Help on cleaning engine compartment

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything Viper specific in terms of spraying engine compartment with water/degreaser? How do u guys clean the area when its really grimy and dirty.

Thanks,

Dave.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same as i use on the outside of the car and i make sure to dry it well. I use towels and a leaf blower.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same as i use on the outside of the car and i make sure to dry it well. I use towels and a leaf blower.

a full shoulder-packed gas-powered leaf blower? I can't see how that would help other than blow some loose dirt away.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a full shoulder-packed gas-powered leaf blower? I can't see how that would help other than blow some loose dirt away.
He means to dry it after the washing is over.

I have always taken my cars to the high pressure do-it-yourself car wash to do the engine compartment. Problems with the Viper is the crazy heat underhood just does not allow for driving to the car wash and spraying cool water on it. A few months ago I figured out a solution. I took my car to a service facility to get the AC recharges after replacing all the o-rings in the leaking AC system. Right next to the shop is a do-it-yourself car wash. They got done with the car about 10:00 am but I did not go to pick it up until about 3:30. I drove the car for about 100 yards into the wash stall and and killed it immediately. Finally! I had the car at the car wash and it was not hot. I don't know what chemical is in those car washes when you switch it to engine degreaser, but it works awesome. I did $1 on degrease, $1 on soap, then $1 on rinse. The top of the block below the intake manifold was a mess and the high pressure stream cleaned it right up. I just blew the injector plugs dry, toweled everything else and drove off with no problems. Now if I can just figure out how to get the bottom side.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The foaming tire/wheel cleaner works very well to get a lot of the small crap off, plus it leaves all the wires/hoses nice and shiny.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anything that needs to be covered when you hose the engine down?

on my vette I always put a plastic bag on the alternator, anything on the viper to watch out for getting tooo wet?

i like to use simple green works great

wanna do the GTS this wk

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont cover anything. just dont flood it. I use a gentle spray setting on my hose nozzle.