Heinricy wins T1 in a Viper!

Prfgdwrnch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gm performance guru John Heinricy won the Sunday T1 race in the SCCA double National at Pocono. After missing qualifying for Saturday's race, Heinricy drove a Phoenix Racing Corvette from last to second place passing 40 cars but not the race winning Phoenix Racing SRT-10 driven by 18 year old Andrew Aquilante.
For Sunday's race, Heinricy qualified on the pole in Aquilante's Viper. When the green flag fell, Heinrcy checked out. He put enough distance between himself and the rest of the field to be in another zip code. Heinricy won and set a new lap record.

Who says SRT-10s are not competitive in T1!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! Congrats! Now expect rules change to shrink the intake restrictors to the size of a dime. Maybe add another 200lbs too.

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! Congrats! Now expect rules change to shrink the intake restrictors to the size of a dime. Maybe add another 200lbs too.

That would be the GM teams plan, the whole weekend was choreographed between aquilante and heinricy to do just that...

sbw

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They sure spent a lot of money getting an SRT out on the track for a T1 rules change in amatuer racing. Amazing.

I can't believe that GM would even let Heinricy DRIVE a Viper, let alone complete and kick his own car's ass.

While they may get the rules tightened, and win the Championship - it's a Pyrrhic victory having to do it by showing what a vastly superior car the Viper is......

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Heinricy did not run a Viper, Andrew Aquilante did. From last to second says alot about Heinricy and his numerous National Championships. Andrew drove a strong race , but he was up front, not in the back. SCCA probably wants to work hard to keep things more equal than in the past, as they made it a Vette parade with all the restrictions on the Viper.

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heinricy did not run a Viper, Andrew Aquilante did. From last to second says alot about Heinricy and his numerous National Championships. Andrew drove a strong race , but he was up front, not in the back. SCCA probably wants to work hard to keep things more equal than in the past, as they made it a Vette parade with all the restrictions on the Viper.

Actually you are both right AND wrong Bill, On saturday andrew started from pole in the Viper on stickers and was not able to beat the old record from 2 years ago. Heinricy started in the back in a Z06 and ran through all the traffic running just under the record but parked 2.5 seconds behind andrew for the last several laps

Heinricy drove the Viper from pole on Sunday amd set a fast lap on stickers early on with no traffic while andrew drove a Z06. The Viper took the win with a new track record by 1.4 seconds.

Now for the interesting stuff...

1. the viper is required to run with a 40% restricted intake & 280 heavier @ 3560lb than the Z06 @ 3280lb

2. the track record was 2 years old (they hadn't run there in 2 yr) and only broken by the Viper by 1.4

3. track records in T1 have been broken routinely the last 3 years by 1 to 4 seconds at nearly every track

4. andrew and hinricy just broke the Glen record which was only 1 year old by 4 seconds a month ago & the record at Lime Rock by 2 seconds

5. there was an immediate outpour today from the Phoenix racing camp demanding another 188lb be added to the Viper and that the T1 suspension kit be revoked

Phoenix is saying they want to build and sell Vipers but as soon as they got done choreographing this sandbagging Z06 show at Pocono they went right to work trying to petition the SCCA to restrict and further handicap the Viper

So let's see, the GM team builds a Viper and puts thier own VP of Performance Vehicle Development/Pro Driver in it to showcase it strengths and then lumbers around with theior other hotshoe in it's own Z06's to show how much better the Viper is even though it is severely handicapped as it is and then petitions SCCA to handicap it further...

And then tells us they want our business building and selling Vipers... Uhuh...

On another thread someone said, if it looks and smells like ****, I think I'd refrain from swallowing it... :2tu:

sbw :usa:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can ya imagine how that conversation went???

JH: Oh SCCA Officials.... we need to talk.

SCCA: What's up Mr GM BigWig?

JH: I just drove that Viper in the race.

SCCA: Yeah - we saw. Weird, but nice job.

JH: Well, the car is patently unfair. You need to do something about it.

SCCA: What do you mean? We've already put throttle restrictors on it and really not allowed many changes?

JH: Well, I mean, did you SEE what I did? I... I... I broke the track record! I was amazing in THAT CAR

SCCA: Congratulations. That one is gonna be a little hard to explain back at work on Monday, isn't it? :)

JH: Well - are ya gonna do something?

SCCA: Why - it was good racing.

JH: It's... it's.... it's UNFAIR! THAT CAR has way too much of a competitive edge in T1.

SCCA: Please elaborate.

JH: Well, I mean - look what I did in that car -I smoked the field. THAT CAR, well, it's so far superior than the other cars in the same class that it's unfair.

SCCA: You mean the car, with limited mods and a throttle restrictor is way better than your Corvette.

JH: yes! it's WAY better than the Cor.... ahem. No - it has an unfair advantage over other cars in the field.

SCCA: I am guessing that is gonna be harder to explain on Monday than the win, John. We'll take a look at it. Your method is a bit extreme, doin't ya think? Ya could have just sent us an email.....

JH: mumble, mumble.....

Phoenixviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This Viper is an awesome car.... Kudos and congratulations to the Dodge engineers who design and build the car... They have done an excellent job..

The brakes are virtually bullet proof and the same set of brake pads has lasted the ****** run test day as well as a full double national at pocono.

The handling is very good, and the Phoenix development team will continue working on it and make it better... When we are finished with the suspension tuning, it will out run virtually any Corvette anywhere...

Power was virtually unaffected by the resrictor plate. We shifted at 5300 RPMS and used 5th gear on the straights. It kept pulling at any RPM... Torque was steady and always available...

The look of the car at speed had onlookers gasping... A cool car!!!

Purchased off of the internet last March with only 500 miles on it, it is completely stock except for the SCCA approved parts and the required restrictor plate and ballast weight...

We will keep everyone posted on how it does in the upcoming races!!!

Phoenixviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and one more item... Hoosier tires... You either have them, or you need them...

We used Hoosiers with several heat cycles on them and they handled the weight and heat with no problems!!! GREAT TIRES!!!

Anyone have any questions on this project or would like more info, just give me a call... We love to talk about cars and makeing them perform better!!

Ask for Joe

800-217-7870
Phoenix Performance,
Phoenix Vipers
Phoenixville Pa.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4