Header choice field is REALLY crowded. How do you choose?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man this header choice field is really gettin crowded!
Let's see:
Belanger
Edelbrock
SVSi
B&B
Borla
ViperMed's new set (is it out yet?)

Whew! How do you decide? I "guess" I want low to midrange HP and TQ gains right?
From what I have been reading in the couple of recent threads is that Belanger seems to be very popular with no fitment woes.

****** had some issues with frame clearence and o2 **** location
Haven't heard much from the owners of the others though.
Then there's the stock headers. Is the HP gained vs money spent worth it?
Guess I'll narrow it down to 2 or 3 and flip a coin! LOL!!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have to ask then perhaps you dont really need them?

I am sorry but usualy people buy aftermarket power mods to make more power. Right?

So your choice is simple you pick the one that makes the most power.

OP
OP
V

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't plan on any power adders, and the car is just street driven.
I am my own "tuner", and it appears that tey all produce "around" the same gains. Even though for a stock tube and filters car it is a terrible bang for the buck option.
I guess I will go with the easiest install and the least expensive (Belanger).
Thanks for everyones help :)

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
T&D's + Valaya Headers added 46.5HP and 22TQ. Already had hi-flo mufflers, but went to hi-flo cats. This is on a Gen I.
Just additional information, and another header to throw into the mix. :)

Wolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valaya is the local Viper shop in San Jose, CA, run by Ted May. Headers were designed by Ted and the headers fit the Vipers perfectly.
Here is the link to their website:
http://www.valayaracing.com/index.html

Unfortunately, the headers are not on the site, but give Ted a call, he can fill you in on the design.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have Random Tech hi-flo cats and Corsa 3" Exhaust, does that impact which of these would be easier / harder to have installed?

OP
OP
V

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you welded up at the "engine side" of the cat?
I believe most give you the 3" collector / elbow pipe that goes to the front side of your cat.

Belangers seem to be the "easiest" install friendly header from what I have gathered.

I was going this route until I realized that the BFTB factor was pretty slim with GEN2 stock SS headers.

RON98GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
>>Are you welded up at the "engine side" of the cat?
I believe most give you the 3" collector / elbow pipe that goes to the front side of your cat.<<

Man, i didnt get those elbows with my kit from B&B. They told me the kit had everything I needed to install. I took my car apart and the elbows were nowhere to be found. i called them back and they told me that I had to modify my OEM elbows and add extender pipes to them. I had to fabricate both sides to make it work. I am really pissed about all the work it caused me and I didnt even get an apology or anything. I asked them several times before purchasing it, if it would bolt right up and if the kit came complete. The girl (i should have known at this point) told me the kit was complete and everything was in the box to complete the install.
I love my exhaust, but I LOATHE B&B right now.

OP
OP
V

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe B&B has 2 distinct part numbers for their Viper cat-back systems. One is a cat-back using stock cats, and the other is if you are using their headers WITH their cat-back. Maybe they sent you the wrong one?