HELP...Paint Stained on rockers....???Heat ????

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got my 99 RT and I noticed a couple things.. I had to drive it home from the border and the drivers side rocker near the front at the opening was real hot and the Red paint was blackened. It looks like its baked in pretty good, but I heard of stuff that can be used to get it off the paint.

Also, how hot should the rockers get ? Hot to the touch ??? Should I be putting some header wrap on it to keep it cooler ? It was about 35 degrees out today...

Help me out please ?????

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car is running rich, it will throw more un-burned fuel into the exhaust. The cats are trying to burn it all off and in the process get VERY HOT. Not un-common. The best way to fix it is to go with a good set of High flow cats(PC statement......... :D).

Or do what I and many others have done and cut the cats out completely :2tu: Now without the cats, the side sills never get more than warm and I see about 10 more HP :D Are you still running the stock exhaust?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rockers are easy to take off, but be very carefull so as not to drop them as they slide off the car. 4 screws along he bottom and 6 screws on the top. Take them all off and work the piece off gently.

OP
OP
A

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok...so there are no screws or rivets at the ends then ?

Ok how do I figure out if its running too rich ????? How do I clean the paint ???

Thanks for the feed back guys.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a pic or two to post? As I recall, the cats are located more toward the center of the sills so that's where I'd expect to see any heat related discoloration. The sills remove easily as noted above. Check that the insulation is in there. Guys have been known to remove it to reduce weight when installing a catless exhaust.... No insulation means it will get burning hot to the touch. Normally the sills do get hot but not "peal your skin" hot unless you've been doing some hard driving.

I assume no CEL is lit?

Good luck with it. I'm interested in learning what you find...

OP
OP
A

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will take some pics this weekend. I am going to take the cats off and replace with high flows....Is the exhaust a 2 1/2 or a 3 inch ? I see Belanger has a nice set but they are 3 inches.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If heat caused the paint to discolor, I would not think that the discolorization would be limited to the upper surface of the paint where it could be buffed out. :(

OP
OP
A

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a picture. I will take better ones Sunday.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Picture of 99 GTS stock setup. Have new insulation installed that started burning through already :(.Free flow cat and muffler delete should lower temps :dunno:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
A

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow...thanks for the pics. Is the insulation something I can get throught the dealership or after market ? To install free flows, does the weld have to be cut on the stock cats ?

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a set of Speed Tactics side sill vents for sale in the classifieds...these will help with sill heat.

OP
OP
A

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well ...I took everything apart and the Cat that is the problem is plugged. I took it off and shook it and it sounds like a bucket of bolts. The other one is fine....I will start to look now for an upgrade.. I want to stay away from welding though. Here are some pictures...The sills are on there way to our body shop..going to paint both of them.Before I go through my parts department, how much are those insulation sheets and are there any after markets ???????

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW..... As suspected. Lose the cats.

The question is: Why was it plugged? If it's stock, check the injectors and the coil for issues.... on that side. Somethings going on there...

=J

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See that black fiberglass piece at the front? Cut a hole in that so you can get some air flow. JonB sells louvers for it if you want a finished look or you can use a screen.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Ontario you get sniff tested so you will need cats for the test. I had Viper Specialty (Bflo,NY) creat an easy in and out system using v clamps with straight pipe or high flows depending on needed. GTS Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang