HEADERS, Why do they cost so much for a Viper

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other header systems sell for a fraction of the cost of Viper headers , am I the only one that thinks we are getting ripped off? I know they have 10 as compared to 8 , but still somebody should build a decent set for under a grand!! With all the V-10's on the road now , some aftermarket company should step up to the plate!!!!( anybody have a decent used set for sale for my 97 GTS?)

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same reason everything else costs so much for a Viper--too few cars on the road. All the development costs, marketing costs, etc. have to be spread over a tiny fraction of the potential sales you would have for anything else. Which is not to say certain Viper parts don't have an element of ripoff in them, but most have far less than you would think. Just be glad there are some choices, and you can find some better deals if you look around enough (relatively speaking, of course).

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always thought the same thing. It's the exact reason I don't have a set on my car. Too rich for my blood or should I say $1500 for what 25-40HP or spend $1000 on nitrous and you can get up to 200HP.HMMMM.......... I know what I did. Simply put there are just not that many vipers out there for the masses. The ones that want headers that bad will pay the extra money to yield the most ponies so that makes it competitive. Have you noticed that even Edelbrock wants $1200-1300 for theirs. Edelbrock sells a set of aluminum heads,camshaft,intake and carb packages for that (small block chevy/fords). If Edelbrock doesn't make them cheap then I can't think of anybody else that will.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't the fact that Viper headers are stainless steel have something to do with the cost??

Call Ted May at Valaya Racing for his price (408) 448-8811

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers and ported heads are two examples I usually give to highlight the high prices of aftermarket upgrades for Vipers.

Regular performance headers for a V8 Mustang cost around $200, with ceramic coated ones for around $400.

And Viper headers run between $2500 and $4000. Come On!!!

I understand about volume sales, but it's not exactly rocket science to build them, and the materials are not expensive.

I'm putting 3.55 gears in next week, but you can bet that I would have installed headers a year ago if they were around $800-$1000. And I'd bet that many if not most Viper owners would have added headers to their cars at those prices.

-Dean.

OP
OP
V

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might go with some stock 2000 and up headers for my 97 , but how much HP would I gain as compared to the other high dollar headers? I currently have the cats and mufflers deleted , but will be putting on Dynomax race mufflers soon.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no gains other than weight loss, sizes and configurations are the same the only difference in the 98 up headers is they were made of stainless steel which accounts for the weight loss about 23lbs

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price headers cost makes me wanna buy a bender and welding gear. Then kick out a reasonable priced solution that guys like me can afford.
I figure I'll loose several hundred bucks on each set sold but I plan to make up for it with volume!
laugh.gif

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too thought the price was out of line for the Bellanger's, but the gains noticed, in my opinion, are worth it. Unlike nitrous, as mentioned, there are no side effects like accelerated engine wear, fuel economy loss (I know, not an issue), or driveability problems. All gain. Besides, nitrous cannot sound as good as this exhaust system, and I've never had to fill a bottle. Go with the headers, you won't regret it. Listen to some other cars before you decide. Some make more torque, or horsepower, or just the sound may determine the choice. John

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save your money. Of all the mods I have done headers were the most expensive and the most disappointing. The heat generated by
them is distructive to everything under the hood. In 3 months of
use I have had to replace the throttle cable,NOS controller and
spark plug wires.

I was warned but didn't believe it until the problems started.
A friend who also put his own at the same time,lost his brakes at a track event due to boiling of the brake fluid in just a few laps.

Catbacks are the best way to go in my opinion on 98 and newer cars without any internal work.

If you decide to get them heat shields are a must and the Roe
fan kit helps some because it keeps air flowing through the engine area after the car is off.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price has kept me from putting headers on mine. I was unaware of the additional heat problems associated with the headers. Thanks for the info, it makes my decision to save the extra $ easier.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay,
I spoke with a guy a JetHot and he told me that their coating actually insulates the header and results with cooler engine compartment temps as compared to stock exhaust and heat shields.

Hmmm, are you guys speaking of non-coated after market headers or was the guy giving me the "business". Not knowing the thermal properties of their finished product I can't make any descision about the subject. He did say the headers will run cooler than the stock setup including heat shields and nothing will fry.

B.S. or true....Anyone

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he is correct,that is the advantage of ceramic coating or jet hot coating it also depends on the amt of heat it is exposed to during the process the more the better,I have installed a lot of systems over the years(all coated)and have never had a problem of anything melting or overheating of any components unless it comes in direct contact with the header,and that is without heat shields

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the PRICE of headers for the V10 that is in the trucks? I realize the primaries can be longer, but what is the diff at the heads???

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, what are the cost of these truck headers? I'll bet they can be adapted if where they bolt up to the heads are the same.

Mike

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermed,

Are you positive on the nil gain on 98+ headers over manifolds? I thought Henri and Janni Cone put some on (one of their) GTS cars and dyno'd 10 or 12 picked up.

Never was reflected on gross ratings as it was a moot point and the rumor mill of the "no NGR" cam making a little less power was a wash with the newer headers.

Who knows, I bought em, coating them and putting them on at the same time as high flows, so we will see what I gain over my manifolds. Ideally I would dyno twice to only change onee element at a time (remembered somthing from school), but it's a winter project so total gain it is. Weight savings is all gravy.

take care, save some pads for me when I get down there in a few weeks.

more on topic, the big headers are not very effective horse vs $$$$, but surely allow other mods to pass thru with less restriction. Would think full headers on a Roe or DLM project would pick up some serious horse over OEM, more in line with 50 or more.

Heck there was a thread a while back in the performance section with a documented 50 horse gain on exhaust end to end on a stock cammed 96-97 car, worth noting.......

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the issue of heat and coatings, Are the Bellanger's coated? I know they are not stainless, think they are aluminized. I would hope that for the price they would be coated! What's the differance between the "Jet Hot" coating and "Ceramic" coatings? anybody know?

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a set of Fenderwell step headers (2">2.125")custom made for my blown 64 Nova and it only cost me $1150.00. If it wasn't for the fact that I need to have smog legal headers on the Viper, I would have the same person make a custom set for my Viper.

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't that the factory headers can put out some wind just take off your cats and put a borla straight thru muffler in each side seal and stand behind the car or the side and feel the force of the exhaust come out. Its the cats that stop the flow. You can barely feel the exhaust stock but after you take out the cats there is one hell of a difference. I'v done it on my first 3 snakes. Picked up 14 rear wheel horsepower.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>On the issue of heat and coatings, Are the Bellanger's coated? I know they are not stainless, think they are aluminized. I would hope that for the price they would be coated! What's the differance between the "Jet Hot" coating and "Ceramic" coatings? anybody know?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Bellanger's are coated.

Jet Hot is a ceramic coating.

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger Headers are also made of Mild Steel which runs cooler than Stainless Steel Headers, which also keeps the under hood temps down.

And I agree, the Belanger setup does sound the best!

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are Belangers-they are hot-very hot. I agree with Wayne,cut the exhaust side of the factory cats and weld on 3" pipe add a
new muffler and 90 degree elbow,on a early R/T with side exits
you will spend less than 500.00.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
They won't on some and they will on some: ie: (balanger & B&B tri-y stainless)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab:
will the stock heat sheilds work on aftermarket headers?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>