heads & cam package

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased an extended factory warranty (100,000 miles) from my local Dodge dealer. So happens that this dealership is affiliated with a car racing company just a couple of miles down the road. The performance shop advises me to proceed with a heads/cam upgrade over a supercharger because 1. this will not affect the extended warranty on the engine etc 2. it will provide me with the 100 or so hp increase that I am seeking while being more compatible with the exhaust/emissions system presently in place on the vehicle.

So I want to do a little research of my own to see which heads/cam package might offer the best performance for the dollar. Are there many choices?

Although I am an avid reader of all the generous responses to my questions and am learning from each and other topics on Viperclub, I am embarrassed to confess that I am usng the term "heads/cam package" without really understanding what it means. I have driven sports cars since 1972 (V12 Jaguar E-type back then) and have never known what goes on under the hood or elsewhere for that matter.

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure there's lots of choices out there. It depends how much power you want to make and be aware that an agressive cam will drop your gas miliage some. If your worried about that sorta thing. :D JM makes a nice aftermarket head called the stryker with your choice of 2.040 to 2.150 intake valves and 1.580 to 1.625 exhausts valves. Greg good can do wonders on your stock heads if you ship them to him, you can find him on this site. Also he will be able to give you good cam advice as well. Also i'd recomend doing some headers and 3in exhaust as well to maximize your upgrade.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is quite a bit involved when doing a proper head and cam package. You get what you pay for (use the best parts).

We are always available to give advice.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc.
310-841-6996

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 for the head and cam route!

I've always gone with the head and cam packages over the s/c or t/t choices, see my signature below (and we felt we had about 540-ish rwhp if we could have ever dyno tuned it). I've never seen myself in a 1,100 RWHP car as being a reality. The HP a good head and cam package will give me, is a real blast and worth the money. But, I tend to like the naturally aspirated HP myself.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
1 for the head and cam route!

I've always gone with the head and cam packages over the s/c or t/t choices, see my signature below (and we felt we had about 540-ish rwhp if we could have ever dyno tuned it). I've never seen myself in a 1,100 RWHP car as being a reality. The HP a good head and cam package will give me, is a real blast and worth the money. But, I tend to like the naturally aspirated HP myself.

DITTO.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Sure there's lots of choices out there. It depends how much power you want to make and be aware that an agressive cam will drop your gas miliage some. If your worried about that sorta thing. :D JM makes a nice aftermarket head called the stryker with your choice of 2.040 to 2.150 intake valves and 1.580 to 1.625 exhausts valves. Greg good can do wonders on your stock heads if you ship them to him, you can find him on this site. Also he will be able to give you good cam advice as well. Also i'd recomend doing some headers and 3in exhaust as well to maximize your upgrade.

Don't forget the upgraded valve springs, retainers, lifters, K&N filters, smooth tubes, 1.7 ratio T&Ds, alum. flywheel, short shifter, Unitrax halfshafts and StopTech brakes to slow the beast down. Also, get a VEC2 to tune for max. HP & TQ from your mods and proper A/F ratio so you don't blow up running too lean.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic...has anyone here done a similar setup on a GEN 1? What was the HP/Torque gains and how much did it cost? Thanks.. :2tu:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is quite a bit involved when doing a proper head and cam package. You get what you pay for (use the best parts).

We are always available to give advice.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc.
310-841-6996
Dans an awesome guy, when i forst bought my car they inspected it since i was stationed in West Africa and couldn't be there to look at it. They also did some warranty work, and my exhaust, which i am VERY pleased with! Great guy to do business with!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang