Help - Startech Brakes - 405mm/16''

Danny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Help - Startech Brakes - 405mm/16\'\'

Hi all,

Anyone have any info on the startech brake package? I have the opporunity to buy a set and need to know if this is a good deal or not?

Front Only
New in box
6-piston Fixed Alcon Calipers
405mm or 16'' 2 piece Rotors

Price $5K

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help - Startech Brakes - 405mm/16\'\'

I didn't know they made brakes that big. How much stopping power do these have?!? That could be incredible!

JD

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't know they made brakes that big. How much stopping power do these have?!? That could be incredible!

JD
They have been listed as a part by Brabus/Startech for a long time and require the use of 20" wheels. Here is a pick from the German Startech site:

You must be registered for see images

Looks like the calipers say Brabus rather than Startech.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score

They also have NOT tested these brakes and cannot say that they provide a performance improvement(based on my conversations with them at the last 3 SEMA's)... it's all about bling.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They also have NOT tested these brakes and cannot say that they provide a performance improvement(based on my conversations with them at the last 3 SEMA's)... it's all about bling.

Ya think???? ;)

What is it with people - vendors - just thinking they can throw biga$$ calipers and rotors at something without testing it to make sure the balance is there? Engineers spend a LOT of time on brake systems - it's as important as the "go" part of stuff - and yet, some of the aftermarket guys just grab stuff out the the (expensive) parts bin and build themselves a brake system. Someday, some unsuspecting buyer is going to pay the price for the vendors lack of testing / design / engineering...... Only buy brakes from trusted BRAKE companies that actually do this for a living.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Speaking of balance....

Putting calipers and rotors bigger than the space needle on the FRONT ONLY? Sounds like a winner! lol.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love the bling factor. I think it looks awesome!!

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

May look good, but how much extra unsprung weight are 16" brakes going to add?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

May look good, but how much extra unsprung weight are 16" brakes going to add?

[sarcasm]QUIT ASKING QUESTIONS RELATED TO THE ACTUAL PERFORMANCE OF THIS UPGRADE. JEEZ - WE'RE TALKING ABOUT BRAKES HERE - NOT SOMETHING IMPORTANT.[/sarcasm]

And I hope the memory of how cool they looked is comforting when you lock them up and are unabble to stop in the same distance you used to be able to with the stockers....

Anyone who buys an untested brake system assumes a HUGE risk. Save the bling for the wheels.

And no - $5K isn't a good deal on an untested system.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How many race teams have you seen running rotors that large? Size helps modulation and it disipates heat better but at the expense of increased unsprung weight. The majority of the power increase is from the caliper/pad selection. Look at the stock SRT-10 brake setup, one of the best performing brake combos around. Not many aftermarket upgrades can compete with it and you can still run 18" track wheels.

I have to admit the 16" rotors do fill those 20's quite nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine