HELP - Gen 1 Fuel Leak!!??

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellow Viper members, please help me out - I own a '95 RT/10. I drove it out of the garage tonight into my driveway (all was well - no probs). After an hour or so, I tried to start her up and she cranked over for more than 10 seconds a couple of times. First response would be bad fuel pump; however, I had it replaced about 3000 miles ago (both fuel pump and filter at about 15,000 miles - car now has 18,000 miles). I suddenly smelled gas - stepped out of the car and on the driver's side rear tire area I saw fuel leaking ALL over my driveway!!!!!???? :mad::mad::mad: I waited a few minutes and the fuel stopped leaking. Tried to start her again and same thing happened: engine cranked way too long and fuel leaked. After a few minutes, the fuel leak stopped again. Luckily, my awesome neighbours helped me push the car back into the garage (slight incline, so I needed the help).

Please - any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions to what this might be would be apreciated...:confused: any chance the work I got done on the fuel pump/filter was done incorrectly?? It was done last August (and again, I only put about 3000 miles since the work was done - and by a local Dodge dealership with certified Viper tech <or so I am told>)??

Thanks everyone in advance!

BC Viper

V

Venomiss

Last edited by a moderator:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driver's side rear is where the fuel filter is (on a Gen 2 anyway). The quick-connect fittings are sometimes a bear to get off.....its possible that the fittings were damaged by the folks who replaced the filter and its leaking at that spot. Its not hard to get a look at the filter (search for the threads in here on it) but its in a confined space so use a good flashlight to really see what's going on

Reaction score
I concur with DrumrBoy; the filter on the Gen I is located on the driver side rear and it's not uncommon for the fuel line to "pop-off" if it wasn't firmly snapped into place.

Not a difficult repair, just make sure you hear a click when you re-insert the fuel line.

Good Luck!

:drive:

OP
OP
B

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I'll keep you all posted once I know for sure... Viper owners are THE best!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with above posts about a possible connector problem.

One other point to consider is the filter itself: I had the fuel filter changed on our 2001 Viper (same filter for 92-02) and drove the car 3 miles to our garage...and winter hit !! About 2 months later, I mover the car out of the garage, did full warm-up, then reparked it. One hour later, there was a strong smell of fuel coming from the garage and upon inspection, fuel was dripping off of the filter. I ASSUMED that it was a connector, but could not move the car to my lifts for repair as the snows returned shortly thereafter.

Fortunately, Tom Sessions came to town in March...and kindly made a late night house-call, complete with a fiber-optic, color-screen borescope. With the fuel pump on, a small leak was confirmed in the CRIMP OF THE FUEL FILTER ITSELF...and NOT the connectors !!! We took the car to the deaership where Tom was working the next morning and Tom put on another new fuel filter...problem solved!!

In speaking with Viper Wizard Chuck Tator, he told me that he has also seen/heard of a couple of new fuel filters with the same defect !!!

Stay alert !!!

OP
OP
B

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just found out the cause - the fuel line somehow disconnected to the fuel filter??!!! Simple fix - makes it for a good day! Now - if the rain stops, it would be an even better day taking 'her' out for a qucik spin!