Headlight switch bulb

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know if this is removable? I'm replacing all my dash lights with red bulbs, but I can't get the bulb out of the headlight switch (and I can't believe that if the bulb burnt out, I would have to buy a whole new headlight switch...).

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it is removable, but very difficult to get out. You have to push down and twist. It takes some force, but don't break the glass or you will be buying a new switch.
If you are looking to replace it with a red bulb or LED, good luck. I searched, and searched, and found nothing. It has an odd base.
What I ended up doing was painting it very lightly with red paint so it would glow red.
Let me know what you come up with.

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the base is pretty easy to get out with a pair of needle nose pliers once you break the glass:D

Looks like http://www.superbrightleds.com/ has bulbs that will fit (7mm round base). I'm ordering one and will let you know how it works.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I'll have to look at it again
when I had it out the first time it didn't look like anything that is available
let me know how it works

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, I posted some pics of my swap awhile back on another thread.

here is a sample of how it turned out
You must be registered for see images attach

it is much brighter red in real life

I used LEDs from autolumination.com
superbrightleds.com has come a long way, they used to be very limited on selection

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that other thread. So you colored the bulb in the defroster switch too--how did you get the switch apart?

I also use vleds.com; between that site and superbrightleds.com you can find just about anything.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, I didn't get into that one
I'm not sure it even lights up on my 97, I know the window switches don't

I did take the dash light dimmer apart to change out the orange LED for a red one

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new bulb got here yesterday, and fits. I used a BA7; you can find it on the superbrightleds.com site by going to "car bulbs", then "twist-lock instrument panel bulbs", and clicking on the link to "other bulbs" at the bottom of the page.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4