Heed the warnings; they're true !

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been said 100s of times here to change your PS pump pulley and mounting bracket if you have the gen 2 with the plastic pulley.

I had no ill effects and could not see anything wrong. I was just being preventative by doing mine yesterday.

My bracket was spilt diagonally and only about 1/8inch remained before it was 2 pieces.:omg::omg:

Thanks again VCA :2tu:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been said 100s of times here to change your PS pump pulley and mounting bracket if you have the gen 2 with the plastic pulley.

I had no ill effects and could not see anything wrong. I was just being preventative by doing mine yesterday.

My bracket was spilt diagonally and only about 1/8inch remained before it was 2 pieces.:omg::omg:

I think that I am starting to get the message. I've inspected mine as best as I can without disassembly, and see nothing wrong. But, then again, I do quite a few 500+ mile trips across pretty sparsely populated areas. I'm thinking that it just might be worth it as extra insurance. It will never happen to me unless I don't do it.

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that I am starting to get the message. I've inspected mine as best as I can without disassembly, and see nothing wrong. But, then again, I do quite a few 500+ mile trips across pretty sparsely populated areas.This is a "NO BRAINER" and alot cheaper than a 500+ mile tow back home!. It will happen to me unless I do it.

Fixed it for ya!:2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's plastic...its going to crumble sooner or later. Replace it and be rid of the worries.

Last edited:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a previous "my p/s pulley broke" thread, I made the knee-**** reaction and went on and replaced mine. My car had 80k'ish miles on it then, so I figured it was on borrowed time. I ordered the pulley and bracket from Big Brake Dave. They were on sale for $25 off and I used my $25 Venom credit, so I saved $50 from the regular price. When we replaced the pieces, my stock pulley did have some cracks in it. Not sure if it was done when we removed it or if the cracks were already there, but it really doesn't matter. Now I know that I'm not gonna end up stranded due to a busted pulley or bracket!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the gen 1's it's just the bracket that needs changed I believe. Anyone have a pic of the stock bracket so I can find out if mine is still the original?

Thanks,
Stretch

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This is a "NO BRAINER" and a lot cheaper than a 500+ mile tow back home!. "
Fixed it for ya!:2tu:

Thanks for the "fix."

"NO BRAINER" :rolaugh:
Yes, that describes many of my past decision making processes !!

Hey, these things only ever happen to the OTHER guy. Yeah, right. :omg:

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does this also apply on 2002 GTS? If so where to get it?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this issue has come up recently in a couple if threads

respecting Sean's move, i have held back contacting him,:eater: but do you think if enough of us who are serious pm him, he would do a group buy? :confused: (or however we let them know there is an interest that would not waste their time)

Dave's is fine too, but as i understand it Sean's fits my budget parameters better :crazy2:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks again VCA :2tu:

Do we know which years have the plastic pulley and why does the bracket fail.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jim,

Thanks for posting this. Quick questions. Did you do this work yourself in your garage? It doesn't look too easy for the novice! I just read this excellent thread in the illustrated section. Is this the info you used? Which new pulley and bracket solution did you buy? If you did it yourself, how long did it take?

Here is the "how to" thread

http://forums.viperclub.org/illustr...-pulley-bracket-replacement-guide-photos.html

OP
OP
A

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jim,

Thanks for posting this. Quick questions. Did you do this work yourself in your garage? It doesn't look too easy for the novice! I just read this excellent thread in the illustrated section. Is this the info you used? Which new pulley and bracket solution did you buy? If you did it yourself, how long did it take?
John, after your garage project,this would seem simple. I followed the how-tos and did have to take my pump completely off as the pulley was seized on pretty good and I feared I would break something in the vicinity of the pump if I kept trying. I have the pump off on my bench awaiting parts from Dave's big brakes. I sucked out all the fluid first so it wasn't too messy. I took the airbox right off to make the access to the belt tensioner and pump easier and took the opportunity to clean it all up while off.Took about an hour so far but I wasn't rushing. Should have the parts tomorrow. I wouldn't pay someone to do it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My pulley broke during the last session on a Sebring track day. I replaced the pulley and the bracket.

My 98 RT/10 has 114,000 and I've got a pulley and bracket sitting on the shelf. Gotta get around to replacing it soon.

Also replace the high pressure hose when you make the change. Being so close to the exhaust makes it brittle and shortens it's life span.

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After a previous "my p/s pulley broke" thread, I made the knee-**** reaction and went on and replaced mine. My car had 80k'ish miles on it then, so I figured it was on borrowed time. I ordered the pulley and bracket from Big Brake Dave. They were on sale for $25 off and I used my $25 Venom credit, so I saved $50 from the regular price. When we replaced the pieces, my stock pulley did have some cracks in it. Not sure if it was done when we removed it or if the cracks were already there, but it really doesn't matter. Now I know that I'm not gonna end up stranded due to a busted pulley or bracket!

Chad: I had spoken to Chuck the Wiz when I bought mine 2 years ago, and he said we didn't have to worry about the p/s bracket or pulley on our cars. Did I miss understand him, cuz I've had my car to his place 2 or 3 times, and he's never mentioned anything about replacing it. I will call him again to confirm, but I only though it was the full Gen II cars that had that worry.........

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad: I had spoken to Chuck the Wiz when I bought mine 2 years ago, and he said we didn't have to worry about the p/s bracket or pulley on our cars. Did I miss understand him, cuz I've had my car to his place 2 or 3 times, and he's never mentioned anything about replacing it. I will call him again to confirm, but I only though it was the full Gen II cars that had that worry.........

Hey Chris, not to argue with Chuck, but on my car, I did have the cheap bracket (potmetal junk) and a plastic pulley. Big Brake Dave called me a couple days after he mailed the parts just to confirm he did send what I needed. He told me to put a magnet on the stock pulley (it was still on the car), if its sticks, I was ok. It didn't stick, so thats how we determined for sure my pulley was plastic. The bracket is even more of a joke. It weighs less than air! So, I'd say yes you do need to upgrade both. I'm really surprised both pieces didn't break a long time ago considering how many miles are on the car.

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Chris, not to argue with Chuck, but on my car, I did have the cheap bracket (potmetal junk) and a plastic pulley. Big Brake Dave called me a couple days after he mailed the parts just to confirm he did send what I needed. He told me to put a magnet on the stock pulley (it was still on the car), if its sticks, I was ok. It didn't stick, so thats how we determined for sure my pulley was plastic. The bracket is even more of a joke. It weighs less than air! So, I'd say yes you do need to upgrade both. I'm really surprised both pieces didn't break a long time ago considering how many miles are on the car.

Chad: I did the magnet test, and it appears that my pulley is plastic; I may touch base with Chuck and see if I misunderstood him when I was talking to him way back when............