with no external leaks. The engine block was clean. The leaks were from the water jacket to the piston = Blowing white smoke at random. Pressure test of the coolant system and cylinders showed no problems. We knew there was a leak based on smoke. So…. you will either see external leak (and smell it) or you will see white smoke. Until it leaks, I would not worry about it. Knowing that it is an issue, I would just do a quick inspection whenever the hood is open.

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats CRAPPY ... head gasket issues on a car with such few miles ... I guess its more of a TIME issue? ---

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ It's not the miles.

These cars were designed back in the late 80s....when V10, big cube engines didn't go into cars. It's an engineering failure and a first gen flaw. It's not a big deal to fix. As stated $600 and a day or two in the garage. Dan's MLS gaskets solve the problem so why wait? If your gen 1 needs attention get a set and go to work.

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, I didnt put 2+2 together to see you all were talking about a GEN 1 Flaw. This was fixed in the gen 2 engines? ---

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thats CRAPPY ... head gasket issues on a car with such few miles ... I guess its more of a TIME issue? ---

Time is a factor, yes, but the irony is that the cars driven less tend to have the problem earlier. As best I can tell, the cars driven more tend to have more maintenance, and due to the OEM green silicate based coolant type used in the earlier cars, the cars with it changed more frequently tend to degrade at a slower rate. In general, this is tied to more frequent driving.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, I didnt put 2+2 together to see you all were talking about a GEN 1 Flaw. This was fixed in the gen 2 engines? ---

Yes- for the most part. Gen-2's don't have the head gasket problem, but they still do contain an assortment of paper gaskets, which are indeed subject to similar faults and failures.