Help! I have a hardtop ..question..has anyone a cure for it?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I bought a used hardtop for my 1994 rt/10. It's a mopar top and I had to get the pins replaced because it was made for a 1992. Well I bought the pins from northwind and installed them. When my car goes on uneven surfaces when turning, I hear creaks and the pins sometimes turn themselves loose from the pillar.

Does anyone have a cure for this? Should I get the pins for the soft top and install them on the hardtop? What are the suggestions?

Thanks!

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 1998 hard top. This picture shows how I inserted a piece of clear plastic hose to prevent the knocking sound made by the hardtop on bumpy roads.

You must be registered for see images

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A trick to get rid of the squeaking it to put a little divers mask grease (silicone grease) on the top gaskets. This grease can also be bought at electrical distributors as it is used to make it easier to pull wires through conduit. Works pretty nice. But don't use it if you plan a repaint anytime soon as it will make it rough for the painter to avoid "fish eyes".

If the pins are coming loose they are either the wrong length (if you gave correct measurements to Mike at Northwind they should be OK) or more likely, the handle is not fully rotated and locked. On my top I had to push down pretty hard to get the pins in far enough for me to fully rotate and lock the handles. Sometimes, on the windshield receiver hole, a little foam gets in the wrong place preventing the locking paddle on the pins from fully rotating and seating. It took a little time and patience..... but I used a bent up (very stout) paper clip to get the foam out of the way on mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
veelangs