Help Needed to check out a RT/10

dianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just become a new member can anyone help?

I live in the UK and I'm looking to buy an RT/10 2002 Viper, is there anyone that lives near Champaign Illinois and could check out and test drive the Viper for me, it is at a garage called Auto mall of Champaign (1912 Moreland Blvd Champaign Illinois.)

Any help or feedback on the Viper or garage would be much appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome, way to go dianne.

You have come to the right place, this is exactly what I did when looking for my GTS :2tu:

Have you posted this in the regional section too?

Make sure you get a CarFax done on the car. HPI in the UK is useless.

If you have never imported a car from the USA before some of us in the UK VCA are here to help.

Any questions about Shipping etc ;)

OP
OP
D

dianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks fat boy 18, that bit of info will help when I come to import the Viper

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I guess this is the car you are talking about?

2002 Dodge Viper RT/10 8.0L v10 w/Low Miles $35,980 - Auto Mall of Champaign Champaign Illinois 61822

Have you had any experience with these cars?

My first thoughts,

Tires are old, yes they have plenty of tread, but that will be hard and not good on UK roads. if you do decide to go with the purchase make sure you get new boots fitted, Pilot Sport 2s are the way to go (not the run flats). In these times of recession there are good deals to be had out there, take your time and make sure you get the exact car you want.

If you are looking to have this car in the UK for a couple of years then move it on, you would be better off looking for one with lower mileage ;)

From the pics, the car looks totally standard. The rubber intake tubes are OEM as is the shifter and interior. I don't see any pictures of the soft top? or weather the car also has a later Hard top accessory. You will need them in the UK.
2002 was the final edition year for the Gen2, the car will have ABS which is a good thing ;)

Some of the UK guys who have bought cars from the USA have had their cars shipped to Tators Garage NY for a full fluid change and service before taking the car to the Docks. Chuck Tator is also a regular on the UK scene ;)
Tator's Dodge Is Now Tator's Garage

Have you checked out the Prices of RT/1Os on the UK market?

My thoughts on price/ mileage, If that's the dealers price, its not too bad? you may be able to haggle a bit ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This gives you a breakdown of the VIN No but get a CarFax for $10 via the VCA To check owner history ;)
(or better still, ask nicely on here and a member might do it for you ;)

Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, and Mazda Trucks VIN Decoder

Get the dealer to open the drivers door and take a photo of the Build sticker, details here ;)
International Viper Registry
Then check out he other pages for VIN description, build info etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Fat boy 18, will act on all the info you've said.

OP
OP
D

dianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks but Neil, its actually about 22 grand in the UK about my budget.

OP
OP
D

dianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks but Neil, its actually about 22 grand in the UK about my budget.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it maybe £22K for the viper itself Dianne, but unfortunately there's a lot more costs to come, i think you may need to do some home work :)

the red RT is inland so costs for getting it to the docks (its always cheaper to buy a car close to the docks ;) ) not sure of that figure but allow $500-1000 for enclosed transport

container/shipping and damage insurance back to the UK is around £1500-£2000, then lovely UK VAT and import tax another 30% on top, next prepping for the IVA import and test fees £500, then youll need MOT and road tax £250, and insurance

so your £22 jumps to £32

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, very good point I will think about that and take it into consideration.

Thanks Neil

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think he means its been re-sprayed :dunno: But I'm not sure either :rolleyes:

Trouble with the pics is they do not seem to be Hi Resolution so its hard to tell if there is any small stone chip damage :(

You really do need someone to go and look at it closely

Come on guys, surely someone out there can have a look over the car :eater:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
dianne, I thought by now that someone in the Illinois VCA would have joined this thread with info or an offer to assist.

We do have a Member there, but I don't think that he visits this sight regularly. I will e-mail this thread to him to see if he can help. There is a well known shop there also...known for custom work and painting... including many Vipers.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
come on Fatboy, run flats arent made in sizes to fit stock gen2 wheels ;)
Woops, I was only going on what some ******** UK tire fitter said to me once :( To be fair Ive never tried them but most of you guys who have run the Run Flats did not rate them :( I never new they started at 19"

Sorry for any confusion.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IL VCA has their party and overnight stay this weekend so folks might not be by a computer.

Try Sun. night:)

OP
OP
D

dianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for all your advice, the dealer says its in great condition both in and out but i still need some one to check it for me, before i can proceeded any further

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for a newbie as yourself, put an offer of $100 for someone to take a look and a test drive for you,
thats whats happened in the past

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Our IN/KY VCA Member who lives there will be checking into this car tomorrow. We'll be happy to share his findings with dianne once the info is gathered.

OP
OP
D

dianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve

Thanks thats great news that someone is willing to look it over. look forward to a positive reply.

OP
OP
D

dianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK thanks a lot Steve much appreciated look forward for the info on the car.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
dianne, my contact info is in my profile...will need your e-mail so that I can forward the commemnts of the two gentlemen who will look at the Viper tomorrow. I will also send you some important info and "credentials" on the two kind guys.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
isnt it worth running a carfax first to find any gremlins before the guys go ?
would save wasting the guys time, just incase something nasty pops up,

theres no way i'd even think about buylng a used viper in the US or over here without a carfax, and running the VIN through Chuck first. I realise a carfax isnt fool proof but its a starting point

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
isnt it worth running a carfax first to find any gremlins before the guys go ?
would save wasting the guys time, just incase something nasty pops up,

theres now way i'd even think about buy a used viper in the US or over here without a carfax, and running the VIN through Chuck first. I realise a carfax isnt fool proof but its a starting point

100% agree Neil. Maybe its being done and not being put on here :dunno:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get Chuck T to run the vin first, safes you on carfax payments then if the car is clean on the dodge database run a carfax for a full report....

IVA is easy if you know the right people;)

Where in the UK are you????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang