HELP HELP......crank pulley BOLT is NOT coming lose?? how to get it off

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
doing a timing cover gasket job here on a 96 GTS, and have most stuff apart, and trying to remove crank pulley, but the bolt is on there so tight, will not lose up....tryed long bar and air tools, still NO, any trick or any way or am i doing something wrong? HELP HELP...thanks

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always tap the frozen bolts with a ballpeen hammer. Sometimes it jars them loose. You have used penetrating oil?

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
anyone done this before?? please please help, wanna get the car done by tonight.....

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you have to stop the crank from turning. If you have done that and still can not loosen the bolt, I would heat it.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the crank turning when attempting to loosen the bolt, or stationary?

if it's flinching I think I had someone stand on the binders in the cockpit full tilt in gear and that locked it solid to get a good crack at it.

Reaction score
Very simple.... But BE CAREFUL please!
Unplug all of the injectors. Then, place the lever of the breaker bar on the underside of the frame with the socket on the head of the damper bolt. Leverage it so the bar is locating itself against the frame of the car, keeping in mind the direction of the engines rotation (engine turns to the left). Once again, be careful ... Now you may bump the key will the bar is set tight against the frame and check each time to see if the bolt breaks loose - it will happen.

Good Luck!
Doug

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GOT it, i guess it was simple, called "final GTS", he is good.....leave in 4th gear, e-brake up, brake petal down, long long long brake bar(36-40")..lol..then done, super easy, take total of 30 seconds to get it out....THANKS again dan...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang