Help me decide on brakes - PLEASE

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperholics,

Before you read this, realize I read many post on brake upgrades, and am more confused than ever. So please don't ask me to search.
supergrin.gif

OK. Here is my situation. I have a 1998 GTS, and want better overall braking. I am only concerned with street driving, not track. Although I do drive aggressively on the street, wink-wink. I have stock calipers with upgraded front rotors (1 piece - slotted - 13' direct fit) (On car when purchased). Here is my list of 'what's important' - 'what's not':

What's important (In no order of importance):

1.) Increase pedal feel - nice progressive-linear feel to brakes. Modulating brake pressure is a must.
2.) More rear braking so fronts don't lock so quickly.
3.) Increased braking performance.
4.) Less brake noise would be nice.
5.) Less brake dust would be real nice.
6.) Don't want to have to replace rotors every year.
7.) Don't want to have to heat the pads.

What's not important (In no order of importance):
1.) How fast the breaks wear. I only put 5K a year on the car.
2.) Price - Remember, only 5K a year street driving, so I don't expect to replace the pads very often.
3.) Boiling break fluid - remember, street driving.

Alternative:
1.) **** it up and purchase the StopTech front upgrade.
* I would be willing to do this, if you can convince me there is no way to match the breaking performance 'on the street' with my current system (with tweaks ie.. better pads, better brake bias with removal of spring and more aggressive rear pad).

OK. Bring on the advice.

A BIG THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
onerareviper,
I have the StopTech front brake upgrade w/ slotted rotors on my '98 GTS and highly recommend. I get much better braking and great pedal feel. I also put stainless steel lines on the rear and upgraded the rear pads and replaced the rear rotors with a slotted rotor available from StopTech. Use Motul 600 fluid. No brake noise. I don't care about the brake dust, however, you could use EBC Greens. Great balance between front and rear . I am able to panic modulate without front lockup. I personally would not modify your stock setup for more rear brake bias...the potential of rear lockup on a Viper would be nasty and I believe your braking performance would actually be worse. Check the StopTech web site which is excellent for more info. including testing numbers. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS