Header Trauma

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want a good set of headers:dunno: .Belangers have the pickle:dunno: ...Edelbrocks crushed at the collector:dunno: ...B&Bs, :dunno: TNTs, Borlas:dunno: can rattle with no flex pipe...Slip fits leak, rattle...1-5/8 or:dunno: 1-3/4...cut the frame for clearance,:dunno: shim motor mounts,:dunno: 02sensor extentions :dunno: ..the list goes on...I am F/N sick about buying an overpriced set of headers for my VIPER...Does anyone have a a difinitive answer to this mystery???..P.S. I have a Roe blower car which will throw another friggin iron into the fire...I cant take it much more....Thanks...AL:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :omg:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have some 1-3/4" similar to the Belanger and no pickle for very reasonable money.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Al, did you see the post by ILLSMOQ on Kooks headers for his Gen 3? Don't know if they make a Gen 2 header but it's certainly worth looking into.

I called Kooks a little while ago to see if they had a set of headers for the Viper. I heard they might be making them and I knew they had a big following with the LS1/Mustang crowd. Anyway, I talked to George R. and sure enough they just finished developing headers for the SRT-10. So I ordered a set. Here is a link to their site Kooks Viper SRT-10 headers

Here is a pic of all the parts - 304 SS, 1 3/4" primaries, merge collector, v bands and flex pipes. this is the offroad version. I was suprised to see secondary o2 sensor bungs since this is an offroad version, but they will come in handy for wide band o2 sensors in the future. I also liked how the bungs are angled instead of straight in like the Belangers, that should make pinching and melting wires less of a problem.
headerkit.JPG

Stock tubular manifold next to the new Kooks header
headercompare.JPG

The collector
collector.JPG

From 3500 all the way up there is a good 25 to 30 wheel horsepower gain from the headers alone. Same thing with the torque. Climate conditions were very similar on both dyno runs.

The sound has also changed for the better. Overall it sounds bigger/deeper. It's a bit more mellow at idle and cruising. It's a little louder than it was at WOT but it's not as earsplitting as it used to be and it sounds real good.

The install was pretty tough since these are one piece headers unlike the Belangers that are 3 piece. The engine has to be moved over a few inches each way to get the headers in and almost everything else in the engine compartment had to come out or be moved....I'm thinking the supercharger will be easier. :laugh:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an ugly truth, but in general, overall, the aftermarket sux. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if I had started with a stock car, I would have never changed the exhaust.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Kook's about a Gen II set, they said if there was demand they would build them. So start calling because their systems are the most complete. They are the most reasonable as well. I would buy them as well.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this topic has been discussed many many times. There IS no definitive answer. It just depends on what your preferences are and what you are planning to do.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the header story has been beaten over many times, but what really hasn't shown up yet in the aftermarket is a truly complete system that uses the OEM standard. That is, a short header with V-bands not flanges, smooth flex connectors and a merge style collector. To top it off, the transitional pipe from the flex connector and a proper set of high flow cats. I still believe that the SVS style header is the top of the line, but you can't beat the complete system concept that Kook's offers for the GEN III. When you factor in all the costs to complete an entire header package, they simply are a bargain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960