help -- oil leak on fllor

mvel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the Viper out last night for a few hours. This morning notice a trail of spots into the garage. Looked underneath and had about 1/2 a quart of oit on the floor. Unusual for a 05 with 6700 miles. Any guesses besides the oil pan.
Off to the dealer ihe morn
mvel

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check your oil cooler lines. These commonly leak at the crimp where the rubber meets the metal portions of the lines, they will also leak at the fitting mating points as well.

Not an expensive fix with either new stock lines or if you make new lines to use with an fittings.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Check your oil filter as there have been a few installation issues with some of the newer filters produced early on...gaskets were easily dislodged while installing filter, which can cause gasket to wrinkle and fail.

Sarge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had leaky lines on my 05' at purchase. Had 38K mi. New lines no leaks. Although I'm new here learned from other owners it's a very common issue as noted above.

gutterworks129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check the dip-stick tube that goes into the block. Oil will break down the sealant around the tube were it is inserted into the block. My 04 had sealant around it that failed. I also like to run the OEM Viper filter that says "Viper" on it. Napa and Mobil One leaked on all three Vipers. I have had good luck with that filter, part #05037836ab.

OP
OP
M

mvel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took it to the mechanic today. So far it looks like it's coming from the oil filter. Left oil all over the service area but they seem to have forgiven me.
A cheap fix if it is true. Thanks guys for the help-
mvel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960